Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yudhishtira

Yudhishtira

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~
    Namaste,

Have you ever considered why Krsna chose Arjuna for his conversation of raj-yoga? ( the Gita). Would Yudhishtira not have been a fit choice?
    He is also known as Dharm-raj himself. A most noble being, the first born of the Pandava.

Have you an opinion on this?

pranams,

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Yudhishtira

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~~
    Namaste,

Have you ever considered why Krsna chose Arjuna for his conversation of raj-yoga? ( the Gita). Would Yudhishtira not have been a fit choice?
    He is also known as Dharm-raj himself. A most noble being, the first born of the Pandava.

Have you an opinion on this?

pranams,
    namaste,
    I have wondered about it. Yudhisthtira was also the eldest brother. One would think that Lord would have given him the special treatment since it is customary for the eldest son to have the first choice in all matters.
    satay

Raj Yog or any yog for that matter are not for those who shy away from their duties, justice and pardon the asura (duryodhan) ... one should be free of personal hatred but at the same time have no doubts about defending justice and slaying those who stand against it.

Personal hatred comes from ego, shying away from duty comes from attachment. Both are moha's as per shastras ~ latter is of a worser type ..... moha of being a good, moha of being bad, moha of sticking to a ideology ... all are same.

Arjuna's had much less moha than Yudhishtira ... "Dharma Raj" is just title for following the book ... we have many people carrying good titles for helping to continue the lies in our present societies.
    Last edited by sm78; 30 January 2007 at 12:24 AM.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    Arjuna's had much less moha than Yudhishtira ... "Dharma Raj" is just title for following the book ... we have many people carrying good titles for helping to continue the lies in our present societies.
    Namaste sm78,
    So, let me test my understanding of your point... since Arjuna has less moha then Yudhishtira, ( the son of Dharma), he then is qualified to recieve the song of the Lord. Is my assessment correct , or have I embellished the point?
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

so why Arjuna? is it because he was the perfect devotee? was he perfect?
    satay

Hari Om
    ~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    so why Arjuna? is it because he was the perfect devotee? was he perfect?
    Namaste Satay,
    before I submit my thoughts on this matter, I would like to hear from sm78,and what he, and others think of this....
    My approach and understanding will be directed by Arjuna as Nara, and Sri Krsna as Nararayana....Nara in sanscrit can mean hero, also can mean a person. It is this relationship that holds ( to me) the meaning of this relationship.

I read of Yudishthira's behviours as only exemplary, as one possessed of high ideals, of spiritual resolve and a great mind. I would aspire to become 1/2 as sattvic as Yudishthira-ji.

The answer to the Lords instruction is in their relationship...

Let us hear from others for additional ideas/insights.
    Last edited by yajvan; 30 January 2007 at 08:58 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste All,

Let's take a step back, shall we? Was it Krishna who chose Arjuna, or was it Arjuna who chose Krishna? Just something to think about ...

Regards,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste sm78,
    So, let me test my understanding of your point... since Arjuna has less moha then Yudhishtira, ( the son of Dharma), he then is qualified to recieve the song of the Lord. Is my assessment correct , or have I embellished the point?
    He is certainly more likely to make better sense of the song of lord than the son of dharma.

The essense of the song of lord is to stand beyond all levels of moha, be it physical, mental or spiritual ~ the final question from the Lord at the end of it all, is whether our (and Arjuna's) moha has been removed by listing to this unparralled song.

As Agnideva says, Yudhishtira (did not) would not have asked for Lord's advice ~ I think his moha for rules of dharma were too much to seek advice at that juncture.

To put my final comment here:- I am not actually sure why Arjuna received the song of lord, and why yudhishtira did not. But that is not a terribly important question for me.

But I am only convinced that Gita's and most mahabharata's teaching is how moha (including spiritual) leads to ruin and how Gita stands beyond all of it. It is indeed the song sung by a Puruhottama ~ one who stands beyond the unmanifest (abyakta), untained by any weaknesses of the manifest.

One cannot be a Krshna, but it should be the only goal of development ~ peace (shiva), love (Vishnu), hate (Asura) or intellect (GaneshA) are not goals of development. They are the powers of the fully evolved one. We can have all, yet not let any become a weakness and attachment.

Namaste,

My thoughts are very similar to Singhi's. Yudhishtira is very noble, and as the dharma raja, he doesn't question dharma. He never questioned the ethics of the war or have a dharmic dilemma on the battle field. Arjuna, on the other hand, is a very human personality in the story. He questions dharma, he is not sure what his dharma is at that point. Had Arjuna not questioned his dharma, had he just blown his conch and said let's begin the war, the song of the Lord would not have been.

Even before the war, Arjuna was given a choice. He could have Krishna as a charioteer, or he could have the entire Yadava army. He chose Krishna over the army, and Kauravas got the army.

It was Arjuna who chose Krishna in that sense. It was Arjuna who needed the message, not Yudhishtira. He was the one who had the moha as Singhi says, which needed to be dispelled.

OM Shanti,
    A.

Thread Information