Thread: Loss of Dharma

Loss of Dharma

Namaste all,

1) What happens if one looses his dharma(any kind or all kind)?
    2) Should it be considered gain or loss?

3) Is there a mention of one loosing his jnana/ common sense and becoming mad (as a result of spiritual practices), in any shastras or yogic practices of any kind?

4) When vedas say 'Neti;, Neti- Not this, not this while explaining Brahman, why great people of all ages tried to bind it in words or conceptualize it?

Learned HDF members are requested to comment.

Pranam

Ekoham
    Last edited by Ekoham; 01 August 2012 at 11:54 AM.
    Jo sahaj hai, saral hai, wohi satya hai!

Re: Loss of Dharma

Dear Ekoham,
    Namasthe!

1) What happens if one looses his dharma(any kind or all kind)?
    What do you mean by "Loosing dharma" ? Dharma is not a "Possession". Dharma is a certain thing thats "Right" in a given time and place [desha-kala]. If one does whats right one has done what is dharmic. Dharma is bascially whats appropriate in a given situation.

2) Should it be considered gain or loss?

If one does not live a Dharmic life one is injuring oneself. Its like, if I put my finger in fire, ill burn it. So its just that i injure myself and possibly others.

3) Is there a mention of one loosing his jnana/ common sense and becoming mad (as a result of spiritual practices), in any shastras or yogic practices of any kind?
    I am not sure about this. But I have seen lot of people developing wrong psychology ... and Its definitely due to wrong understanding of vedanta-- they complicate their own lives and the lives of their loved ones as well. Such people are really trouble creators. A simple example. IF someone gets angry ... his only problem will be the anger. if a spiritual student gets angry he has two problems ... first is the anger itself and second "how can i get angry since i am a spiritual student". People spoil their lives by creating such complexes.

I do not practise yogic methods so am not sure. Vivekananda seems to have said that one may go mad. not sure abt this.

4) When vedas say 'Neti;, Neti- Not this, not this while explaining Brahman, why great people of all ages tried to bind it in words or conceptualize it?
    Neti - Neti is not a practise . Any kind of knowledge is "Intellectual". Buddhi only gets jnana. All Scriptures are there to form "Buddhi". buddhi nirmanam.

Our situation is exactly like a king who took himself to be a beggar. Now no matter what practise he does, it is not going to help him "Realize" he is the king. He needs to "Understand" he is the King. And this has to happen at the level of intellect alone. Coz the Self does not need jnana... Body does not know ... so only mind is left out . So it has to be at the level of the mind alone. And as he understands ... he disassociates himself from the beggar role. The understanding "Rejects" . One cannot simply sit down and practise neti-neti to get to the Truth... even as the king who took himself to be a beggar cannot disassociate himself from the beggar notions to realize he is the Truth! so the Recognition that he is hte King, eliminates or actually removes the ignorance that he is the beggar. Thats how neti-neti happens.So understanding is a must.

Pranam

Re: Loss of Dharma

This may not directly address the OP, but I'm just wondering: how do you know your dharma in the first place before you can really "loose it." I mean, I have seen Philosoraptor arguing for varna by birth, and that therefore birth in some sense defines dharma... unless I am wrong? Does dharma, instead, merely have to do with the potential of us human beings, where our talents lie and so forth, that we might put them to good use?
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

Thread Information