Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unfamiliarity, Contempt, Fear and Shootings

Re: Unfamiliarity, Contempt, Fear and Shootings

Hi Believer,

Yes. This act is absolutely despicable and it is a terrible time for Sikhs in general and US Sikhs in particular. I too wish others on HDF had chosen to post on this thread. But they have their own thoughts/agendas, etc., I guess.

For Indians currently in India, death has just become a numb experience. You open the newspaper, there is just so much news of death. I ended up cancelling my newspaper subscription because all the news is about death/deception/corruption.

For Indians outside of India, I guess there may be other priorities as compared to posting on HDF expressing solidarity with Sikhs.

Indians are really disunited on nearly every issue.

I kept quiet because I did not have anything intellectual to offer.

BTW Silence doesn't always mean one does not feel for the sufferings or loss of a fellow being. It does not imply indifference always. There is some difference between the situation where it will reach the victims families or not - IMO.

But, I wish to say now that my heartfelt condolences go to the families of the victims and prayers for the victims that they reach the abode of the Lord.

I live in the United States, and this is not the first time I've heard of this sort of thing. There were multiple acts of violence against both Sikhs and Muslims after 9/11, and I can even recall acts of violence against Hindus during the first US-Iraq war. There comes a point where one just can't find the words to express one's sadness and disgust. Maybe it happens after the 5th or 6th hate-related murder, I guess. Or maybe it's the shock at what the children must be going through who lost a parent, or the wives are going through who lost husbands.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    I kept quiet because I did not have anything intellectual to offer. BTW Silence doesn't always mean one does not feel for the sufferings or loss of a fellow being. It does not imply indifference always.
    But, I wish to say now that my heartfelt condolences go to the families of the victims and prayers for the victims that they reach the abode of the Lord.
    Same here. Agree.

I offer my compassion and condolences on behalf of all parties involved in this brutal attack....

This is what, in my opinion, happens when one buys into the ego belief-system. I don't think one can simply be ignorant in a situation like this. We are all responsible.
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

Namaste,
    The shooting in Wisconsin is the first act of violencetowards the Sikhs that I have heard about, and I had no idea that suchhostility was shown to them worldwide. And actually, before reading about the shooting online I thought a Sikhwas an ethnic group, no doubt due to my American ignorance lol.
    I am deeply saddenedand infuriated by the hate and violence that is projected upon peaceful peoplefollowing peaceful religions who don’t want anything to do with violence. How can we stop people from being so smallminded and hateful? How can peace standa chance when such anger and hostility blackens the hearts of the egotistical,ignorant souls and fuels them up to display such actions and thoughts? Has enough dharma been destroyed by adharmayet for the balanced to be restored? Please, Kalki, bring us Satya Yuga!
    I pray for the families and friends who lost their lovedones in this tragedy.
    May there be peace!
    May there be love!
    May there be light!

namaste,

I was in Minnesota vacationing only a few hours away from Wisconsin this week when I heard the news on Sunday. I was shocked to learn of the event and followed it as much as I could on CNN, local papers etc. I was planning to drive down to Wisconsin but couldn't due to other committments. A very sad event indeed.

I must say a very classy response by sikh community in return all over north america showing solidarity and making the attack a 'human problem' rather than an attack on 'their' religion. Smart and admirable.
    satay

Sad tragedy.

The ridiculous thing is that this mleccha scum who did the shooting considered himself "Aryan". hahahhaha..

Someone needs to write an article telling him that a stray dog in India is more advanced than him and his "brothers".

Another distortion of Indian history and facts causing harm even today.

I am late in responding, but I wanted to express my deep regret and sorrow for what has happened to the Sikh community.

The root cause of this problem has so many layers -some of which might never be addressed since the shooter killed himself. There is egotism, and arrogance of course, but there is also the issue of the deplorable state of mental health care in the United States and the widespread unwillingness or inability to educate people in large quantities about one another - to dispel fear and violence.

There is no one right answer. I think rallying together in love and support was an admirable and effective start to healing for the Sikh community. It is a shame the more people outside the community did not also rally in such large numbers. It would have made quite the statement.

Peace.

Thread Information