Thread: No names, but...

No names, but...

Hari Om!

This will sound a little odd and perhaps it is in some respects, but hear me out. Although I don't believe in the use of credit cards, they have become a part of daily life for many - a necessity. What I found interesting however is that one of the companies that issue cards that I use will print a card with a Hindu Temple as the image on it. Wow! How progressive.

Any comments?

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Re: No names, but...

Namaste,

Normally a CC company spends $200 to $1000 in the promotional rewards for people to sign up for their card. If they can have people sign up for a CC which has the picture of a temple on it, and they don't have to pay any promotional rewards to the new customers, then it is a big profit for them. Did not mean to rain on your parade, it definitely is a plus for us, but the banks do things only if it makes them money.

Pranam.

Heh, it'd be nicer if a percentage of the money you spend went to said temple. Still pretty cool though. I suppose it's much like having a picture of family members on your card.

Random sidenote regarding your belief in not using credit cards. I use one, and the company has never made a dime off of me, because I pay my bill in full each month. Most people use them as a means of borrowing money. But I only have a credit card to buy things online, pay large bills for work-related travel (since I get reimbursed), and so forth. It's a crazy concept in America to live within your means.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    I use one, and the company has never made a dime off of me, because I pay my bill in full each month. Most people use them as a means of borrowing money. But I only have a credit card to buy things online, pay large bills for work-related travel (since I get reimbursed), and so forth. It's a crazy concept in America to live within your means.
    Vannakkam Sanjaya: I am the same. I make 1% back. How much does yours pay you? maybe I should switch. A much much better way of borrowing money short term is a line of credit. I have one just for emergencies especially while traveling but have never used it either. Those poor guys must really hate people like us.

Aum Namasivaya

Namast,

I somehow missed this thread when it was more current, but had to chuckle. After I was a faithful customer for ten years - using my credit card exactly for the purposes that Sanjaya lists, and paying it off in full each month - the company cancelled my card when it came up for renewal, probably because they weren't making any money off of me! (I'm fortunate that my credit union's debit card doubles as a Visa, with the "credit limit" determined by how much money my account has, so I never bothered to get another credit card.)

Sanjaya, I agree that it's not common to live within one's means in the West. But, on the other hand, "one's means" sometimes takes a sudden downturn - and with the economy's status, people being laid off left and right, families with children and elders to support, and rising expenses related to essentials like school (those "required supplies" lists have gotten huge since I was a kid!)...I don't have debt myself because I've been lucky, so I don't feel I can judge others on that count.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Thread Information