Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yudhishtira

Re: Yudhishtira

Pranam

please furgive me for stating the obvious

Why Krishna spoke the Bhagvat Gita to Arjun, the reasons are given in the Gita itself and I quote

karpanya-dosopahata-svabhavah
    prcchami tvam dharma-sammudha-cetah
    yac chreyah syan niscitam bruhi tan me
    sisyas te 'ham sadhi mam tvam prapannam

Now I am confused about my duty and have lost all composure because of weakness. In this condition I am asking You to tell me clearly what is best for me. Now I am Your disciple, and a soul surrendered unto You. Please instruct me. Bg2.7

sa evayam maya te 'dya
    yogah proktah puratanah
    bhakto 'si me sakha ceti
    rahasyam hy etad uttamam

Today I have described the same ancient science to you, because you are my sincere devotee and friend. yoga is a supreme secret indeed. (4.03)
    And further in chapter 9 he says because you are not envious.

Youdhister was born amsah of Dharma Raj; he is said to go to haven in his original form.
    He was truth personified he had mastered Dharma studying from his gurus while Arjun was expert in the field of fighting and it is Arjun who is deluded and overcome by grief therefor the Gita was spoken to Arjun.
    I can not see any other reason

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Re: Yudhishtira - my humble opinion

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste Unmesaki ( one who has the eyes opened a.k.a open to the truth).

Here is my opinion as I see it:
    Arjuna is Nara - means Hero, Leader ( as is Arjuna) and it also means the ordinary person.
    We also know Arjuna's name Arjuna: a—"no," rajju—"rope," the symbol of bondage, and na—"no." Although he is free, he thinks he is in bondage.

And we know Narayanya as the Supreme - nara + ayana. Nara as we said can mean person or humanity + ayana is path. So it can mean the path of man or humanity - the path of all of us to the Supreme, is one view. Another view is nara for ~ water , and ayana moving or path for He you lies upon the water ( the symbol for consciousness) .
    So know this Narayana as Visnu , and then Krsna , the fountainhead of all.
    So Nara and Narayana are quire close… like Arjuna and Sri Krsna. We have that established.

But why did Hrishikesha ( Krsna, the Lord of the senses) give this knowledge to Gudakesha ( Arjuna, or the conqueror of sleep) ? Here's an idea to consider:
    Arjuna represents the highly elevated, yet ordinary man ( Nara)… this suggests to me that the song of the Lord can be comprehended by one and all. It is Arjuna that asks the most practical questions of life ( and strife) that one encounters. Our duty, family, our social dharma and personal dharma. Arjuna represents Nara, humanity, with his questions a.k.a - you and me. Krsna is able to deliver the wisdom of life to the world through Arjuna, our Nara, the representative of humanity.

Another salient point is the response of Krsna as the Supreme, as Vishva (Vaishvanara). The response of the universe to ones need is done in a timely manner. This is a subtle yet interesting lesson. The universe is highly intelligent, it is the expression, if not the representation of pure intelligence. With Krshna's response , He is responding to the need of the time. That is, Arjuna's request for knowledge, both practical as a kasatriya, and as a sishya, the student of the Jagadguru , Krsna. This is quite interesting, as Krsna is able to uplift Arjuna from a personal, social and spiritual standpoint, so is the wisdom of the Supreme.

Now, the question remains, why was this wisdom not imparted to Arjuna's brother and King, Yudhishtira? Its my humble opinion, Yudhishtira's needs are of a different order. How so? Lets compare the questions of Yudhishtira (from yudhi, "in the battle", and sthira, "calm, undisturbed" some say 'fixed' or he that is calm in battle).
    Yudhishtira asks Bhishma six questions, as he, Bhishma awaits the proper time to drop the body. He had the boon of Ichchamrtyu, the power to die whenever he wished. Yet who suggests that Yudhishtira should visit Bhishma? It was Krsna. What was the intent? Aruna brings out one level of knowledge for Nara ( humanity) and Yudhishtira will bring out another level of knowledge, Narayana bhakti…. He asks the following questions:
    1. Who is the supreme deity?
    2. Which is the supreme goal?
    3.& 4. Praising whom and worshipping whom men attain happiness?
    5. What is, in your opinion , the best dharma of all?
    6.Meditation on whom leads one to salvation?
    These questions are of a high nature… Yudhishtira is an evoloved soul, the son or Dharma. From these question's Bhishma is Able to impart Vishnu sahasranama, or the 1000 names of the Lord or Jagatprabhu, as He is the one who ordains salvation by His Grace as well as upligting and supporting Dharma (as represented by Yudhishtira).

Let me know of your thoughts and comments...

Pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 12 February 2007 at 01:32 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Yudhishtira

Namaste,

In my very unscholarly opinion, Arjun's struggle with moral issues of going to war with his kin, and his confusion about duty and the nature of life and death are the very traits that made him the perfect choice. The doubts and uncertainty that paralyzed Arjuna are symbolic of the doubts and uncertainty that plague humanity. When Krishna convinced His friend of the truth and revealed him His true nature, He also revealed it to humanity, who have the doubts dispelled the moment we understand what took place on that field. Humanity must come to the same epiphany that Arjun realized; that Krishna is lord of discipline and we, knowing that, are simply to perform our duty without hesitation or fear.

Hari Hari

Thread Information