Thread: Bhakti high places

Bhakti high places

Vannakkam: I've noticed that devotees at temples have their favorite spots. Its often beside a pillar, in front of a certain shrine, etc. It must be personal; otherwise everyone would each try to get to the same place. My friend at Chidambaram pointed to his pillar, and told me, "If you ever come, and don't let me know first, look for me there," as he pointed.

At the temple I attend regularly, my place is behind the moolasthanam at the northwest corner (Ganesha faces east) in front of the Lingam shrine, but out of the sight line of other devotees. If you ever come wandering by, and see someone sitting there, that would be me. I don't have a 'reserved parking' sign there ... yet. Others sit facing certain walls, facing certain niches etc.

We all have our own outdoor shakti high places too, mine mostly being to do with water, flowing water. There is a small rapid on a small river from my youth where I sat at age 14 and had some wondrous insights. I still make a pilgrimage there occasionally, but I would be the only one on this planet doing that. Anyone else have special places, besides your shrine room, which is too obvious?

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Bhakti high places

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: ....

We all have our own outdoor shakti high places too, mine mostly being to do with water, flowing water. There is a small rapid on a small river from my youth where I sat at age 14 and had some wondrous insights.

Aum Namasivaya
    Sit beside a mountain stream, see her waters rise
    listen to the pretty sound of music as she flies...
    -- mother nature's son, the beatles

Vanakkam!

Namaste.

Yes, I have my spot too. It's on either side of the main entrance, in front of a wall, to the left or right of the sanctum of Sri Guruvayurappan (the presiding deity). I am a back-of-the-room person anyway, but I need the support of a wall for my back.

In the old temple building, one of the first times I went, I sat against a wall at the back. The priests motioned to me, inviting "come closer! sit up here!" I pointed to my back, and they gave a look of "we understand". I thought that was very considerate of them.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namast,

I had my spot too, in the Pondicherry temple, against a wall, with the side of the sanctum and a view of the sky in front of me, and Devī to my right. I miss it every day.

Here in Winnipeg, unfortunately, no special spots. I do walk in La Vrendrye Park, or down by the river, sometimes during my breaks at work, and there is a tree in the park of which I am particularly fond. Even my home shrine isn't exactly divinely blissful, as the same room also serves duty as bedroom and office! Ah well.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

I don't know if this is an appropriate reply, but whenever I see a great waterfalls, -- the Niagara falls, I secretly bow down and pray for a minute, it is all too very spiritual to see such a great creation of the Lord. Reminds me of Ganges flowing rapidly from Mahadeva's matted locks.

Namaste

Eastern Mind brought up an interesting subject. He was mentioning favorite places in relation to a temple. And shakti coming alive, typically a favorite outdoor place where a connection is made.

Of course, and for me there are many such favorite places, sometimes it is not a place of beauty, and not of nostalgia, but for other reasons and also shakti was definitely there.

A shoe shine boy resting at the corner of Kyd Street and Chowringhee Lane. Which becomes one of those places, obscure but real.

But the temple is definitely a place, where it has a favorite place, a special place.

Favorite places, and shakti, can be in many different countries for me.

But in regards to temples, this may sound strange, but I have some favorite places related temple, where there is no temple there at all.

Not that they disappeared into the dustbin of history. Perhaps a new temple arose at a finer location. But once, there was a temple there. And even after a very long time, a shakti is still there.

For example, let's say I happen to go to San Francisco.

I might go to an address, perhaps 3575 Sacramento Street. Once there was a Saiva temple there. And I may just stand there and look. Once there were souls going there. Many were very, very special indeed. Some are gone now. But then they may have been young in body, excited in spirit and journey. And, it s almost like, if I just look carefully, almost like a needle of some universal record player touches the grooves in some odd sort of universal record, does it start to play? You can almost feel some shakti. And though no one is moving, it is almost like some souls are kind of still moving there. Certainly, some were very special.

Or I might go stand in front of a little store front at 518 Fredrick Street. Once it was a Vaishnava temple. Through the window, there were once souls gathered. Many young in body, but vast in excited journey. Over there, sat a Special One, and there were others there too who would become special. You can almost feel the shakti, and though no one s moving, it seems that some are still lingering. Certainly, some were very special.

These can also be favorite places. Because they were perhaps the beginning of something special. A Devi Temple in that labor town next to smokestacks, it's not there anymore. It moved to a better, bigger place. But something started there. The old Rama temple - not there now, but it was.

Om Namah Sivaya

Vannakkam Eastern Mind, everyone.

This is a wonderful topic. I have my favourite spot too at the temple which I go to everyday. It's at the pillar right in front of the flagstaff or 'kodimaram', an extremely intricate part of the temple. I sit facing the flagstaff.

This is where I'd sit while waiting for the puja or abhishekam to start, and also after performing my prayers before leaving.

I've become so connected to it that I become annoyed when there's someone else already sitting there. I feel like telling them, " Excuse me, that's my place." Haha... but of course I don't.

If my place is already taken, I become temporarily lost and end up sitting in front of Ganesha's shrine, facing Him.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

Nice topic. Thank you, everyone for sharing.

My place at the temple is always changing. There are a few reasons for this. Most important is that the temple is under construction, so the shrines must be moved every few months to protect them. Another reason it changes all the time, is that I have not quite settled into the temple. I still feel like a visitor or casual observer at times. I am still a little self conscious that other devotees are staring at me because I am new (and a westerner). But I know that is all ego and insecurity. It will pass with time. I sit farther back usually, and allow other devotees the room to sit closer. I feel I should give first seating choice to those who have lived longer as Hindus. (Respect your elders?) I know it isn't necissary or expected. I look forward to the day when I shall have my Bhakti place at the temple. but I also hope to get to a point where anywhere can be a place for Bhakti!

Peace!

namaste

Eastern Mind, you've reminded me of something that I want to try again.
    There is an ancient Vishnu Temple in Madurai, Tamil Nadu that I had the
    pleasure of visiting back in 2006. They allowed devotees to walk up the
    stairs to the roof where they had a couple of extra shrines. As Emerson
    wrote "I owed a magnificent day to the Bhagavad Gita." Sitting on
    the roof of that temple reading the Bhagavad Gita was a very special
    experience that I will always treasure. I think I want to do that again.

Hari Aum
    Last edited by R Gitananda; 25 August 2012 at 02:50 AM.
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Thread Information