Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Namakarana Samskara

Namakarana Samskara

Namaste.

I am currently reading "How to Become a (Better) Hindu" by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami, which was recommended by one of our esteemed forum contributors. In the book, Gurudeva outlines a very practical way for one who was born into another religion to adopt not only the Hindu religion, but the Indian culture as well.

One of the final steps is Namakarana Samskara, which is a ceremony to give one a Hindu name (born Hindus go
    Through this shortly after birth), after which it is necessary to legally change the old name to the new Hindu name, and to being using the new name from thereafter.

At first it seems kind of "Whoa," it certainly is a big step. The more I think about it, however, the more logical sense it makes.

Has anyone that has converted to or adopted Hinduism taken this step? Would you mind sharing your experiences of doing such on this thread? This could be a good resource for newcomers, in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Vasa; 26 July 2012 at 06:58 AM.
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Reality must always be real. It is not with forms and names. That which underlies these is the reality. It underlies limitations, being itself limitless. It is not bound. It underlies unrealities, itself being real. Reality is that which is. It is as it is. It transcends speech. It is beyond the expressions 'existence, non-existence', etc." ~Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi~

Re: Namakarana Samskara

Vannakkam,

That's a wonderful book and I'm glad you're reading it. Has inspired me a lot too. Though I'm Hindu by birth, my family doesn't exactly practise Hinduism rigidly. I'd say we're highly westernised. When I decided that it was my duty to get closer to my ancestral religion, it was books like these which inspired and motivated me.

As to your question, I'll allow the more experienced members to answer.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Vannakkam,

That's a wonderful book and I'm glad you're reading it. Has inspired me a lot too. Though I'm Hindu by birth, my family doesn't exactly practise Hinduism rigidly. I'd say we're highly westernised. When I decided that it was my duty to get closer to my ancestral religion, it was books like these which inspired and motivated me.

As to your question, I'll allow the more experienced members to answer.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Namaste Equinoxji,

That book and this forum have helped me quite a bit in my journey thus far. I just started reading "Dancing With Siva" last night.
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Reality must always be real. It is not with forms and names. That which underlies these is the reality. It underlies limitations, being itself limitless. It is not bound. It underlies unrealities, itself being real. Reality is that which is. It is as it is. It transcends speech. It is beyond the expressions 'existence, non-existence', etc." ~Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi~

Vannakkam Vasa: I had the namakarana, as outlined in the book, in 1980. (Before that book was written, though) It is a serious committed step, and not for everyone. But some people like to go all the way, more or less. Having a Hindu name gives you a constant reminder of who you are. It helps at Hindu temples, with any 'sincerity' questions, and more. When your spouse calls your name, or others address you, automatically its a reminder. Besides that, on a very basic level, if you're a Hindu, it just follows you should have a Hindu name. Muslims have Muslim names. Christians have Christian names. Chinese have Chinese names. Of course this isn't always the case, but generally it is true.

Of course it is not necessary at all. There are many who don't view it in the same way, or feel that changing their name might cause too much pain with their families, or, in the back of their minds, have this feeling that maybe Hinduism is just a passing fad.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste.

Considering that my first name is pagan (Teutonic) and my last name indicates a profession, the only thing I felt needed changing was my middle name, which was a liturgical/spiritual name. It was one I chose upon becoming a member of the church, not given to me by my parents; I have no middle name on my birth certificate. So as the person converted away from Christianity to Hinduism, so did the spiritual name, from Jason to Jainarayan.

OK, so you had to be there.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

I just started reading "Dancing With Siva" last night.
    That makes me feel like reading my copy before sleeping tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Vasa: I had the namakarana, as outlined in the book, in 1980. (Before that book was written, though) It is a serious committed step, and not for everyone. But some people like to go all the way, more or less. Having a Hindu name gives you a constant reminder of who you are. It helps at Hindu temples, with any 'sincerity' questions, and more. When your spouse calls your name, or others address you, automatically its a reminder. Besides that, on a very basic level, if you're a Hindu, it just follows you should have a Hindu name. Muslims have Muslim names. Christians have Christian names. Chinese have Chinese names. Of course this isn't always the case, but generally it is true.

Of course it is not necessary at all. There are many who don't view it in the same way, or feel that changing their name might cause too much pain with their families, or, in the back of their minds, have this feeling that maybe Hinduism is just a passing fad.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EMji,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Personally, I am only an ardha-Hindu like the book says, I have much to learn and experience until I will be ready to take a Hindu name. I feel at the time, though, when I am ready it is a logical step to take. I feel that the steps Gurudeva outlines in the book to clear the subconscious are really important. Once I have finished all of that, as well as turned learning into practice and then practice into experience, I will change my name and bear it proudly!
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasa View Post
    Once I have finished all of that, as well as turned learning into practice and then practice into experience, I will change my name and bear it proudly!
    Seems like a sensible approach. Cleansing the subconscious comes before reprogramming it. Adoptation of the culture is recommended to speed up the process. Because,
    In the book, Gurudeva outlines a very practical way for one who was born into another religion to adopt not only the Hindu religion, but the Indian culture as well.
    as one of our members, TatTvamAsi put it, 'Indian culture is SD in action.'

Pranam.

I feel that the steps Gurudeva outlines in the book to clear the subconscious are really important. Once I have finished all of that, as well as turned learning into practice and then practice into experience, I will change my name and bear it proudly!
    Vannakkam: It is a fairly long process, (Mine took about 5 years, and it was easier, as I didn't have as much previous stuff to clear as some people.) but the end result is far less confusion. At least that's what I think. Although many on here might differ regarding the confused bit.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: It is a fairly long process, (Mine took about 5 years, and it was easier, as I didn't have as much previous stuff to clear as some people.) but the end result is far less confusion. At least that's what I think. Although many on here might differ regarding the confused bit.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste.

I can imagine, many of the cultural norms he outlines in the book are exactly opposite of American norms, but in a way they are also more respectable, if that makes sense. A lot of our society is whoever can make the most noise wins and I've always been more of a laid back, give everyone some respect kind of guy.

There are many Indians at my workplace but the ones I know well are Xianized, I am kind of afraid to ask the others "are you Hindu?" because I'm not sure if that would be considered appropriate. I haven't seen anyone wearing a bindi so that doesn't help either.
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thread Information