Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bhairava

Re: Bhairava

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste and pranams.

During my short stay here, I have received many PMs of loving support for myself and my family, however, each has also been a bit curious about me...especially how it is, I can worship Lord Shiva's most destructive, terrible and frightening form with so much love and devotion, yet I am not scared myself, being a caring, sensitive woman.

Part of this has to do with my Hindu 'upbringing' in South-East Asia, preferring the more tribal and esoteric forms of Lord Shiva, whilst the rest comes across as strong feelings and emotions experienced whenever I perform my daily meditation and worship.

The very first thing I notice about Lord Shiva is how awesome He is...quite literally.

Lord Shiva is 'the destroyer' and it's a reminder to me just how quickly He can snuff us all out...me...you, everybody/thing. Lord Shiva sitting on a mountain in deep Samadhi and in full equanimity isn't really going to give a damn, face it. lulz

It's just that I feel Lord Shiva as Kala Bhairava. It's just the feeling I get...

I have also seen the many 'forms' of Bhairava, but it's sort of not really like that either. I don't identify with any of them either, really.

Lord Shiva, to/for me, is directly synonymous with Maha Rudra and the form of Shiva worshipped in the Vedas...worshipped by Yagna...maybe by those living in the Harappan/Indus Valley...long time ago.

This is nothing like the pictures/images/statues of Lord Shiva today, where He has been 'beautified' into something I can't really relate to either - Lord Nataraja is about as close as I can get to this...the Shiva Tandavam is what allows Lord Shiva's spiritual energy to be released into (an onto) an unsuspecting world or person.

Please don't get me started about the Shiva Lingam either. I could never worship this. I understand it is supposed to represent the 'non-corporeal' form of Lord Shiva....but if I wanted to do that, I would be spending years in meditation and spiritual austerities to realise the 'non-corporeal' form of Lord Shiva for myself....not any form of natural formation that resembles (or is 'sposed to represent) a 'penis'.

I don't even want to 'go there' in regards to a divine, omnipotent being even having the necessity for one of these...let alone have it represent a non-corporeal form. When I see a Shiva Lingam, I can't get over the 'wow, isn't nature and erosion pretty cool to make all those stones from the Narada River all the same shape and size?' I see them as being nothing more than stones, blocks of ice, man-made objects...I just cannot 'get' the significance whatsoever. I don't own a Lingam and not about to buy one.

Well, there we have it in a nutshell. I just feel so much love and devotion towards this most potent universal energy. This form of Shiva that calls his 'Shakti' to him....or in other words, that which resides at Sahashrara, calling on the force of Kundalini...destroying all ignorance, sin and illusion...in effect also 'destroying the world' from the perspective of the individual.

This is Bhairava. This is why I feel this.

Aum Kaalakalaya vidhmahe Kaalaatheethaaya dheemahi Thanno Kaala Bhairava Prachodhayat.
    Last edited by Necromancer; 13 January 2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: grammar sucks today. lol

Namaste

Bhairava is wonderful. He is the “Guardian” of Varanasi Kashi, the City of Shiva which is Never Forsaken. Kashi is the oldest City in the world. Bhairava is of course, Siva. I am a devotee of Mother Annapurna. Lord Bhairava was advised after taking off one of the heads of Lord Brahma to go to Kashi and seek alms (beg spiritual food) from Annapurna Amman. He is There and considered to “guard” the Temples of the “City of Light”. To this day, when I go to Kashi as with every devout, we need to give our worship to Lord Bhairava. He is found at the following holy tirthas:
    Kshethrapala Bhairava or Dwara Bhairava - Kasi Viswanath TempleRuru Bhairava - Hanuman GhatChanda Bhairava - Durga KundAsitanga Bhairava - Amrit KundKapala Bhairava or Lat BhairavKrodha Bhairava - KamacchaUnmatta Bhairava - Bhimchandi SadakSamhara Bhairava - Trilochanganj

There is no fear. Even you, yourself, may in your own way destroy the world. You do this when you become realized in Buddhi, when you step into a tirtha and “cross over”, when you attain Moksha. But Siva is always there:
    Shrushtach Purvah Shivah Proktah
    Shrushtaer Madhye Shivastatha
    Shrushtaer antae Shivah Proktaeh
    Sarvashoonyae Tatha Shivah

“Shiva existed before creation and exists during and after creation as well as during the deluge when everything is destroyed.”

With Bhairava is Indrani Shakti. They guard the temple. You can see all the temples of Kashi in the Third Eye of Bhairava. Chamunda Shakti stands on one side, Indrani stands on the other.

Om Namah Sivaya

Vanakkam,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge _/\_ As a Saiva I worship every aspect of Shiva, included KalaBhairavaJi !

He is the Lord of Time too, the time that bring our end closer every second, the time that destroy and alter everything .... But time also mature things and makes them bloom, time can bring opportunities. It it said that some people pray to KalaBhairava for helping them manage their time and ward off unauspicious times in their day or life, and that, being Shiva, He is easy to please even with the simplest sadhana if it is rigorously followed and done with devotion and strenght. I have seen many people prostrate and pray to Lord KalaBhairava in the temple, He is next to the Navgrahas, I think it's a very fitting spot for Him !

He makes us remind of our limited time, He seems finite but hold infinite possibilities

However being a fierce form it's not a good idea to have an idol at home temple. KalaBhairava is the one that belongs to temples, in my opinions. Still having a photo on altar to pay hommage or for remembrance cannot do any bad, I think

Aum Namah Shivaya _/\_
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Quote Originally Posted by McKitty View Post
    Vanakkam,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge _/\_ As a Saiva I worship every aspect of Shiva, included KalaBhairavaJi !

He is the Lord of Time too, the time that bring our end closer every second, the time that destroy and alter everything .... But time also mature things and makes them bloom, time can bring opportunities. It it said that some people pray to KalaBhairava for helping them manage their time and ward off unauspicious times in their day or life, and that, being Shiva, He is easy to please even with the simplest sadhana if it is rigorously followed and done with devotion and strenght. I have seen many people prostrate and pray to Lord KalaBhairava in the temple, He is next to the Navgrahas, I think it's a very fitting spot for Him !

He makes us remind of our limited time, He seems finite but hold infinite possibilities

However being a fierce form it's not a good idea to have an idol at home temple. KalaBhairava is the one that belongs to temples, in my opinions. Still having a photo on altar to pay hommage or for remembrance cannot do any bad, I think

Aum Namah Shivaya _/\_
    Namaste.

Thank you and I totally agree. I worship Kala Bhairava as the planetary deity of Shaniwar (which is retrograde in Pisces in my Third House causing me many problems in my life) via way of a Yantra in my Shrine. This is the best way to do it, imho.

The Kala Bhairava Yantra looks like this:
    https://www.celextel.com/images/yantras/ytp389.jpg

Of course, there are some nice pictures and murthys around too, but again, they have been made 'pleasing' so we can't experience the full-force of Lord Bhairava.

Stuff like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1YNdYQxpe5...0/bhairava.jpg
    *the dog looks like a goat. lmao

http://www.dollsofindia.com/images/p...ava-QI20_l.jpg
    *that's a nice one, but Lord Brahma must have a tiny head. =)

However....the stuff I like is more influenced by the art/styles of Nepal and Tibet...like this:

http://www.4to40.com/images/coloring_book/shiva.gif
    *prints it to color it in - it's a nice picture, actually....a nice act of devotion there...

I have two statues and one picture of Lord Nataraja on my Shrine...which reminds me about what happens just before Lord Bhairava appears and I have a tiny statue of a dog (which I don't worship, but it's just there as a 'reminder').

Thank you, ShivaFan too. I have added to your reputation for teaching me something I didn't know before. That was indeed very interesting.

I shall leave you all today, with this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWdd4qjthaM
    *I cannot get enough of that.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 13 January 2013 at 06:50 PM.

In addition.....yeah, okay I will now 'go there' even though this subject totally repulses me to hell and back, but I really gotta get over this... ever since I saw it for real a few weeks ago, I just can't forget it, but it makes me vomit every time I think of it, right? lol

In researching the sects of Aghora to learn more about Lord Shiva and the Saddhus who worship him...I watched this documentary about a 14yr old orphan boy who was raised by Shaiva Saddhus on the banks of the Ganges in Varanasi.

The Aghora sect worships Lord Bhairava, but that's not all they do...they eat dead people.

That was the grossest thing I have ever seen in my life (even though I have heard rumours about it, but up til then, that's all they were).

I understand why they do it, it's part of their 'ritualistic beliefs' in that they associate attachment to the body like a soul living in a carcass of rotting flesh...I mean, I get that already...it's the hygiene...the potential for disease (and yes, I realise the Mother Ganga is like a flowing river of Dettol)...but the taste? Nope, don't want to think about how it would taste...bleh. I have no issues with the 'morality' of this at all. lulz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RPQ1RqxgVQ

*please watch

Anyway, I don't like that part of it. I mean, I was 'okay' with them smoking dope, but eating a dead granny when you get the munchies?

Bham Bham Bhole

Namaste Everyone,

There are said to be 8 forms of Bhairavas - 'AshtaBhairavas' - each bhairava, with his Shakti, is said to reside in one of the chakras of the body and exert his influence on the same. I think this is what makes the Bhairava worship most challenging - when invoked, he acts on the state of all of our chakras and responds accordingly, is it not? Here is a link containing the picture of each of the Bhairavas: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8316419&type=3
    This is another link that talks a little bit about Ashtabhairavas and the name of their shaktis.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    Namaste Everyone,

There are said to be 8 forms of Bhairavas - 'AshtaBhairavas' - each bhairava, with his Shakti, is said to reside in one of the chakras of the body and exert his influence on the same. I think this is what makes the Bhairava worship most challenging - when invoked, he acts on the state of all of our chakras and responds accordingly, is it not? Here is a link containing the picture of each of the Bhairavas: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8316419&type=3
    This is another link that talks a little bit about Ashtabhairavas and the name of their shaktis.
    Namaste. That's some amazing information there and thank you. I didn't know about any of the Bhairavas until very recently (except as a Temple Guardian in Bali whom I was quite awed and fascinated by as a child).

My personal experience with Lord Bhairava:

The date: 6/12/12.
    The time: about 8pm
    The location: surfing Youtube watching True Crime Stories 'cause bored.

...and so it was, I eventually became bored with 'True Crime Stories' and didn't know what else to do/look at, too early to sleep, nothing on TV, eBay bids had days to go...bleh mood! bored!

'Hmmm...' I thought - 'I may listen to Bhajans/Kirtans or something (emphasis on 'or something'), it's been years since I heard one, but where to start?'

I started with SPB's Lingashtakam. 'Yeap, remember that...remember the words....boring....next...Oh wait, what's this then? Kalabhairavashtakam??? never heard it before...okay, let's listen to that'.

Now, I can speak/read/understand Sanskrit and the first time I heard this, it just totally floored me. Scenes from the last 40 years of my life came flooding back to me like something out of 'Sin Eater' and I experienced weird physical sensations from head to toe. It really shook me up and it took 12 repeats for me to get that down to a 'manageable' level and by that time, I had learned the Mantra by heart. Next, I heard the Kal Bhairava Stotra and felt like I was being torn apart from the inside-out. I didn't know what was happening to me or why.

After the experience, I looked on images for Kala Bhairava and the very first thing I saw was the Kala Bhairava Yantra and I just felt it happen again right then and there.

He's the planetary deity of Saturn. Saturn is retrograde in Pisces in the 3rd house in Natal Chart. This was my true 'Birth Yantra'. I was like 'OMG! this is it!' and I immediately purchased one.

Then, I decided to actually study up on an Avatar of Lord Shiva I knew little to nothing about. I saw all those 8 forms, but it was all 'academic' for me. What was it that I was actually looking for here? Let's read on, shall we?

Temples...Appearances....Celebrations...'Kala Bhairava Jayanhti...6th December, 2012'.

Upon seeing that, I collapsed to the floor in a pool of tears then prostrated myself before Lord Shiva/Bhairava and I surrendered everything that I was and found that Love again....that Love I had 'lost'. I was like that for hours. It was time to come back home.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 17 January 2013 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Now, I can speak/read/understand Sanskrit and the first time I heard this, it just totally floored me. Scenes from the last 40 years of my life came flooding back to me like something out of 'Sin Eater' and I experienced weird physical sensations from head to toe. It really shook me up and it took 12 repeats for me to get that down to a 'manageable' level and by that time, I had learned the Mantra by heart. Next, I heard the Kal Bhairava Stotra and felt like I was being torn apart from the inside-out. I didn't know what was happening to me or why.

After the experience, I looked on images for Kala Bhairava and the very first thing I saw was the Kala Bhairava Yantra and I just felt it happen again right then and there.
    That is some spiritual experience! You should really get going steadfast on Kalabhairava worship and it may work miracles for your spiritual upliftment!

I have heard of an interesting story about this Kalabhairava at Nepal. It seems local Nepalese go to this Kalabhairava upon disputes - they have the belief that whosoever lies before this kalabhairava will be punished by him severely. Taken to this belief, the Nepalese even to this day, are said to settle their disputes in this manner, by oath-taking and telling the truth before Kalabhairava!

I so wish I am blessed with the visit to holy Kashi, ruled by the great custodian of times, Sri Kalabhairava!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

The most awesome part, was not the actual spiritual experience (which was more unsettling/nervewracking and 'curious' than anything) but realising I was performing worship of Kala Bhairava unknowingly on his most auspicious day.

That's what led me into having a beautiful spiritual experience after that and also what signified my return to Hinduism and to Lord Shiva.

That was just too coincidental to be coincidence and what I experienced then because of it, just left me sobbing '....and never let me forget this day' over and over.

I have been to Kashi, many years ago, but that was before I knew my Lord Bhairava. I just went for Ganga Darshan (which I enjoyed much better in Haridwar).

I have no desire to return to India and to be totally honest with you, I really don't like the place much....too hot....too dirty....too noisy....too many hagglers....too crowded...too many gastro bugs that immediately leap into my stomach the second I get off the airplane...

I have found my heart again. Lord Shiva has been taking good care of it and now, I don't know what to do...living in the outback of Australia, miles away from anywhere *goes and preaches to kangaroos...

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 17 January 2013 at 04:27 PM.

Thread Information