Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can one blend Hindu and Buddhist beliefs?

Can one blend Hindu and Buddhist beliefs?

I'm an Agnostic whom is delving into Buddhism. I believe that it is a great thing to live by and, upon looking into its various philosophical teachings, I'm starting to believe in things I never really did before; like Karma and Rebirth.

However, I visited a local Hindu temple and attended a Shiva puja. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and I felt a sense of enlightenment after it was over.

Even though there are similar teachings between Hinduism and Buddhism (Karma, reincarnation/rebirth), a lot of their core beliefs differ greatly.

However, is there a way to be both? To reach a compromise between the two beliefs?

Re: Can one blend Hindu and Buddhist beliefs?

Buddhism has already borrowed 90% of it beliefs and practices from Hinduism and has continued to borrow more ideas from Hinduism as it developed. You can study the upanishads and the Moksha Dharma Parva of the Mahabharata, the yoga sutras, the Bhagavad Gita and you will find that a lot of Hindu ideas were the inspiration of Buddhist doctrine and practice. Not to say that there are not some fundamental differences between Hinduism and Buddhism. The practice of meditation has been preserved and developed well in Buddhism, but originally it was taught to Buddha by his Hindu teachers, Alara Kalama and Uddaka Ramaputta.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Galaxy View Post
    However, is there a way to be both? To reach a compromise between the two beliefs?
    I am afraid not.

There is no compromise possible between the various schools within Hinduism themselves and no compromise possible between the various schools within Buddhism themselves.

When intra-religious differences cannot be resolved, why bother trying to resolve inter-religious differences?

BTW, welcome to HDF and if I may ask - which school of Buddhism do you subscribe to and which school of Hinduism are you looking to seek a compromise with?

Dear Mr_Galaxy,
    Appreciate your interest and openness. Its indeed true that both buddhism and hinduism have their respective positive points.

But as a seeker of Truth, our duty is not to find a bridge between buddhism and hinduism. Our duty is to inquire into the truth and drop whats not truth... whether whats not truth is hinduism/buddhism or anything else. So our sincerity is not to confirm to a belief system but to find the Truth.

its true that Hindu [Advaita] and buddhism go hand in hand uptil a point. Till a point both speak the same language. This has made some people to even consider advaita as buddhism in disguise.

However, as seekers of Truth we need to concentrate on picking whats "Right" and discarding whats "Wrong". So inquiry is required and inquiry requires a proper and systematic study. If a scientist says "E=MC^2", and i reject that saying: how can mass become heat ? ... that just means I have not inquired into it sufficiently.

To understand Advaita, one needs to seek a guru and learn from the guru. The Guru teaches and one sits down and just sees what the guru is presenting... conditionally one accepts it, and sees whether its true or not.

Similar approach can be taken with Buddhism.
    And then one comes to proper understanding.

Thats precisely how I arrived at my understanding and thats precisely how you can try also. I can aid you with a few things here and there if you need such help or you may decide to carry on your own inquiry. For learning hinduism : www.avgsatsang.org. is a good place to start.
    Note:
    1. never jump to conclusions too fast. Question and inquire.
    2. Do not go to anyone and every one to understand Hinduism. My suggestion is the above web site. I believe this can save you lot of effort and time.

For learning Buddhism you should already be having the references

Namaste

Yes, they can. They're essentially two sides of the same coin.

When my guru was studying Tibetan Buddhism in Nepal, he was given Vishnu as his yidam (ishta-devata).

The differences are far more fruitful and complementary than contradictory, so long as you are dealing with tathagatagarbha/vajrayana forms of Buddhism which do not share the defects (from the Hindu perspective) of other types of Buddhism.

I happen to disagree with Wondermunk-ji. The philosophical systems cannot necessarily be reconciled with one another, in terms of axiomatic systems being made to say the same things, but they can be reconciled as multiple viewpoints or 'reality tunnels' the same practitioner is familiar with, and uses as perspectival means.

IMO, Vajrayana Buddhism is a lot closer to Trika & Kaula systems than these systems are to say, Puranic Vaishnavism. The philosophy is basically the same, with terminology being different. The practices are reflections of one another.

I'm an Agnostic whom is delving into Buddhism. I believe that it is a great thing to live by and, upon looking into its various philosophical teachings, I'm starting to believe in things I never really did before; like Karma and Rebirth.

However, I visited a local Hindu temple and attended a Shiva puja. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and I felt a sense of enlightenment after it was over.

Even though there are similar teachings between Hinduism and Buddhism (Karma, reincarnation/rebirth), a lot of their core beliefs differ greatly.

Namaste,

Welcome to the forums !

from my limited understanding, you should not mix 2 religions.

My answer would be you should not. imagine you wish to climb a mountain. The peak is one (i.e. destination is one), but the base of mountain is broad and there are many paths to climb up. Like many mountain paths there are different religious paths leading to same destination. Only the expression, representation, terminology and approach is different.

Can you walk on more than 2 paths at a time?

I guess now you know the answer

As you move closer i.e. up towards mountain peak, paths come closer and finally merge. So some things are common in all religions, but it depends upon which way or quality is focused.

Buddhism focuses on some values like ahinsa, etc and has a tantric tinge in one of it's way. All can be found in Hinduism. The only thing is that no one thing is focused. Updesha is given on 'Adhikara Bheda' i.e. Spiritual instruction is given keeping in mind the nature, qualities, 'present' mindset, circumstances of the questioner.

I do not know exactly, but Buddhism is based in Shunya philosophy i.e. zero State. Sri Ramana Maharshi in '40 verses on Truth or Reality' says that Atman is not zero state but the observer of Zero State. You can only experience when you are present i.e. when you are conscious or aware of that thing, else it goes un-noticed. So who is the one that is saying that it's Zero State.

So things change at the last moment, when one is about to enter into samadhi, of course according to Hinduism that to from my opinion.

Sri Ramakrishna had great respect for Lord Buddha and he said that there is no difference in Advaita and his teachings.

On another occasion, Sri Ramana Maharshi, when asked a question about why Buddha did not say anything about God, Maharshi replied that Lord Buddha was concerned with Enlightenment that is now and here.

It can be noted that Lord Buddha practiced intense meditation and austerity and when he left everything, spontaneously he got Enlightenment.

So after meditating, when one has up-rooted all desires except one - I want Nirvana, then one has to leave that Desire too. Spontaneously one experiences Samadhi i.e. Nirvan. This i also taught in Hindu Texts like Ashtavakra Gita, Mandukya Karika, Yog Vasista.

So technically it's not different. Buddha arrived when Hindus were contented only through scriptural knowledge and in debates and discussion. He proved by is life and experiences that Nirvana is possible and for that Shastras do help but Meditation is necessary. Not mere scholarship. People were attracted by his sheer presence.

So technically a realized Guru is important than the path itself, as if the guide is not proper, then who will guide through the ocean of Samsara. i.e. guide you to Enlightenment.

Best is to keep praying to God to show correct way. If you like buddhism, you continue. Hinduism has all qualities of Buddhism, except for meditation techniques, which are unique to a particular Buddhist Sect. But if you are concerned with moksha / nirvana, enlightenment, then you can adapt another technique to achiece same result. On the other hand, A Buddha (an Enlightened Buddhist Guru or Lama) can guide you to same destination.

Best is to be open and pray to God.

since you had a wonderful experience at Shiva Temple, I humbly suggest you to sit and chant OM Namah Shivaya in that Temple and at home or 45 mins. If you can mange 4 mins, then Japa (chanting Mantra) of Lord Shiva is suitable to you. else try to do Japa for 10 - 15 mins. Keep visiting Shiva Temple.

You can also buy a photo of Lord Shiva. Incase your mind is disturbed, simple gaze at this photo and your mind will soon calm down. these are some of the ways which help to conclude if a particular path is suitable or not.

Kindly note that this is my personal opinion and do not consider myself as an authority on spirituality.

Hope this helps.

Just my 2 cents

Aum

Indiaspirituality.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

However, is there a way to be both?
    Of course. But don't expect every Buddhist or Hindu to agree with your position.

Vannakkam: The Hindu Temple of Atlanta, the one with two temples on the same property? Most likely it wasn't enlightenment you felt, just peace, or bliss. Enlightenment is usually considered a few degrees higher than this feeling.

But it;s great that you actually felt something. That's precisely why Hindus orientated to bhakti (temple and personal worship) keep going back. I wish I could have been there to observe you, and it brings back some memories of a long ago time when I first felt what you felt.

Aum Namasivaya

Vanakkam,

I have practice and a student of one sect of Buddhism, but i never any problem to respect Hindu deities as how i respect Buddha.

We cant blend The sadhana or religious practice, even in Hindu, they also will not blend the sadhana given by specific sampradaya to another sampradaya. We only can doing one sadhana given by our root Guru. In Buddhism Vajrayana also like this.

Even you choose to be Buddhist, there is many sect that you cant blend the sadhana .
    Even you choose to be Hindu, there is many sect and you also cant blend the sadhana.
    Is important to have one Guru for one specific practice.

BUT
    As i have Guru from Buddhism,
    My Guru teach me to repect Hindu deities like i respect Buddha.
    Then i also dont have any problem to join a puja in many sect of Hindu.

my advice, choose what is suitable with your heart
    Then dont use the mindset of abrahamic religion jealousy god to looking at all philosophy in India.
    India philosophy was unique , beautiful and no jealousy God.

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post
    Vanakkam,

I have practice and a student of one sect of Buddhism, but i never any problem to respect Hindu deities as how i respect Buddha.

We cant blend The sadhana or religious practice, even in Hindu, they also will not blend the sadhana given by specific sampradaya to another sampradaya. We only can doing one sadhana given by our root Guru. In Buddhism Vajrayana also like this.

Even you choose to be Buddhist, there is many sect that you cant blend the sadhana .
    Even you choose to be Hindu, there is many sect and you also cant blend the sadhana.
    Is important to have one Guru for one specific practice.

BUT
    As i have Guru from Buddhism,
    My Guru teach me to repect Hindu deities like i respect Buddha.
    Then i also dont have any problem to join a puja in many sect of Hindu.

my advice, choose what is suitable with your heart
    Then dont use the mindset of abrahamic religion jealousy god to looking at all philosophy in India.
    India philosophy was unique , beautiful and no jealousy God.
    Namaste,

Respecting and doing Japa are different things.

It's always good thing to respect all faiths and see positive in everything, but when it comes to doing Japa, then always follow any ONE PATH and ONE GOD. As Japa subconsciously continues after meditation, during day time and even during night time. If you try to mix things it will be a mess and you yourself will not be 100 % clear.

To practice any quality or virtue like non-injury, compassion, etc does not require to change faith. It can be done in any faith

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information