Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Yogis Battle Over the Fate of a Tradition (And a Very Large Pile of Money)

Two Yogis Battle Over the Fate of a Tradition (And a Very Large Pile of Money)

namaste

I was reading this article and was astonished at some things.
    I knew that teaching Hatha Yoga was very profitable in the
    United States but I did not realize the exact extent of it.
    I've posted some excerpts from the article linked below.

Hari Aum

Practitioners describe hot yoga as if it were as powerful — and addictive — as any drug. First-timers enter a studio with empty stomachs (if they are smart), but nothing prepares them for the wave of 105-degree heat that refuses to subside.

Anxiety begins to gather in their chests well before the first water break at the 20-minute mark. By the sixth of 26 poses — as they try to balance on one leg while pulling the other leg into a standing split — black spots start to pop before their eyes. At the end of the class, students are left flat on their backs catching their breath, hair matted, and clothes soaked.

Outsiders might consider it a torture only a fool would choose to endure. But for true believers, something euphoric is delivered: They feel amazing. ... To the uninitiated, a Bikram class can seem like a cult. It's not uncommon to see girls brush the guru's hair or massage his body as he lectures, as if he were a deity.

One day, while struggling through class, Gumucio says he decided to take matters into his own hands. He signaled to one of the girls that he wanted to take over. "I decided to massage the evil villain in my life," he recalls, laughing. According to Gumucio, Bikram was impressed.

"From that day forward, he was nice to me," says Gumucio. "But I had to pay a different kind of, you know, penalty. Because then he made me massage him, like, every single day for, like, four hours a day. I would be dripping with sweat all over, just from working on this crazy man." ... Yet their friendship began to strain in 2000. That's when Gumucio met John McAfee, a software billionaire turned yoga teacher, and visited his Colorado estate. The pair immediately clicked. Soon McAfee was inviting him to teach at a retreat, spending several days in nature practicing yoga in complete silence. By the time it was over, Gumucio decided he wanted to teach multiple forms of yoga, incorporating McAfee's kriya method, which focuses on the spine.

"That's when things started to go south," Gumucio says. Bikram felt a sting of betrayal at seeing his protege take on a new mentor. "He said, 'You cannot be a ****ing prostitute. You cannot have your feet in two holes.'" ... Yet while philosophy remains the outer crust of the dispute between Bikram and Gumucio, at heart it's a battle over money. Lot and lots of money. The industry is growing so fast that it's expected to reach $8.3 billion in sales by 2016.

With that much at stake, it was only a matter of time until the lawyers showed up.

To most of the country, the yoga war may be nothing more than another mercantile fight between two titans wrestling over the spoils of their industry. Yet back at the banquet hall in Boston, Bikram frames Gumucio as a villain on par with the all-time greats.

"If you have a sick body, a screw-loose brain, you will only be surviving — that will be a man like Greg, Hitler, or Osama Bin Laden," he says, between bites of plump scallops.

Bikram now claims "zero feeling" for his old disciple and believes that the American courts eventually will decide that rectitude is at his side, where it rightfully belongs. ... Suddenly, there is the chime of a butter knife clinking against a wine glass for quiet. It comes from one of Bikram's close friends, who is standing with his arm around the guru's wife, Rajashree.

"Today is Bikram and Rajashree's 23rd wedding anniversary," the man announces proudly as the room erupts in applause.

"Oh, I forgot! ****!" Bikram exclaims as a large mango cake is wheeled to the center of the room. "I forgot completely! ****! Why you didn't remind me? ****! You keep me too busy!"

The yogis sing "happy anniversary" to the tune of "Happy Birthday." Then Bikram announces that, far from forgetting the occasion, he has bought his wife one of the world's most expensive cars, an $800,000 Rolls-Royce convertible. ... When he returns to the table, Bikram turns to me. "Greg Gumucio, he's finished," he says. "He's ass in the grass."
    http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2012-...pile-of-money/
    Last edited by R Gitananda; 30 July 2012 at 12:11 PM.
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Re: Two Yogis Battle Over the Fate of a Tradition (And a Very Large Pile of Money)

Namaste.

That is an interesting story, sad too in a way. Only in Kali Yuga can what was originally a sincere spiritual practice turn into a cash cow.

Somehow I doubt Patanjali would approve.

Pranam.
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Reality must always be real. It is not with forms and names. That which underlies these is the reality. It underlies limitations, being itself limitless. It is not bound. It underlies unrealities, itself being real. Reality is that which is. It is as it is. It transcends speech. It is beyond the expressions 'existence, non-existence', etc." ~Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi~

Re: Two Yogis Battle Over the Fate of a Tradition (And a Very Large Pile of Money)

The so called 'hot yoga' is a fraud.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Namaste

Sadly 'Hatha Yoga' was once a derivative of laya yoga as founded by Gorakhnath. Though placing emphasis on asana and pranayama, it was not defined by these two things.

We might call the yoga taught in the West a very watered down version of asana yoga more accurately than hatha yoga.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuddhasattva View Post
    the yoga taught in the West a very watered down version of asana yoga more accurately than hatha yoga.
    So what is the problem with this? Just ridiculing "west's" experimentation with Asanas as watered down and using buzz words like laya doesn't make the "Indian" current understanding of yoga water tight, or does it?

And as far as commercialization is concerned, how is India any different? Most western teachers get [or used to get] their certificates from India. Mysore is a hot spot in global 'wellness' and 'yoga' map, Indians and India earns a good deal from this wellness/yoga tourism. Again, what exactly is wrong with all this is where I am confused with.

Vannakkam: What's wrong is that our very own scriptures (not to mention the common sense arrived at by meditation) speak so highly of non-greed and humility. So if someone starts profiting for the sake of profit, then hoarding that wealth, its just adharmic all around. If a person wants to contribute, that's all fine, (but you're still supporting this flow, indirectly) but if you're the one doing the taking, you might want to reconsider the karmic consequences of applying blatant capitalism ideas to the spreading of spiritual knowledge. There's some irony there.

Aum Mamasivaya

So what is the problem with this?
    If you don't see it, I'm not sure I can explain it to you.

Just ridiculing "west's" experimentation with Asanas as watered down and using buzz words like laya doesn't make the "Indian" current understanding of yoga water tight, or does it?
    I'm sorry that you choose to interpret a note about the actual meaning and origins of hatha yoga to be throwing around buzz words. If anything, hatha yoga is the buzz word thrown around by those who would sell union at a cheap price.

And as far as commercialization is concerned, how is India any different?
    It's not - it's even more sad.

Indians and India earns a good deal from this wellness/yoga tourism. Again, what exactly is wrong with all this is where I am confused with.
    Commodifying truth and the means to truth, yet in commodifying them the actual efficacy is gutted. This leads people in a direction which is both contrary to, and obscurative of, actual yoga.

Some people come to real yoga through the falsity. Many others are misled.

In India, I would say - generously - that 98% of the sadhus are fake, especially the self-promoting ones who elevate themselves as god-men and "yogis" and drive that "earning a good deal." It's certainly not a good deal for India.

1. It cheapens Indian culture, to say nothing of the true religion, as a spiritual novelty, a lifestyle accessory for unfulfilled people.
    2. Tourism is the worst 'industry' to build any kind of firm economic foundation on. It is totally fickle and rooted in the smoke and mirrors of perception management, to say nothing of crippling to actual economic endeavors when taking advantage of the walking ATMs is so much more attractive. It is a debilitation.
    3. It obscures, and drives sincere seekers away, from the actual yoga. It is a symptom of an underlying disease which has caused the rot of the dharma in Indian society, reducing it to ... this.

The most dangerous thing is that it promotes the idea that one can live a materially engrossed life as an accomplice in the destruction of civilization and the ecosytem and simultaneously be spiritually fulfilled (in a wishy-washy new age way) or at least physically and mentally fit by means of an ancient tradition whose culmination is serving your wellness.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuddhasattva View Post
    ...the actual meaning and origins of hatha yoga .....
    Some people come to real yoga.....
    .... from the actual yoga...
    ... fit by means of an ancient tradition....
    Could you please help me out and tell me where they are and who do you think in India is still practising (or was practicing in the last 100 years) or even knows knows about the:

"actual meaning and origins of hatha yoga"

"real yoga"

"ancient tradition" (of yoga) ?

It does not even matter to me if they would greedily rake in shameless amounts of money, without blushing, as most of the Gurus and Maths and Ashrams, neo Hindu and traditional, do anyways, it would just be sufficent for me if they practice Hatha Yoga according to the "actual meaning and traditions".

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: What's wrong is that our very own scriptures (not to mention the common sense arrived at by meditation) speak so highly of non-greed and humility. So if someone starts profiting for the sake of profit, then hoarding that wealth, its just adharmic all around. If a person wants to contribute, that's all fine, (but you're still supporting this flow, indirectly) but if you're the one doing the taking, you might want to reconsider the karmic consequences of applying blatant capitalism ideas to the spreading of spiritual knowledge. There's some irony there.

Aum Mamasivaya
    But especially in India religion and spirituality, temples, ashrams maths are all about raking in donations, obtaining money and power and we also find a lot of gurus and religious organisations involved in criminal activities. Western spirituality and also western type of Hatha Yoga is much less burdened by greed, fake gurus, criminal activities sex scandals, prostitution, and exploitation, threats and protection rackets etc. then the eastern.
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 30 July 2012 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MahaHrada View Post
    Could you please help me out and tell me where they are and who do you think in India is still practising (or was practicing in the last 100 years) or even knows knows about the:

"actual meaning and origins of hatha yoga"

"real yoga"

"ancient tradition" (of yoga) ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuddhasattva
    In India, I would say - generously - that 98% of the sadhus are fake, especially the self-promoting ones who elevate themselves as god-men and "yogis" and drive that "earning a good deal." It's certainly not a good deal for India.
    I don't know if it is 98%, 99% or something else, but Shuddha has already posted the disclaimer that almost nobody by statistical significance know real yoga in India.

Thread Information