Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Strengthen our Dharma?

How to Strengthen our Dharma?

I would like to use this thread to explore implementable ideas to strengthen Hindu Dharma.

Re: How to Strengthen our Dharma?

Vannakkam:

1) Support forums like HDF.
    2) Donate to temples, to free literature programs, to charities.
    3) Wear Hinduism on your sleeve.
    4) Avoid coercive of unethical proseltyzing, you give all Hindus a bad name.

I could go on, and on. So what are some of your ideas, Seeker?

Aum namasivaya

We are living in kali yuga, so we have to be a little pessimistic about the development of dharma, but do the best we can.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 01 January 2012 at 09:52 AM.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

For me, I tend to look at this in a slightly different manner. By 'doing' I create more 'doing' more actions, more binding influences that only clogs-up the system. If I do 'good', I am happy but it is still doing; If I do 'bad' it is still doing, and more boundries.

The question is what can I ~do~ that is uplifting and supports dharma ? That all the other 4 parts ( puruṣārtha&#185 of dharma follow along. Like pulling a leg on a chair, all 4 legs ( and the chair) come along. For this I look to the wisdom found in the bhāgavad gītā chapter 6, 5th śloka. It says, Let a man raise (uddhā) his self by his Self; let him not debase his Self. He alone is his own friend, he alone , his own enemy.

So, the upliftment of one's full being is by raising the self to the Self-referal level.

praṇām

words
    4 puruṣārtha : kāma , desire and its fulfillment, ; artha , acquirement of wealth ; dharma , discharge of duty to one's self, family, society, and mokṣa , final emancipation.

Last edited by yajvan; 01 January 2012 at 02:06 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

How to Strengthen our Dharma?
    By living it. Can there be 2 answers about it?

But if you are specifically talking about the hindu society and our duty towards it, then I don't know really. I have basically given up hope on the long term chances of survival of humanity. The kali yuga theory is one good example of what's wrong with Hinduism on the other hand.

I still believe in activism very much (there is no thing like "non-doing" in the real world - one can be either be active & helpful Or lazy & selfish) , but in the current circumstances it is difficult to say what one should fight for. I currently believe disowning all religions is the best option in the west, we loose much of the foundation or rational cause to fight another religion if we take shelter of one.

As for Hindus, we can strongly emphasize the hindu culture (where the tradition is meaningful) of India as opposed to being part of another religion. Hindus can do thousands of other things to save their culture and develop it for future generations - but it needs Hindus to be united politically & socially. Unity has been elusive for better part of thousand years, so the biggest question is, how unity can be ever achieved? Now our majority in the country is also dwindling slowly, but even with overwhelming majority, the slimy politicians found it more useful to pander to the minorities to achieve power. To get elected they only had to satisfy the 20% of the population, while the remaining 80% hindus never matter (for their own faults and worthlessness, no point blaming politicians). So only activism, if any, is fight for cultural and political unity (though I don't believe it is achievable anyway).
    Last edited by sm78; 01 January 2012 at 12:53 PM.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

We do need to fear the downfall of society (tasmaatsarvaaNi bhootaani na tvam Sochitumarhasi). Eventually, bhagavan will reestablish dharma. Yada yada hi dharmasya glanir bhavati bharata. I don't see anything wrong with Hinduism having the idea of yugas with cyclical history and dharma declining as we go. I also don't see the need to reject religion as a whole. I have heard other Hindus say that Hinduism is not a religion, I can't agree with that.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 01 January 2012 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam:

1) Support forums like HDF.
    2) Donate to temples, to free literature programs, to charities.
    3) Wear Hinduism on your sleeve.
    4) Avoid coercive of unethical proseltyzing, you give all Hindus a bad name.

I could go on, and on. So what are some of your ideas, Seeker?

Aum namasivaya
    What do you mean by wearing Hinduism on your sleeve?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    It is not our job to be concerned about society.
    I see this differently. 'Society' is no more then the collection of its parts, and the parts are people. If one maintains their own health, then we contribute to the overall health of society. If we are negative, this too is transferred to society. There is no independent action say the wise.

Some call this sādhāraṅa dharma - 'having or resting on the same support or basis, belonging or applicable to many or all , general , common to all , universal '

Where can we infer this idea from the ved ? The ṛṣi śamvanana¹ offers the following ( agni is devatā, the meter (chandas) is triṣṭubh):

Meet together, talk together, let your minds apprehend alike;
    In like manner as the ancient gods concurring accepted their portions at the sacrifice.
    Common be the prayer of these assembled worshippers, common be the acquirement, common the purpose, associated by the desire.
    I repeat for you a common prayer, I offer for you with a common oblation.
    Common be your intention, common be the wishes of your hearts, common be your thoughts, So that there may be thorough union among you.

praṇām

words
    • ṛṣi śamvanana - from the family of añgrias has a beautiful name
      • śam ( to prepare, arrange) +
      • vana (plenty, abundance) +
      • na (a jewel or pearl - this is the 3rd derivation of na)
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Yes, of course. That is another discussion altogether.

What will happen to society as kali yuga progresses is described well in the shastras and it is pretty accurate. I am not saying to use this as an excuse to blow up the world with all problems society is facing. There are very important concerns to deal with to keep society functioning and the shastras do put importance on this. Still there is a basic pattern of decline of dharma in society that is outside our influence. We have to face the reality of kali yuga and as religious people believe that Bhagavan will take an avatar to reestablish dharma. Kali yuga is also an opportunity according the shastras, because a little dharma will be more effective, so I am not saying this as to lose hope altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowlotus View Post
    What do you mean by wearing Hinduism on your sleeve?
    Vannakkam RL: It's an expression about being confident. Because of years of ridicule from the British, and others, many Hindus think that their civilisation is inferior to the western one. So they won't dress like a Hindu, wear jewelry, and such. Not that we should be 'in your face' but neither should we say, "I believe in all religions' when asked, or refuse to answer when someone asks, "What religion are you?"

I find this is especially necessary amongst Hindus themselves. The main point is that there is nothing wrong with being a Hindu, despite what others might say.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information