Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mark of Lord

The Mark of Lord

This thread is for discussion of the most enduring & popular yet rarely properly understood symbol of the Shiva Lingam.

The origin of this symbol of Godhead is beyond the pale of history, with evidence found of its worship in the Harrapan (or Sindhu Saraswati) civilization. Some scholars point out that the origin of the shiva lingam lies in the artharvanic samhitas ~ though vedas do not explicitely mentions this symbol.

The word lingam render itself into many meanings. The most common is "a mark" or "symbol". Thus Shiva Lingam means the symbol or mark of Lord Shiva. This seems to be the view of the saiva sects in brief.

However some shakats seem to propagate the idea of lingam as a symbol of creative force of shiva in the material world ~ they claim shiva lingam is a direct representation of the male regenerative organ and the peetham is the yoni.

Then there are yogic interpretations as well which are more concrete and esoteric at the same time.

Please feel free to post all different views and understanding we have about this great symbol of our dharma which has stood the test of time and is a very powerful "Yantra" or tool for meditation. Please cite appropriate evidence if possible. Shastra pramAna helps to weed off our own imaginations on sacred symbols of our rishis which were certainly not imaginations. I will post what little I know as I find time. Time constraint has prevented me to do my own research into the topic which interests me immensely. I hope the more knowledgeable members here can provide interesting hints and evidence of this supreme symbol of God.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Re: The Mark of Lord

namaste,

In punjab, where I am from originally, the mark of the lord is more in line with the beliefs of shaktas i.e. it is a representation of the creative force. The word 'lingum' also means the male organ. However, yes, some say that the shape of 'yoni' at the bottom of the lingum is not really yoni but just a shape to allow the milk and water offerings to channel and drop down. But why have that shape anyway, the offerings will drop down anyway. Isn't it?

I would be nice to have different views collected here.

Nice effort singhi!
    satay

Namaskar Singhi,

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    This thread is for discussion of the most enduring & popular yet rarely properly understood symbol of the Shiva Lingam.
    This is an excellent topic. This is something i am very interested in as well. Shiva Lingam is a powerful symbol and the supreme yantra-mandala, which is often not correctly understood, I feel. Thanks for bringing it up.

The origin of this symbol of Godhead is beyond the pale of history, with evidence found of its worship in the Harrapan (or Sindhu Saraswati) civilization. Some scholars point out that the origin of the shiva lingam lies in the artharvanic samhitas ~ though vedas do not explicitely mentions this symbol.
    Saivas have so interpreted, you are right. Especially in Vira Shaivism, some passages from the Upanishads and Veda referring to Brahman has been interpreted to mean Shiva Lingam (symbol of the Absolute).

The word lingam render itself into many meanings. The most common is "a mark" or "symbol". Thus Shiva Lingam means the symbol or mark of Lord Shiva. This seems to be the view of the saiva sects in brief.
    However some shaktas seem to propagate the idea of lingam as a symbol of creative force of shiva in the material world ~ they claim shiva lingam is a direct representation of the male regenerative organ and the peetham is the yoni.
    You got it just right Singhi, Shabas! Most do not know this important difference. In Saiva tantras, Lingam is a symbol of the Absolute, not a generative symbol as far as I know. In some Shakta tantras, Lingam and Pitham are considered symbols of male and female regenerative powers. The latter view made it into some Puranic tales (Vamana purana, etc), and so became part of popular (mis-)understanding (especially among western Indologists).

In Shaivism, the Lingam is called the arupa rupa (formless form) of the Divine, and considered a highest and greatest symbol. There are two types of worshipped images (murtis) in Shaivism symbolizing that Shiva is both the formful Lord, and the formless Absolute.

The formful images are icons. They are anthropomorphic and called the Maheshvara murtis. There are 25 types of Maheshvara Murtis.

The formless image (Lingam) is aniconic. It is the opposite of an icon. The Lingam in non-anthropomorphic and called the Sadashiva murti. All forms are realized as One within Sadashiva. The Lingam represents that oneness of Brahma-Vishnu-Rudra within Shiva, and the Pitham (base) represents Shakti. For this reason, the Sadashiva murti is considered higher than any of the Maheshvara murtis, and found in almost all Shiva temples.

Then there is something in between - the Mukha Lingam - Lingam with a face. This represents that the Divine is simultaneously formful and formless.

This is sort of a brief overview from memory. There is more to be said here, but I will wait till I have more time to provide references.

Then there are yogic interpretations as well which are more concrete and esoteric at the same time.
    Please feel free to post all different views and understanding we have about this great symbol of our dharma which has stood the test of time and is a very powerful "Yantra" or tool for meditation. Please cite appropriate evidence if possible. Shastra pramAna helps to weed off our own imaginations on sacred symbols of our rishis which were certainly not imaginations.
    I was reading about all this recently in some book about Saiva Agamas. I will post about this in the coming days, and provide references. I hope others will post on this topic too.

Regards,
    A.

However some shakats seem to propagate the idea of lingam as a symbol of creative force of shiva in the material world ~ they claim shiva lingam is a direct representation of the male regenerative organ and the peetham is the yoni.

Please feel free to post all different views and understanding we have about this great symbol of our dharma which has stood the test of time and is a very powerful "Yantra" or tool for meditation. Please cite appropriate evidence if possible. Shastra pramAna helps to weed off our own imaginations on sacred symbols of our rishis which were certainly not imaginations. I will post what little I know as I find time. Time constraint has prevented me to do my own research into the topic which interests me immensely. I hope the more knowledgeable members here can provide interesting hints and evidence of this supreme symbol of God.
    Namaskar All,

Surely Lord has no solid phallus.

In Rig Veda there is a reference that 'three mothers do not weary Him'. It is the ascent -- always, Gunas do not weary it. Never down. Physically, it is Agni, which is hidden in the bosom of mother earth. It is the Atma in beings that is Na Lipayate always -- though immersed in Prakriti. Agni is known to have made a small hole in the sacrifice -- the Jiva, for its own ascent. And at the highest level, it represents the Achala, with Purusha and Prakriti differentiated as well as united. The SELF with its Prakriti -- the awareness, which together truly is the creative principle. Lord thinks: May it be so and so it is.

And Vishnu manifested from Shiva Linga for Madhavacharya.

The following link gives some information

http://www.indiatravelogue.com/sacr/refl/linga.html

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    You got it just right Singhi, Shabas! Most do not know this important difference. In Saiva tantras, Lingam is a symbol of the Absolute, not a generative symbol as far as I know. In some Shakta tantras, Lingam and Pitham are considered symbols of male and female regenerative powers. The latter view made it into some Puranic tales (Vamana purana, etc), and so became part of popular (mis-)understanding (especially among western Indologists).
    I'm actually in lookout in what exact context shakta agamas consider shiva lingam as a symbol of the regenerative organ. It seems quite against the essence of lingam archana to me. One highly scholarly smarta teacher told me that shiva lingam does represent the passage from saguna to nirguna.

The word lingam has strong grammatical connection to the word laya (I don't know sanskrit grammer ~ pls correct me if this info is wrong), which means dissolution. Shiva Linga archana is all about understanding dissolution of creation ~ and the seat of creation is mind.

Indeed one tantra says that "akasha is the linga, and prithvi is the yoni". Note akasha tattva is closely linked with mind-stuff ~ when thoughts are dissolved, mind reaches its original Akashik state.

Ofcourse creation is an important shakti of the Lord ~ but we can hope for liberation by understanding the reverse process of dissolution or laya ~ which lingam signifies.

Those who have poured water and milk over a shiva lingam on an auspicious day and sat quitely beside it after that will need no convincing, that lingam has the effect of laya on the mind ~ the reason is deep rooted yogic principles in its design...subject of another post.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    However, yes, some say that the shape of 'yoni' at the bottom of the lingum is not really yoni but just a shape to allow the milk and water offerings to channel and drop down. But why have that shape anyway, the offerings will drop down anyway. Isn't it?
    Namaskar Satay,

Ever notice the similarity between a Shiva Lingam pedestal and an diya (oil lamp)?

This is not a coincidence. The Lingam represents the flame in the middle of the oil lamp. Remember the Jyotir-Lingam (Infinite Column of Light), the form of Shiva shown to Brahma and Vishnu? In the Puranic story, Brahma and Vishnu were not able to find the top and bottom, respectively, of the Column of Light. According to some, the Lingam is a representation of that Infinite Jyotir-Lingam.

OM Shanti,
    A.

Namaskar Singhi,

The word lingam has strong grammatical connection to the word laya (I don't know sanskrit grammer ~ pls correct me if this info is wrong), which means dissolution. Shiva Linga archana is all about understanding dissolution of creation ~ and the seat of creation is mind.
    Yes!!! I was going to say this, but wanted to wait till I find the reference. According to some Shivacharyas of the past - Linga is derived from laya (dissolution) + anga (body). So, upon dissolution, all that remains is the oneness represented by the Linga. All forms in differentiation remain in the oneness of Linga form after dissolution and before creation.

Indeed one tantra says that "akasha is the linga, and prithvi is the yoni". Note akasha tattva is closely linked with mind-stuff ~ when thoughts are dissolved, mind reaches its original Akashik state.
    I have read this too, can't remember where. I will have to find that reference and post it here too. This has been a great discussion so far.

OM Shanti,
    A.
    Last edited by Agnideva; 11 April 2007 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    Remember the Jyotir-Lingam (Infinite Column of Light), the form of Shiva shown to Brahma and Vishnu?
    From the Linga Purana:

The Linga

The sages said, "We know that a Linga is Shiva’s image. But why is Shiva worshipped in the form of a Linga?"

Lomaharshana recounted the following story.

Many years ago, at the end of destruction, there was water everywhere in the universe and the universe was shrouded in darkness. Vishnu slept on the water in His form of Narayana.

Brahmā discovered Vishnu sleeping thus and woke Him up. Failing to recognize Vishnu, He asked, "Who are You and what are You doing here?"

Vishnu woke up and noticed Brahmā standing there. He smiled and said, "How are You, Brahmā? Is everything well with My son?”

"‘How dare You call me Your son?’ demanded Brahmā. "I am Brahmā, the Lord of everything. I am the Creator of the universe. How dare anyone call me His son?"

"You seem to have forgotten everything," said Vishnu. "I am Vishnu and You were born from Me. That is the reason why I addressed You as My son."

Brahmā did not accept this and started to fight with Vishnu. While the two were thus grappling, a blazing Linga suddenly appeared. It was almost as if the Linga had emerged to settle Brahmā and Vishnu’s dispute. The Linga rose way up into the sky and it seemed to have no beginning or end.

"What on earth is this Pillar of Fire doing here?" Vishnu asked Brahmā. "Let us investigate it. Why don’t You go up and see where it ends? As for me, I shall proceed downwards. Let us meet after a while and compare notes."

Brahmā agreed to do this. He adopted the form of a swan and flew up. Vishnu adopted the form of a boar and dug down. No matter how far down Vishnu went, He could find no end to the Linga. Nor could Brahmā discover its upper extremity.

They returned and were amazed to find that neither had been able to find the end of the Linga. They realized that they must be in the presence of a Power that was greater than their own. They therefore began to pray to the Linga and the sound of the mantra (incantation) AUM echoed all around the Linga. Shiva appeared from within the Linga in the form of a sage named Vedanama. He told them that it was the Linga which was the origin of the universe. It was from the Linga that the primordial egg (brahmānda), the origin of the universe, had been created.

Shiva also taught Brahmā and Vishnu the sacred Gāyatri mantra. He told Brahmā and Vishnu, "We are all three parts of the same Supreme Brahman. Brahmā is the Creator, Vishnu is the preserver and I am the Dissolver. Don’t fight amongst yourselves."

Ever since that day, Shiva has been worshipped in the form of the Linga.

Source: http://www.bharatadesam.com/spiritual/linga_purana.php

OM Namah Shivaya.
    Last edited by Agnideva; 10 April 2007 at 05:17 PM.

(note: the criticism is of western Indologists)

The Siva-Linga

A Symbol Which Points To An Inference

The popular belief among foreigners is that the Siva-Linga represents the phallus or the virile organ, the emblem of the generative power or principle in nature. This is not only a serious mistake, but a grave blunder. In the post-Vedic period, the Linga became symbolical of the generative power of Lord Siva. Linga is the differentiating mark. It is certainly not the sex mark. You will find in the Linga Purana:

Pradhanam Prakritim Tatcha Yadahur-lingamuttamam
    Gandhavarnarasairhinam Sabda-sparsadi-varjitam.

The foremost Linga which is primary and is devoid of smell, colour, taste, hearing, touch, etc., is spoken of as Prakriti (Nature).

Linga
    means a mark, in Sanskrit. It is a symbol which points to an inference. When you see a big flood in a river, you infer that there had been heavy rains the previous day. When you see smoke, you infer that there is fire. This vast world of countless forms is a Linga of the omnipotent Lord. The Siva-Linga is a symbol of Lord Siva. When you look at the Linga, your mind is at once elevated and you begin to think of the Lord.

Lord Siva is really formless. He has no form of His own; and yet, all forms are His forms. All forms are pervaded by Lord Siva. Every form is the form or Linga of Lord Siva.

A Powerful Aid To Concentration

There is a mysterious power or indescribable Shakti in the Linga to induce concentration of the mind. Just as the mind is focused easily in crystal gazing, so also the mind attains one-pointedness when it looks at the Linga. That is the reason why the ancient Rishis of India and the seers have prescribed Linga for being installed in the temples of Lord Siva.

Linga Represents The Formless Siva

Siva-Linga speaks to you in unmistakable language of silence: “I am one without a second. I am formless.” Pure, pious souls only can understand this language. A curious, passionate, impure foreigner of little understanding or intelligence says sarcastically: “Oh! The Hindus worship the phallus or sex-organ. They are ignorant people. They have no philosophy.” When a foreigner tries to learn the Tamil or Hindi language, he first tries to pick up some vulgar words. This is his curiosity-nature. Even so, the curious foreigner tries to find out some defect in the worship of symbols. Linga is only the outward symbol of the formless being, Lord Siva, who is the indivisible, all-pervading, eternal, auspicious, ever-pure, immortal essence of this vast universe, who is the undying soul seated in the chambers of your heart, who is your Indweller, innermost Self or Atman and who is identical with the Supreme Brahman.

Sphatikalinga—A Symbol Of The Nirguna Brahman

Sphatikalinga is also a symbol of Lord Siva. This is prescribed for Aradhana or worship of Lord Siva. It is made up of quartz. It has no colour of its own, but takes on the colour of the substances which come in contact with it. It represents the Nirguna Brahman or the attribute-less Supreme Self, or the formless and attributeless Siva.

The Mystic Shakti In The Block Of Stone

For a sincere devotee, the Linga is not a block of stone. It is all radiant Tejas (energy) or Chaitanya (consciousness). The Linga talks to him, makes him shed profuse tears, produces horripilation and melting of heart, raises him above body-consciousness, and helps to commune with the Lord and attain Nirvikalpa Samadhi. Lord Rama worshipped the Siva-Linga at Ramesvar. Ravana, a learned scholar, worshipped the golden Linga. What a lot of mystic Shakti there should be in the Linga!

May you all attain the formless Siva through the worship of the Linga, the symbol of Lord Siva which helps concentration of mind and which serves as a prop for the mind to lean upon, in the beginning, for the neophytes.

Source: http://www.dlshq.org/download/hinduismbk.htm

OM Namah Shivaya.

Mountains as svayambhu (self-made) Shiva Lingams

Shiva Lingams are not always made/sculpted. There are many naturally occurring Shiva Lingams found in nature, including the Banalingams found in the Narmada River. Of interest are the two sacred mountains considered to be naturally occuring or self-made Shiva Lingams.

Mount Kailash (Kailasa) in Tibet

Lord of Kailasa, Dweller of the Mountains,
    Ruler of all realities, Destoyer of all illusions,
    The world in which I live is a world of reflections,
    Where Truth is hidden in a smoke-filled cave,
    Where life rests in the lap of falsehood and desires.
    In this chaotic world of shadows and spinning dreams,
    Guide me, O Lord, towards Light and Immortality.

AND

Mount Arunachalam (Annamalai) in Tamilnadu

Getting rid of the “I am the body” idea
    And merging the mind into the heart
    To realise the Self as non-dual Being and Light of all,
    This is the real significance of darsana
    (vision)
    Of the beacon of Light of Annamalai, the Centre of the universe.

~Translation of a Tamil verse by Sri Ramana Maharshi.

OM Namah Shivaya.

Thread Information