Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you do a two day fast?

Would you do a two day fast?

Namaste.

I fast for each Ekadashi, not a water or waterless fast... I take fruits, some vegs, and dairy. I can easily live on curds, yogurt and fruit. No whey protein because it contains soy (a legume). I've also begun Pradosham fasts. This Sunday and Monday are Ekadashi and Pradosham, respectively.

I'm physically fit enough, except for my back and shoulder, of course, to do a two day fast, and I don't do physical work. The last fast days were two days apart, July 14 and 16, so I knew at some point they would be back to back. I know there are people who fast even longer.

Any tips, techniques, tricks, recommendations?
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Would you do a two day fast?

Namaste,

Just accept that it might be hard. I have a few Muslim friends and it's a deep summer Ramadan right now. I asked one of them about fasting and he told me that once you accept how hard it's going to be to fast, then the difficulty just becomes something there that's along for the ride rather than something to wrestle with.

Seemed like relevant advice.

Take care,

VB

namaskar,
    No, it is not that hard to do two day fast. In the past few years there have been several years where Shivratri was on sunday and the next day monday is my regular fast every week so two days in a row...no problem.
    satay

Namaste VB, and thanks.

I know it won't be easy, but at the risk of seeming selfish, I am doing it for me... I hope to spend more time on these two days in discipline for the two devas I love. I don't look at these fasts (even one at a time) with dread, or "I have to do it", I actually feel good. And there will be a lot of water. In this heat, and having just given birth to a 5 mm kidney stone, I think God will look the other way.

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaskar,
    No, it is not that hard to do two day fast. In the past few years there have been several years where Shivratri was on sunday and the next day monday is my regular fast every week so two days in a row...no problem.
    Ah thanks... good to know.

Not a medical doctor but as you already know, drink a lot of water. My previous post comes with no disclaimer so if you feel sick don't sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jainarayan View Post
    In this heat, and having just given birth to a 5 mm kidney stone, I think God will look the other way.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Not a medical doctor but as you already know, drink a lot of water. My previous post comes with no disclaimer so if you feel sick don't sue me.

Disclaimer duly noted and accepted.

Namaskar.

Satay's advice of drinking up lots of water seems to be an excellent piece of advice. Besides, in the southern parts of India, people use plantain stems. I've heard it is a delicacy in the east and some parts of Maharashtra and Karnataka as well. I haven't verified it, though. They make into a sabzi/ something like a sambar or kootu. The sabzi is dry and w/o gravy. The others are similar to lentil soup. This as a part of regular diet, is believed to prevent formation of stones. Now, i know this would be very difficult to find in NJ.
    It is very time-consuming to remove the outer layer, cut the inner part, dip in water, so that it doesn't oxidize and change colour on exposure to air. It is also fibrous, so to get to the actual veggie may be a hassle, but is pretty tasty and comes with the health benefit.

If you do know some S.Indians, you could barter and get a bowl of this sabzi/kootu etc.

In Tamil, it is called vazhai-thandu. Vazhai as in plantain, thandu - stem.

Yeah, i know, the name is difficult to pronounce as well.

Here's a post from a cooking blog. http://anyonecan-cook.blogspot.com/2...sweet.html?m=1

skip to the *kitchen clinic* header on that page.

In this heat, and having just given birth to a 5 mm kidney stone
    Last edited by ShriBala; 27 July 2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Added info

Namaste ShriBala.

Thanks. I learn something new everyday!

Namaste.

I know there are people who fast even longer.
    Namaskar. Does this matter?

I've heard and seen folks here in India who will fast despite tottering because of hunger, age, medical conditions. Does this make sense then? I'm pretty sure god is not going to hold anyone to the fact that they didn't / or have never fasted and close the doors of wisdom.

You may/ may not believe in Satya sai baba but i think He like Shirdi sai baba adviced that vedanta can never be taught and appreciated on an empty stomach.
    Neither can it be appreciated on a fully loaded stomach as well. Eyes droop and it's slumberland calling

That said, i will never dissuade anyone if they are medically fit and would want to do so. Let them not do it because of the fear of the long arm of the god, is my only suggestion.

Thread Information