Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Janmashtami

Janmashtami

How can I celebrate this Holiday? My Resources are a bit low.. What are some things I can do on Janmashtami? Is there Gifts like in Christmas? Do I decorate my home for it??

Re: Janmashtami

Namaskar,
    Keep it simple is the main theme in Hinduism. Observer a fast if you can and do simple puja of Lord Vishnu. That's it.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    How can I celebrate this Holiday? My Resources are a bit low.. What are some things I can do on Janmashtami? Is there Gifts like in Christmas? Do I decorate my home for it??
    About 3 years ago, I was discussing the difference between Christmas and Janmastami with my younger brother. He is a staunch fundamentalist Christian and has 7 children. I told him, "in Janmastami everyone buys Krishna one thing". He somehow liked that idea.

You might try to connect with members of the Indian community in your area. You might even get invited to a celebration at someone's home. It's not always that the congregation meets at temples.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

क्लीं (klīṃ) - kṛṣṇa's bija sound.

namasté

if one offers me with devotion a leaf, a flower , fruit or water
    I will accept it... kṛṣṇa , bhāgavad gītā (9.26)

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Tirisilex,

You can certainly offer gifts to Lord Krishna. I've never heard of decorating your home, but I guess it would be nice to decorate it with pictures of Lord Krishna. A fast would also be nice, as well as a puja. You can also go to the temple and take part in what they're doing. The point is it can be as simple or elaborate as you want. The main thing is to do it all with bhakti and sincere devotion to Lord Krishna.

Jai Sri Krishna

The Nearest Temple is 2 Hours away from me.. and I am terrified of driving on the Highway.

Namaste Tirisilex,

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    The Nearest Temple is 2 Hours away from me.. and I am terrified of driving on the Highway.
    That's alright. Do you have a shrine or altar at your residence? You can just pray and do puja there. Some people place more emphasis on going to the temple than others. But if you're unable to go to a temple, then praying at home at your own shrine or altar is fine.

Jai Sri Krishna

Namaste,
    In my tradition we fast, do extra chanting and devotional activities like reading scriptures etc ..

You could do that at home , along with a puja as someone has suggested, and spend the rest of the day reading and praying etc

Also - does your temple have a webcam? you could see if its possible to watch celebrations on line - as many temples show them.

Also - why not explain your position about driving on the highway to some people at the temple ?

Im sure there would be people who would be more than happy to help you get there or to give you a place to say thats nearer for the night.

In my temple its considered an honor to be able to offer a devotee a place to stay for the night so they can attend celebrations or to help them get to the temple if you live far...

In the past Ive slept on floors and sofas and even on a restuarant floor- its not five star but its a great way to make new friends and very worth the less than comfortable sleep !!!

Hope that helps
    Jagganatha Swami nayana patha gami bhavatu me !!

in this context i would like to tell you the story of krishna !!

once when krishna was ruling the kingdom one of the 8 main wives of Krishna
    "satyabhama" ji , due some reason made a bet to weight lord krishna..

on a physical balance krishna was sat on one side and satyabhama put his jewllery , and may other things as clothes, food,wheat and tons of things...
    she was to donate the equivalent material in charity to poor..

but to exclamation the whole wealth of satyabhama coming to end but yet krishna was not being lifted ..
    satyabhama was very confused how this could be so that lord was so heavy !!
    then another wife Rukmani who was a perfect devotee of lord takes His name in her conscience and places a tulsi leaf on top of all the things kept by satyabhama... to wonder the balance gets lifted and Krishna is weighed by a tulsi leaf which was kept with pure devotion....

To summarize,

1. spruce up your home alter.
    2. observe a 24-hour fast, ending at the midnight of His appearance, wear fresh clean clothes, do extra chanting and devotional activities like reading scriptures etc.
    3. as far as offerings to Krishna, this is what pleases Him..

if one offers me with devotion a leaf, a flower , fruit or water
    I will accept it... kṛṣṇa , bhāgavad gītā (9.26)

4. Visit to the temple is to have the spiritual association of other devotees and to deepen your love for Krishna. If a two way ride is available, by all means, go to the temple. If the temple trip is not possible, practicing extra devotion at home would be just fine. Connecting with Indian Hindu families in the area might be beneficial.

5. The best present you can offer the Lord is your devotion, bhakti. So, spend your emotional/physical energy in His service and not in getting stressed out about things that are not easily do-able. You don't need to spend even an extra dime to celebrate Janamashtami.
    Last edited by Believer; 22 August 2010 at 07:43 PM.

Thread Information