Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why is daily sadhana important?

Re: Why is daily sadhana important?

Namaste,

I think daily sadhana is a must for anybody who is looking to make progress spiritually. I like what Eastern Mind said about brushing our teeth and bathing; I thought that was a good analogy for this particular subject. We practice daily sadhana to replenish our spiritual health and remain pure, just like we practice maintaining daily hygiene to keep us clean. However, it goes even further than this. Yoga is not something that is simply practiced for thirty minutes each morning; yoga is a lifestyle. We should take our practice into every area of our life. Whether it be work, school, social activities, daily chores, family relations, etc., our practice should always be with us. In this way, all our activities become a form of meditation and therefore all our activities become purified. In this way, we transcend the mundane life and enter into a life full of meaning and purpose.

The Bhagavata Purana candidly states:
    "Anyone whose work is not meant to elevate him to religious life, anyone whose religious ritualistic performances do not raise him to renunciation, and anyone situated in renunciation that does not lead him to devotional service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, must be considered dead, although he is breathing."

-SB 3.23.56

May all our activities become a form of service unto the Supreme.

Hari Om Tat Sat

Love and Light,
    LightofOm
    ॐ मृत्युंजयाय रुद्राय नीलकण्ठाय शम्भवे l
    अमृतेशाय शर्वाय महादेवाय ते नम: ll

Sanātana Dharma Worldwide

Great advice, Yajvan ji and Saswathy ji. Thank you.

I had forgotten all about continuous nama japa (because I am not doing it ). Various saints and modern day upanyasakas have stressed the importance of continuous nama japa enough. It is said nama japa is the only way to quick emancipation in kali-yuga. Thanks for reminding about it.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Viraja ji,

I was pondering upon the questions and upon the views shared.

I think your post has two questions...

1) The distance felt by Sadhak between his Istha Devata and himself, is temporary, if that particular Devata was his true Istha Devata.

We meet many in our life time, among them few become very close, after a while even if we loose contacts and maintain no connection at all for the few decades, will be able to experience the same level attachment when we meet again accidentally. Likewise bonding between Istha Devata and the devotee doesn't need any kind of daily Sadhana. Its like Thoppul Kodi Uravu ( Umbilical cord) .

2) Sadhana is vital to lead a harmonious life and also for our own spritual progress. Roughly its like a LIC policy to fall back in this dangerous unpredictable Samsara (wordly life). Uncertainty is like the CHANGE that doesn't Change. Mode of payment of your premium amount decides your ability to face uncertainty .

If you had opted "daily" mode to pay your premium, time spent to earn that money will be less. You wont even feel that you made any effort.

In the Daily Sadhana mode of payment, you won't burdened with a guilty feeling that your quarterly or yearly due is round the corner and you haven't saved enough.

In the daily mode, even if you lost the ability to pay your premium, you won't be burdened when you start it again. I mean the due will be less.

Time needed for the Sadhana also depends on the type LIC policy.

I have considered only one life period in the entire discussion. A talk on multiple births and accrued Karma is a complicate subject. We don't have the complete information on the accrued Karma.

I realized that Vedic Astrology is one study that "can" help us to evaluate the accrued Karma because the Jivatma selects the womb and there by the environment for its rest of life.

Now one may find #1) and #2) are contradicting. Whether we do Sadhana or not, someday after millions of birth our destination is the same lotus feet of Sreeman Naaraayan.
    Anirudh...

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

As one develops over time, even daily sādhana will not serve ones purpose ; now the practice takes on greater import and attraction, so continuous practice becomes the means.

...yajvan, interesting words, but from where do they come ?

We find this in the śiva sutra-s, 2nd chapter considered śāktopāya; it simply says this:

prayatnaḥ sādhakaḥ || 2.2

• prayatna =continued exertion; with great care; diligently , carefully
    • sādhaka = an adept; adapted to a purpose; in this case the purpose is sādhana or that which leads straight to the goal.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Pranams,

Sadhana is such a wonderful thing, for me the best translation to keep it simple is "practice". We can either practice conciously towards a goal, or practice unconciously and be pulled and swept about by maya. Good sadhana espcially at the start is a little bit like swimming up stream or against the current, but the further one goes against the stream the muscles build stronger and the swimming becomes easier. There are so many sadhanas, the sadhana of eating, sleeping, different sadhanas for meditation practice, for arati, worship, sadhana for body yoga, sadhana of yama and niyama, once sadhana is fully understood it becomes a flexible system to every aspect of life, a practicing of development to reach the spontaneous stage using all of our human ability in the right way.

Even within the goals and aspirations of non spiritual sadhanas, like great sports hero's, martial art experts, top scientists, politicians and musicians all done specific sadhana to get to their goals, all by some hard work and many hours of practice

I found this web page yesterday about Nishkam Karma, what was interesting to me is that even such a high level of yoga can be practiced in the normal material society within business and normal daily life. In fact material life is only mundane based on how we see it and what is our action and developed practice in this world and human life. Sadhana is within all of life, and the better our practice the more benefit and closer to the spontaneous state we will be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishkam_Karma

Ys

Md

Namaste all,

I know daily sadhana is very important. Yet I find it exceptionally difficult to do for reasons I can't fathom. I can practice daily sadhana for a few days at a time at best. Then I always slip up.

It's like there's this mental block that throws up mental obstacles for doing sadhana. I might feel too tired, or it might seem like a chore that day, or I'm doing something that makes me forget, or whatever. I'm not sure how to overcome it.

I'm not trying to derail the thread, but I really could use some advice on how to get my mind to actually get this sadhana done. I know the simplest answer is just do it, but if it were that easy I'd be doing it!

Pranams Webimpulse

Sadhana is never easy and depends on tapa or some sort of voluntary acceptance of discomfort, like rising early in the morning and doing some disciplined practice. Its also important to understand what is the purpose of sadhana, its a discipline that eventually leads to spontaneity, so we need some patience

To keep doing the same type of practice everyday is very tough and requires some training and persistence with an attitude of determination. But it is wise never to be to hard on yourself, spiritual life and the practice of sadhana is not our enemy, if at first we do not succeed try try again, and on each trying the results gained from previous sadhana stays with us and we grow all the time, this is also backed up i n Gita where krsna says what advancements are made in yoga are never lost, even if one temporarily fails from the path of yoga. Sadahana is all auspicious and a blessing to the human form, so there is no such thing as failure.

There will be many types of advise, one that has helped me is to be in an environment where others are practicing, the group energy can help the individual get regulated in his sadhana. That is one way. Another way is to constantly associate with spiritual and dharmic subjects, read, listen and generally keep as much time as possible with some focus on the spiritual practice that inspires you, at some point you will want to increase the sadhana because you will understand the benefits of it and will be spurred on and able to handle the early problems of being regulated in sadhana.

Another good tip is the practice of reflecting our conscious awareness. How do we feel after we have done some sadhana and how do we feel when we have no sadhana, do we feel better by doing certain practice, wake up early, do some arti, some japa, some study, some meditation and some asana, and how do we feel if we wake up late, rush in the morning, drink lots of coffee and generally go through the day like a bull in a china shop. So we can reflect if sadhana gives us benefit and if a life of no sadhana or lack of present awareness in life gives us any fruit and happiness.

In Gita Krsna urges Arjuna to not give up, we can fail and have questions and feel exhausted, Arjuna also had his problems and wanted to give up but he was advised with the Love shown for him by Krsna to give up avidya ignorance and be strong and just carry on with knowledge and determination and everything will be good.

I hope this helps

Ys

Md

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste all,

I know daily sadhana is very important. Yet I find it exceptionally difficult to do for reasons I can't fathom. I can practice daily sadhana for a few days at a time at best. Then I always slip up.

It's like there's this mental block that throws up mental obstacles for doing sadhana. I might feel too tired, or it might seem like a chore that day, or I'm doing something that makes me forget, or whatever. I'm not sure how to overcome it.

I'm not trying to derail the thread, but I really could use some advice on how to get my mind to actually get this sadhana done. I know the simplest answer is just do it, but if it were that easy I'd be doing it!
    Dear Web,

MD has given you good advice.

I would just like to ask you, how about doing sadhana for just 20 min a day? And doing your favorite activity -- for example, if you find chanting boring, you might try doing Abhishekam and this might make it seem more appealing to you? Even just 20 min a day, like exercise, builds up -- it is 1 hr 20 min a week!

Cheers,

Viraja

Namasthe!

A more important and valid question is "For whom is Sadhana important".

A person is running away from a shadow , taking it to be a ghost!
    A bypasser saw it and said "Friend, its only a shadow".
    if he sees it there and then, no sadhana is needed.

if he cannot see it, he says "but when i go near, it seems to open its mouth " [the shadow of a tree] ... then the friendly adviser would say "Dont worry, take this stick ... go near it ... see if it will gobble you" .... this process of holding a stick and going near the shadow ... why is it needed ?

For whom is it needed ?

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Quote Originally Posted by silence_speaks View Post
    Namasthe!

A more important and valid question is "For whom is Sadhana important".

A person is running away from a shadow , taking it to be a ghost!
    A bypasser saw it and said "Friend, its only a shadow".
    if he sees it there and then, no sadhana is needed.

if he cannot see it, he says "but when i go near, it seems to open its mouth " [the shadow of a tree] ... then the friendly adviser would say "Dont worry, take this stick ... go near it ... see if it will gobble you" .... this process of holding a stick and going near the shadow ... why is it needed ?

For whom is it needed ?

Love!
    Silence
    Dear Silence,

I don't understand the above. With me, you have to talk like talking to a little child to make things understood... may I ask you to simplify the philosophical teaching in your message?

Thread Information