Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topics

Topics

namaste all,
    HDF has been busy with activity lately. Thank you all for making this happen.

I have been thinking of an idea for a while now and want to get your input.

What do you guys think of having a dedicated topic of discussion every month?

I want to start a list of topics that we can/should discuss and out of this list we pick one topic to talk about for a whole month. This topic then becomes sort of like a 'theme of the month' for HDF discussions. The topic could be anything from a tradition to a practice to a word in sanskrit.

The idea is that we use this theme to collect our energy and learn about that topic for the whole month. We can still continue with our adhoc discussions on other topics.

I would also like to encourage members to volunteer each month to get the discussion started. So essentially, we would have a volunteer member research the topic assigned to them and present it to the rest of the members of HDF.

I have some topics on my list already. I encourage you to submit your own ideas and name of the topic that you would like to research and present to the rest of the members. You can submit new topics by posting to this thread or by emailing me or via PM.

What do you guys think?

How about we start this 'theme of the month' with the new calendar year?

Looking forward to your feedback on this.
    satay

Re: Topics

How about we start the new year with the topic of 'maya'?
    satay

Thumbs Up Re: Topics

I think featured theme of the month is a great idea, Satay. My mind is drawing a blank right now in terms of topics, but I'll think about it.

Namaste Satay,

It is a good idea to have dedicated monthly topics sponsored by a member, for intense, coordinated discussions. We already have the topic maya, initiated by Sri yajvan, discussed to a considerable extent in this thread:

Hindu Dharma Forums > Sanatana Dharma > Philosophy > "Maya - the infinite measured out"

We may well take up this topic for further discussion for January 2007. And I think as the sponsor for the topic, Sri yajvan may coordinate by directing the discussions and enumerating the points discussed in a summery post that he may edit as and when a point is to be added. This summery post could serve as a quick reference for the details discussed.

The next topic could be 'karma'. You may perhaps publish a list of topics in a thread of its own which might be added to and finalized by a discussion, perhaps by removing certain topics by a majority consensus, if they are decided to be vague or sensitive to warrant a discussion. In general, a topic could be a specific concept that has repercussions on a person's spiritual life. We may perhaps avoid political and secular topics.

Nice idea, looking forward to learning from the discussions.

Re: List of Topics

Maya
    Dharma
    Bhakti
    Murthi/Symbol Worship
    Varna/Caste System
    Concept/Importance of Guru
    Tapas
    How a Grishtha can realize God?
    Gunas
    Gita
    Vedas/Upanishads - an introduction
    Indian traditions that are clearly not part of scripture
    Samadhi
    satay

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Maya
    Dharma
    Bhakti
    Murthi/Symbol Worship
    Varna/Caste System
    Concept/Importance of Guru
    Tapas
    How a Grishtha can realize God?
    Gunas
    Gita
    Vedas/Upanishads - an introduction
    Indian traditions that are clearly not part of scripture
    Samadhi
    Namaste Satya (et.al)
    I am in favor of this approach. I also would recommend to the forum's most honored members that some guidelines be considered. Here's a few notions for consideration:
    • Discussions ( vada) to bring out the truth the best we can with the knowledge that is at hand.
    • Minimize/eliminate polemics (jalpa) where discussions turn into desires for winning an argument i..e my way is better then your way. My teacher has always said ' We are born to bless, this we should never forget'.
      Bhagavan says (BG 3.32) ...those that find fault and do not follow my teaching, know them to deluted about knowledge, doomed and senseless.
      The point here is no fault finding. - When a person finds fault in others, he/she partakes in their errors.
    • Apply resaoning (tarka) to the discussions where we limit 'frozen thinking'. The notion of improved thinking , new ideas, that moves ones consciousness closer to Kaivalya.
    • Not to worry when someone has doubts (samshaya) - as this starts the introspection of beliefs.
    • Consider drawing conclusions (nirnaya) the best we can and test them with the group.
    Perhaps none of the points above where really necessary to call out, and are inherent in one's thinking today. Let it be so.
    Let me know if you believe this ( with your suggested edits or ideas) approach passes your common sense test.
    pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste Satya (et.al)
    I am in favor of this approach. I also would recommend to the forum's most honored members that some guidelines be considered. Here's a few notions for consideration:
    • Discussions ( vada) to bring out the truth the best we can with the knowledge that is at hand.
    • Minimize/eliminate polemics (jalpa) where discussions turn into desires for winning an argument i..e my way is better then your way. My teacher has always said ' We are born to bless, this we should never forget'.
      Bhagavan says (BG 3.32) ...those that find fault and do not follow my teaching, know them to deluted about knowledge, doomed and senseless.
      The point here is no fault finding. - When a person finds fault in others, he/she partakes in their errors.
    • Apply resaoning (tarka) to the discussions where we limit 'frozen thinking'. The notion of improved thinking , new ideas, that moves ones consciousness closer to Kaivalya.
    • Not to worry when someone has doubts (samshaya) - as this starts the introspection of beliefs.
    • Consider drawing conclusions (nirnaya) the best we can and test them with the group.
    Perhaps none of the points above where really necessary to call out, and are inherent in one's thinking today. Let it be so.
    Let me know if you believe this ( with your suggested edits or ideas) approach passes your common sense test.
    pranams,

Yes, I agree with the guidelines presented by you.

I would also like to include the basic guidelines on researching the topic. It would be best if we research the topic as best as possible and from as many sources as possible. When it comes to researching the topic, I personally would prefer actual books as sources instead of just searching the topic on the internet, though internet should also be utilized to the fullest.
    satay

I would be interested in a discussion on artistic representation of Godz. Why, for example, are some depicted in green, blue or black (or is that just on account of what they look like?) ... and is there a pattern to the symbolism of mudras represented ... and what is the association of poses with classic forms of dance... and so forth.

Any takers?

Namaste,
    ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    I would be interested in a discussion on artistic representation of Godz. Why, for example, are some depicted in green, blue or black (or is that just on account of what they look like?) ... and is there a pattern to the symbolism of mudras represented ... and what is the association of poses with classic forms of dance... and so forth.
    Any takers?
    oh yeah, great topic ZN ... iconography and symbolism. I definitely think that would be interesting.

Life, Universe and Everything !!

... or perhaves on the lines of limitations of analytical philosophy and science, problem of self-reference etc...I think we already have a thread on that...

Thread Information