Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you think what is bhakti (Devotion) ?

Re: What do you think what is bhakti (Devotion) ?

Vannakkam jaswant: Although this may be true with people in reality, it is not the intention of true bhakti. True bhakti is love for love's sake, not expecting anything in return ... not even the punya, which will come on its own. One step towards God, and God takes nine to you.

Agreed. Loving God for the intent of merit is in itself insufficient, and is short of true bhakti. However, I am not saying it is an invalid method of growing in love for Him. Over time, the devotee should pray ardently in his heart that eventually his desire for escape from the wheel of death and rebirth should be transformed into absolute bhakti for God, no matter what his fate in the next life or the next after that.

I have no intent to change the topic of this post, but I reminded of the Christian Bible group posters and flyers I see all over town. Almost all of them either promise eternal hellfire and damnation if you don't "see the light", or else have this attitude of: Wanna get into heaven after you die? It's easy! Just start praying to our God and you're in! In my opinion, this is an example of false bhakti of the worst kind, where the soul is only interested in its survival after death and is motivated to turn to religion to save itself, not out of a real, genuine love for God. In this case true bhakti separates true spiritual seekers and religious survivalists.

I have a friend who is atheist... but what a nice person... no dulpcity always helping ect ect all nice qulities -- but will not touch any religion with a 10 foot pole !... he is just illusioned.. or maybe i am illusioned !.. he says religion just devides man and causes more disharmony than anything else ! ... looking into history he has a valid point !...

Namaste Jaswant,

Here is where the concept of bhakti should begin to expand for us. I have a friend who is the same; has no religion and completely distrusts any part of it, but is an all round good person at heart. An atheist still gathers punya when he does good works, helps others, foregoes harming living beings etc. He may not accept the concept of a God, but when he treats all those around him with the love and respect a theist shows, then implicitly I believe him to be showing a kind of bhakti. Is God not present in every living being? In showing love to even just the manifest aspects of God, you are still honouring Him. As for religion dividing mankind up, I think that's for another topic.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Quote Originally Posted by saral View Post
    Namste Jasdir ji,

Yes I am getting what you said about the PUNYA Karma of previous life but my question was how you gain that punya without the help of the following ways “described by the Eastern Mind ji”

-doing japa
    - home puja
    - pilgrimage
    - temples
    - sitting in quiet reflection of the almighty
    - walking with only god in mind.

I mean lets forget about the your previous lives and start a totally new life you neither have any punya or paap . Now I want to do bhakti and want to know god without help of scripture, holy books and every known method. This is the main question which keeps coming in mind from the beginning of the topic and this I want to clear from you. I hope my point or question is clear to you now.

Saadar

Saral
    Vanakkam Saral: I don't understand. Do you want money without working? A job without applying for one?

In my observations of people, bhakti is either naturally there or it isn't. I presume that has to do with that individual soul's experience, either in this life, or in others.

Aum Namasivaya

"Vanakkam Saral: I don't understand. Do you want money without working? A job without applying for one?

In my observations of people, bhakti is either naturally there or it isn't. I presume that has to do with that individual soul's experience, either in this life, or in others"

Namste EM Ji,

Yes, something like that EM ji. If you think sprituality is working in the same order like wordly things works then offcourse I want the money without working.
    but as far as I read or understand the sprituality I can say that spiritual order is totaly diffrent from the wordly order. for example sun, he didnt spare someone just beacuse of his poor knowladge, something is living thing or non living thing he equaly shine over all. and i think god is the same immater how poor my knowledge us,how weak my path is but id I desire him he has to come to me.

I think what i want to know jasdir ji can undersatnd easily. I think I cant explain thing very well coz i dont have good command over language so please try to understand what exactly i want to know

Saadar
    Saral

Vannakkam Saral: I think the sun is an excellent analogy (comparison) for God's energy. The sun, when its daytime and there are no clouds, is all pervasive (shines in all places). However, we all have to step outside in order to receive this sunlight. In other words, we have to do something. So I see God like that. God does not just go and do it all for you. You have to do something yourself, and whatever that is could be called bhakti.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by saral View Post
    I mean lets forget about the your previous lives and start a totally new life you neither have any punya or paap . Now I want to do bhakti and want to know god without help of scripture, holy books and every known method. This is the main question which keeps coming in mind from the beginning of the topic and this I want to clear from you. I hope my point or question is clear to you now.
    Saral, the answer is hided in the question itself, ie: why to do "Bhakti" ? why everybody on this earth doesn't have such desire ? or we can say why everbody doesn't step on this path of "Bhakti" ?

For example: Why we all like to chat on only devotional forums, or HDF ? why not any other sexual chatting forum or etc etc ...

Why the people who like to chat on sexual discuission forums doesn't like to chat on devotional forums or HDF.. ? or why such forums are like boring chapters for them ?

Saral, all this is the result of past karmas.

If one has the desire of doing "Bhakti" even god discussions and all that, than all it is because of his/her past karmas.

I hope you can understand me.

_/\_ Jasdir.
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

" In other words, we have to do something. So I see God like that. God does not just go and do it all for you. You have to do something yourself, and whatever that is could be called bhakti"

Thank you Em ji, I think this is what I want to hear from you.

“ the answer is hided in the question itself, ie: why to do "Bhakti" ?”

Thank you Jasdir ji, I think I can search my answer now.

Saadar

Saral

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Saral: I think the sun is an excellent analogy (comparison) for God's energy. The sun, when its daytime and there are no clouds, is all pervasive (shines in all places). However, we all have to step outside in order to receive this sunlight. In other words, we have to do something. So I see God like that. God does not just go and do it all for you. You have to do something yourself, and whatever that is could be called bhakti.

Aum Namasivaya
    So we're in the deepest of caves and lamenting "Why oh why, doesn't the light shine on me?"

Pranam all, i disagree with the view that in path of devotion,we do bhakti without being paid

because here also we get remuneration ,but in different form.like bliss,happiness,the peace,the emotions etc. still advanced state one gets different divine vision,other divine experiences which are far far higher experience that any worldly gain.

These are essential to grow ahead in spiritual path. and beloved God knowingly gives this intermittently to increase the faith,and love of the devotee.sometime you will get such experience,then suddenly it will not come.that time devotee becomes desperate and try to get that experience regular.slowly higher and higher experience comes this way.so these GIFTS are form of encouragement to move ahead in initial path.
    without these,one gets dissapointed,loose faith and fall from the path.

But yes in the highest devotion...Raganuga bhakti,a stage reaches where the bhakti becomes KEBALA(without any reason) or PARABHAKTI.here the actual test of bhakti starts. the more devoted one is.more test comes in his path.so no gain,only pain

Gopi bhava is not a smaller thing,it needs lions heart and totally putting one into fire. nobody can reach there without that tragic worldly tests.but these tests are to purify us,to take us to next level.
    Last edited by anirvan; 29 March 2011 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasdir View Post
    Away from all rites and ritules, or bookish knowledge, or the knowledge that you have gained from others, or your parents, or your religion etc... anywhere,

Honestly, Only just using your Heart,

What do you think what is bhakti (Devotion) ?

_/\_Jasdir.
    look on the conversation pl
    http://www.aryasamaj.org/newsite/node/1463#comment-1954

Smile Re: What do you think what is bhakti (Devotion) ?

Quote Originally Posted by kd gupta View Post

Namaste KD Gupta !!

I cannot quote any verses from the VEDAS OR UPANISHAADS that says one should have MURTIs in templse ect ect...... BUT What has that got to do with BHAKTI which we are discussing on this thread ?

So , what is your PERSONAL definition of Bhakti.... What is your personal take on devotion ...
    j

Thread Information