Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Namakarana Samskara

Re: Namakarana Samskara

Deleted
    Last edited by ShriBala; 11 December 2012 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasa View Post
    My family is very supportive of my spiritual journey, they've seen a huge shift in my personality for the better since I began.
    Pranam.
    Namaskar. i'm a family guy and i'd think twice before anything which might cause problems with the relationship between my folks and i. So, this is one of the main reasons Hindus never try to convert and uproot people from their original faith and family, a thing which apparently never bothers xtians and mullahs.

Nice to know that you've a very supportive family.

Good luck in your journey ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by ShriBala View Post
    Namaskar. i'm a family guy and i'd think twice before anything which might cause problems with the relationship between my folks and i. So, this is one of the main reasons Hindus never try to convert and uproot people from their original faith and family, a thing which apparently never bothers xtians and mullahs.

Nice to know that you've a very supportive family.

Good luck in your journey ahead.
    Namaste.

Thanks for the kind words.
    My family are all basically agnostic. The last time we went to church regularly (and by this I mean we went 4 Sunday's in one month) was 20 years ago. I grew very disenchanted with the Church and the lack of any real spirituality, just fire and brimstone and telling everyone how we were created by sin and therefore sinners. I never could see God in the Abrahamic sense. It kind of screwed me up in my teenage years, then I drifted toward advaitaish philosophy on my own, before I knew what advaita was. When I started learning about Hinduism it was like coming home, there weren't many beliefs I had to consider, as quite a few of them were already there. The things that were new really made sense, as far as the major beliefs go. I still have an enormous amount to learn, and I'm not quite sure if I'm advaita but worship Siva as a personal god, or of I'm Kashmir Saivite, or Saivite Siddhanta. I'll figure it out eventually I guess.

The Abrahamics think they are doing you a favor by "saving your soul" regardless of whether they uproot or disturb families or not. The architects of those religion understood fear makes people do what you want them to and abandon all rationality. That's why those religions have thrived.

Pranam.
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Reality must always be real. It is not with forms and names. That which underlies these is the reality. It underlies limitations, being itself limitless. It is not bound. It underlies unrealities, itself being real. Reality is that which is. It is as it is. It transcends speech. It is beyond the expressions 'existence, non-existence', etc." ~Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi~

Namaskar. Actually, i really can't begin to imagine being in a religion where i'm threatened daily by pointing out to the wrath of a higher power. It feels too restrictive.

I guess you'll figure out which label/philosophy you fall into, though it might be good if you don't as well . That way, there would be a broad-mindedness in accepting and respecting others views. Else, it's a bitter cat and mouse game of whose philosophy/system is the best.

Depressing to say the least.

I'm more moved by Bhakti than semantics, so for me as far as Lord Shiva's devotees go, the epitome of bhakti would have to be Kannappa nayanar.

Quote Originally Posted by ShriBala View Post
    Namaskar. Actually, i really can't begin to imagine being in a religion where i'm threatened daily by pointing out to the wrath of a higher power. It feels too restrictive.

I guess you'll figure out which label/philosophy you fall into, though it might be good if you don't as well . That way, there would be a broad-mindedness in accepting and respecting others views. Else, it's a bitter cat and mouse game of whose philosophy/system is the best.

Depressing to say the least.

I'm more moved by Bhakti than semantics, so for me as far as Lord Shiva's devotees go, the epitome of bhakti would have to be Kannappa nayanar.
    Namaste.

That's a good point too. I'm not very interested in the intellectual side of religion or promoting my views at the expense of others. What works for me may not work for someone else, and what works for them may not work for me, but I tend to agree to disagree and focus on common bonds rather than petty differences. Scholars and pandits can worry about that stuff, i've got enough of a job pleasing Mahadev to worry about what the next guy is doing.

Pranam.
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Reality must always be real. It is not with forms and names. That which underlies these is the reality. It underlies limitations, being itself limitless. It is not bound. It underlies unrealities, itself being real. Reality is that which is. It is as it is. It transcends speech. It is beyond the expressions 'existence, non-existence', etc." ~Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi~

Vannakkam: One of the POVs that is often forgotten is the mysticism of Hindu ritual. Many people have forgotten that originally all this stuff was seen in a much more mystical sense. Mantra diksha, the Hindu wedding, the learning samskara, and more all have mystical reasons to them, not just some intellectual 'graduation' like receiving a certificate at the end of a course. Over time the scholars, east and west, have more or less done a number on the mystical component, so much that people have forgotten, or even been convinced mysticism is just a bunch of foolish nonsense, the Gods and devas mere symbols of some sort of energy.

That's not the mystic's view. The namakarana is a bond, like a marriage. A deva is or devas are assigned to you. They are your personal guardian for the rest of your life, the gatekeeper, your inner guide into and through Hinduism, life's journey. So it is an introduction mystically, not to be taken lightly. It's like, "Here I am, how can I be of assistance?"

The wedding sacrament is the same. It is a mystic bond between two embodied jivas for this lifetime, and that bond is consumated and strengthened by sexual union, and can be seen as a joint enveloping aura by mystics.

Same with mantra diksha ... its the passing of a powerful energy, and described wonderfully in another thread.

The learning samskara is like being assigned a learning tutor, one of Saraswati's helper devas to assist in that area of life.

Just another POV, perhaps, but one I personally also believe in. So the namakarana is much more than a change of name on a piece of paper, it is your formal and mystic entrance into the inner worlds of Hinduism.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste!

This is an interesting topic! I have spent a lot of time debating with myself on whether to change my name if my life in Hinduism continues (and I can't see why it wouldn't at this point). At first, it seemed necessary. How will anyone take me seriously as a Hindu if don't do something to show my sincerity?

But at it stands at the moment, I have decided not to legally change my name to something Indian. I know a lot of people see it as an important reminder of their choice to become Hindu, and I think it's a beautiful gesture and anyone who feels they want to make the change should! But for me, personally it doesn't feel as important. Does the Divine really care what my name is? Will he/she/it not know me if I have a "Christian" name? I doubt it. I like to joke with people on this matter by saying that if God does not know me by my current name, I haven't caused enough trouble!

God will know me by my actions and my devotion. Perhaps others will not take me seriously, or think I am not truly Hindu, but that is not such a big thing.

My choice may change with time, of course. With learning and understanding I may feel it is an important step. But not yet. I don't feel there is a rush to change.

Peace!

(Note: To prevent confusion, "Jodhaa" is not my real name, nor is it a "nickname" I go by in life. Just a lovely name I like for the purposes of the forums.)

Thread Information