Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Incomparable Virtues of Sri Rama

The Incomparable Virtues of Sri Rama

Dear devotees,

The Raamaayana of Vaalmiiki is truly a magnificent work, being not just a story but a perfect exposition of dharma, jnaana, and bhakti/sharanaagati. Just a little bit of reading of it yields immense fruit in understanding the culture of our ancestors and the philosophy of vedas upon which their actions were based.

Currently I am reading Ayodhya-kaanda dealing with Raama's exile to the forest. It is amazing how Raama, playing the role of the ideal kshatriya prince, shows us how to deal with unspeakable adversity. Mahaaraaja Dasharatha was the emperor of the known world, and neither he nor his sons lacked for anything in terms of opulence, strength, or fame. His youngest wife Kaikeyii, being under unholy influence, manipulates him into granting her a boon that Raama should be banished to the forest for 14 years while her son Bharata should be made the heir-apparent. These demands are so cruel and unprecedented that the whole population of Ayodhya is thrown into grief. Yet in the person of Raama we see no such hesitation to carry out Kaikeyii's wishes in order to redeem his father's pledge. Let us delve into the Raamaayana and see how Raama deals with these troubling matters. The setting is Dasharatha's palace. Mahaaraaja Dasharatha has just been awake all night with Kaikeyii on the eve of Raama's installation, being manipulated into cancelling His coronation and banishing him. The emperor, who previously fought alongside devas and was known to be unconquerable in battle, was lying tormented and unconscious at the thought of Raama's upcoming banishment and his separation from Him. Sumantra is sent to Raama's palace to bring him before Dasharatha, and the Aadi-Kavi uses this opportunity to describe in great detail the opulence surrounding Raama:

mahaakavaaTapihitaM vitardishatashobhitam || 2-15-32
    kaaJNchanapratimaikaagraM maNividrumatoraNam |
    shaaradaabhraghanaprakhyaM diiptaM meruguhopamam || 2-15-33
    maNibhirvaramaalyaanaaM sumahadbhiralaMkR^itam |
    muktaamaNibhiraakiirNaM chandhanaagurubhuushhitam || 2-15-34
    gandhaanmanojJNaan visR^ijaddhaarduraM shikharaM yathaa |
    saarasaishcha mayuuraishcha vinadadbhirviraajitam || 2-15-35
    sukR^itehaamR^igaakiirNaM sukiirNaM bhaktibhistathaa |
    manshchakshushcha bhuutaanaamaadadattigmatejasaa || 2-15-36
    chandrabhaaskarasaMkaasham kuberabhavanopamam |
    mahendradhaamapratimaM naanaapakshisamaakulam || 2-15-37
    merushR^iN^gasamam suuto raamaveshma dadarsha ha |
    upasthitaiH samaakiirNam janairaJNjalikaaribhiH || 2-15-38
    upaadaaya samaakraantaistathaa jaanapadairjanaiH |
    raamaabhishhekasumukhairunmukhaiH samalamkR^itam || 2-15-39
    mahaameghasamaprakhyamudagraM suvibhuushhitam |
    naanaaratnasamaakiirNaM kubjakairaatakaavR^itam || 2-15-40

Rama's palace was beautiful with large doors and adorned with hundreds of raised quadrangular seats. There were festooned decorations over doorways with gems and corals. It was adorned with various precious stones and the best of garlands. Pearls were scattered all over abundantly. It was decorated with sandal and aloe woods, spreading out beautiful smells like the peak of a Darddura Mountain. Cranes and peacocks were singing sweetly. Figures of wolves and other art forms were sculptured here and there. It was attracting the eyes and minds of living beings by its brilliance. It was shining like a constellation of moon and the sun. It was full of various kinds of birds. It was as high as Meru mountain. Sumantra saw such a palace of Rama. People who came from different rural parts to see Rama's coronation were waiting with different gifts in their hands. That house decorated with various diamonds, was looking high like a great cloud. Hunch backed servants and servants of kirata tribe were moving all over the house.
    How does our royal prince, who lives in such opulence on a daily basis, react to the news that He must renounce it? On arriving in the palace of His father, His first thought is one of alarm at seeing Dasharatha in such an unconsoleable state. He then wonders if he committed some offense to His father. He states that a father is one's worshipful deity and one must always desire to fulfill the father's command:

atoSayan mahaa raajam akurvan vaa pitur vacaH |
    muhuurtam api na iccheyam jiivitum kupite nRpe || 2-18-15

"If our father becomes angry, I do not desire to live even for a moment without satisfying him or without fulfilling his command."

yataH muulam naraH pashyet praadurbhaavam iha aatmanaH |
    katham tasmin na varteta pratyakSe sati daivate || 2-18-16

"Man sees father as the visible god who is the root cause of one's own coming into existence and how else can he behave towards him other than like that?"
    Kaikeyii then explains the boon Dasharatha gave her, and states that Raama must give up the throne and all of its attendant luxuries and be banished to the forest for 14 years. How does Raama take it?

tat apriyam amitraghnaH vacanam maraNa upamam |
    shrutvaa na vivyathe raamaH kaikeyiim ca idam abraviit || 2-19-1

Rama the annihilator of enemies heard those harsh and deadly words but was unruffled. He spoke these words to Kaikeyi.

evam astu gamiSyaami vanam vastum aham tu ataH |
    jaTaa ciira dharaH raaj~naH pratij~naam anupaalayan || 2-19-2

"Let it be, as you said it. I shall fulfil the king's promise, go to the forest from here to reside there, wearing braided hair and covered with a hide."

idam tu j~naatum icchaami kim artham maam mahii patiH |
    na abhinandati durdharSo yathaa puram arim damaH || 2-19-3

"But I want to know why the king, the inviolable and the subduer of enemies, is not greeting me today as before."
    In other words, without so much as a blink, His response is, "Oh, all I have to do to please father is go to the forest for 14 years and live like a hermit? So be it! But, why is father himself not saying this to me... is he displeased with me in some way?"

manyur na ca tvayaa kaaryo devi bruuhi tava agrataH |
    yaasyaami bhava supriitaa vanam ciira jaTaa dharaH || 2-19-4

"Oh, queen! you need not be indignant. I am telling before you that I shall go to the forest, wearing rags and braided hair. Become delighted well."

hitena guruNaa pitraa kRtaj~nena nRpeNa ca |
    niyujyamaano vishrabdham kim na kuryaat aham priyam || 2-19-5

"How can I not do faithfully an action dear to my father, as commanded by him as well-wisher, venerable man, as person with right conduct and as king."
    Indeed, obedience to His father being foremost on His mind, Raama, who was by all rights the heir to the throne, expresses sorrow that He did not get invited to see his younger brother being coronated!

aliikam maanasam tu ekam hRdayam dahati iva me |
    svayam yan na aaha maam raajaa bharatasya abhiSecanam || 2-19-6

"My heart is burning indeed with one sorrowful feeling that king himself has not informed me about Bharata's coronation."
    But none of this deters Him from His readiness to renounce everything merely to satisfy the wishes of His father, which had only been expressed to him merely seconds ago:

aham hi siitaam raajyam ca praaNaan iSTaan dhanaani ca |
    hRSTaH bhraatre svayam dadyaam bharataaya apracoditaH || 2-19-7

"Without being asked, I myself would have gladly offered even Sita with kingdom, even my life, loved ones and wealth."

kim punar manuja indreNa svayam pitraa pracoditaH |
    tava ca priya kaama artham pratij~naam anupaalayan || 2-19-8

"Being directed by king, who is my father himself, how much more should I tell that I can give everything to Bharata, duly obeying father's promise to fulfil your beloved desire."

tat aashvaasaya hi imam tvam kim nv idam yan mahii patiH |
    vasudhaa aasakta nayano mandam ashruuNi muncati || 2-19-9

"That is why, you console him. Why indeed the king is thus slowly shedding tears, with eyes gazed upon the floor?"

gacchantu ca eva aanayitum duutaaH shiighra javaiH hayaiH |
    bharatam maatula kulaat adya eva nRpa shaasanaat || 2-19-10

"Let messengers go now itself on fleet horses to bring Bharata from maternal uncle's house as per orders of the king."

daNDaka araNyam eSo aham itaH gacchaami satvaraH |
    avicaarya pitur vaakyam samaavastum catur dasha || 2-19-11

"Immediately, I shall go to live in forest of Dandaka for fourteen years, without reflecting on whether my father's words are right or wrong."
    Note the unconditional nature of Raama's devotion to His duty as a son. It does not require that Dasharatha's command be moral or just. Dasharatha is His father and the emperor, and He will gladly lay down even His life.

All glories to Lord Raamachandra, the son of Mahaaraaja Dasharatha, the Lord of Siitaa, the sovereign ruler of Ayodhya, and the One who shows the true path of dharma!

All translations are from the online www.valmikiramayan.net.
    Please click here to listen to pure nectar - Thyaagaraaja's composition "challare" in rAgam ahiri (lyrics and translation available at the link).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Re: The Incomparable Virtues of Sri Rama

This deed of renouncing everything for 14 years without even a whisper of complaint, not even psychologically, makes Rama such a great personality. NO wonder he is 'parabrahmam'. It is said Rama does not wait for a new person to talk, he talks himself, he talks sweet words whenever he speaks, and he speaks only 'that which is truth'. He has also kept up all these attributes in his actions throughout his life.

Thanks for the wonderful message.

I love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPkV2...eature=related.

Arrow Re: The Incomparable Virtues of Sri Rama

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    This deed of renouncing everything for 14 years without even a whisper of complaint, not even psychologically, makes Rama such a great personality.
    Why 14 years ? Why not 10 or 15 ? There is not one word within the rāmāyaṇa this does not serve a purpose.

What is the significance of 14 ?

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvanji,

I have read the abridged version of Ramayana by C.Rajagopalachariar, and no it is not given in there the reason behind precisely 14 yrs. I would love to learn the same.

Many thanks,

Aspirant

Kaikeyii was the one who came up with the 14-year figure. She evidently felt that this was the time Bharata would need to consolidate his power such that he would not be threatened by Raama after the latter's return.

It's such a low-class way of thinking that it is inconceivable to the bhaktas. Bharata is himself a paradigm of virtue, and would never dream of taking the throne much less using the time to consolidate power. More on this later.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste

I know I am taking a break right now, but when checking a thread in respect of a Member who sent a message I received, I saw this item and I just cannot resist to add an idea. So forgive me for again not living up to the standards of Lord Rama and King Dasarath in keeping a oath. I am not a Brahmana so I tend to be here and there if you will.

Yajvan noted Why 14 years? Why not 10 or 15? There is not one word within the Ramayana that does not serve a purpose.

Well, I think Yajvan already knows, and I do not. But I just cannot resist taking a guess.

Rama would have dharshan with Kala Purusha. It is said, Kala Purusha at the notification of Brahma took the form of a Rishi and asked Lord Rama to come to a private place to have a discussion in a tent or room, and that no one should disturb this discussion which was to request Rama to end His Avatar. This is part of His duty as I am told that Kala Purusha keeps track of the clock or time measurement. This discussion took place after the 14 year exile. The Rishi can be the Personification of Time from the human view. All things are eaten by Kala. Of course Time is Shiva the Great God, so what is inferred here is that Kala Purusha Deva is not in CHARGE of Time which is by Shiva, but He tracks the universal clock if you will which pertains to Karma. And the clock said, the time is due, the time has been measured.

This is a point that seems to connect with me, because when Rama was having this dharshan, the Muni Durvasa forced His way into the room even though Rama commanded to Lakshman that during this Dharshan no one is to enter at the consequence of banishment or death, of which the door was being guarded by Brother Lakshman. Muni Durvasa is considered an Aspect of Shankara. So in one way, we can see that Time Itself can force its way in no matter what the clock says.

Also it is important to remember that Rama is the Great Devotee (Bhakta) of Shiva some may argue with me regarding this and I have not fully realized all Aspects of the Trinity, but this is firmly explained to me and I submit to it. This is my religious understanding in so regarding.

This clock affects in particular the humans, but also all beings including those with merit and animals with merit such as the cow.

Ram took to the 14 years to save his Fathers honor. This is the larger reason, it was in the name of honor, and Honor is not limited by time. And Ram is the Perfect Man. Lord Rama indeed did (and does) feel and understand man, and pain. He is always 100% Deva, but He is simultaneously 1 part Deva and 1 part Man in that Dasaratha gave half the divine nectar or honey (pAyasam) to Kausalya who gave us Lord Ramachandra. So this is not a contradiction to be half man and half Deva and also 100% Deva. This is my religion, in so regarding, you may disagree but my mind will not be changed.

Rama can be part of the human experience. For example, after Sita went into the Earth due to the nit-picking and back-stabbing of some who lived in The Kingdom, foolish humans such as we see to this very day in society but which even existing in a Kingdom which was a Paradise, these gossipers could not stop claiming She was not pure because She was with Ravana and thus was in violation of rules. Later Rama jumped into the River Sharayu where He showed us one way to take Samadhi but not take life. In this same manner, Trailinga Swami left by taking Samadhi in the Ganga at Kashi by sinking into the Ganga jal. This can be a perfectly accepted method for Yogis, Mystics, and Avatars, and even in some cases Bhaktas.

I do not know for a fact the answer to the question, why 14? - but I think I can volunteer a guess though I fully admit this is dubious perhaps.
    Though the premise being that fourteen is enough years to allow Bharat to become fixed in the minds of the people as their only King, fourteen is an interesting number - it is my understanding that there are 14 worlds or dimensions in the universe. 7 are where humans are allowed to practice yoga and the Path and Bhakti and even Arhantship or Moksha, and 7 are where unrighteous can go if they are full of negative energy that causes obstacles to such humans and other living-soul-based beings who want to practice the Path which includes Bhakti Yoga. While this is not hell, it is not a nice place to be, and I would not want to go there. The lower one goes into the 7 lower dimensions, the higher is the ego. The higher one goes into the 7 higher dimensions, the less ego. Heaven in Swarga Loka is not the final dimension, there are four more above it.

So some may say perhaps the 14 years can represent the 14 dimensions which we may all find ourselves in one day or another day passing while on the Journey. I will also mention without authority, there are 2 letters in the Name of Rama, there are 2 letters in the Name of Sita, 3 letters in the Name Lakshman, 3 letters in the Name Bharat and 4 letters in the Name Shatrughna. All are the Honor of His Father including Lord Ramachandras beloved Wife. They add up to 14. Queen Kaikeyi requested the banishment of 14 years. Perhaps without realizing it, it was symbolically a strike on the Honor of the King, which all fours Sons and Sita composite the Universe of the King. So even her plans were a dishonor to Bharat as well because all of them together represent this Universe of the King.

Some say the shoe or sandal is dirty and there are so many rules they can quote in this regard. But Bharat established the wooden shoes of Ram on the throne. What is dirty to one is Sacred to another, for it is the question of Who stood in those sandals and not the dirt on them. Mother Ganga is never dirty no matter how much it is polluted. Rama can go to all 14 dimensions if He so chooses and He is not dirty. Rama can lift up any child in the universe, and He is never dirty and the child is blessed. It is only disrespect to Honor that can put oil in the milk.

Rama is the Perfect Man, for all, no matter who your ancestors are. If you Honor Lord Ram, you will then have a way to Honor all of your ancestors who also get benefit. All of Humanity is in Ram, because He understands the human experience, that is my religion.

I believe the events in the Ramayana are Historical events. From them there are also majestic or even mystic understandings as well, which does not diminish the History itself. For example, to me, Lord Hanuman is the First Messenger. He came to Mother Sita while She was held captive in the garden, to tell Her that Lord Rama is Coming. So in that way, Hanuman can also be the First Messenger for many things and for us as well.

Om Namah Sivaya

My favourite part is the one where Sri Rama tries to convince Sita not to go with him.It is simply beautiful beyond words, and it shows us just how perfect someone can really be.

btw, to anyone studying the valmiki ramayana, i would recommend the Arshia Sattar translation.It's the best on the market
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

I really liked ShivaFan's idea that the 14 worlds are somehow connected to the 14 years of exile. Are they somehow connected to the chakras of the body? (But to think Kaikeyi would have some kind of a yogic reasoning behind the 14 years seems unlikely too...). Would love to hear the actual reason.

Deleted
    Last edited by ShriBala; 11 December 2012 at 07:11 AM.

Namaste,

I would like to humbly request that, when discussing and itihAsa or purANic stroies, that all netters kindly avoid making unsubstantiated statements.

For example, in the Valmiiki-Raamaayana, Raama is most certainly not a Shiva-bhakta. Vaalmiiki wrote that He performed worship of Naaraayana just prior to His coronation:

gate purohite raamaH snaato niyatamaanasaH |
    saha patnyaa vishaalaakshyaa naaraayaNamupaagamat || 2-6-1

After Vasistha left, Rama took bath and meditated on Lord Narayana with undistracted mind along with his wide-eyed wife, Seetha.

pragR^ihya shirasaa paatraM havishho vidhivattadaa |
    mahate daivataayaajyaM juhaava jvalitaanale || 2-6-2

Taking the vessel with clarified butter on his head as per scriptures, he offered to Lord Vishnu the clarified butter, by dropping it into the blazing fire.

sheshhaM cha havishhastasya praashyaashaasyaatmanaH priyam |
    dhyaayannaaraayaNaM devaM svaastiirNe kushasaMstare || 2-6-3
    vaagyataH saha vaidehyaa bhuutvaa niyatamaanasaH |
    shriimatyaayatane vishhNoH shishye naravaraatmajaH || 2-6-4

Rama ate the remainder of clarified butter after finishing the sacrifice, which he performed for his own good, silently meditated on Lord Narayana with controlled mind and slept along with Seetha on a properly laid bed of Kusa grass in a splendid temple of Lord Vishnu. *
    Also, Raama "ordering" Siitaa into doing "agni-pariksha" is not mentioned in Vaalmiiki-Raamaayana. According to the original text, Siitaa is brought before Him and He begins to behave strangely, saying that she can go wherever she likes now that she is free. She replies that her husband's side is where she belongs, and if she cannot be there, she will simply enter fire. There was never an "order" to do this.
    Philosoraptor

Thread Information