Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Hindu Jesus?

Re: The Hindu Jesus?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    [...]There is a separate legend which suggests that Jesus himself travelled to India before his Galilean ministry. I've done some research into this. The claim was made by a man named Nikolai Notovitch, in the late nineteenth century. His claims are highly dubious. He says he visited some Buddhist monks in India, and copied/translated one of their scrolls describing the visit of "Saint Issa" to India in the first century. However, contemporaries of Notovitch visited the same monks, and they did not confirm his story. It's probably a pure fiction.[...]
    That is interesting. Has the theory been brought up that Yeshua (Jesus) visited India after his 'resurrection?' I have read some theories.

[...]It's not that Jesus isn't a valuable spiritual teacher. But I think his teachings only make sense in a Western context.[...]
    Western Asia, that is: one really must study Hebrew/Aramaic to understand his figurative language. Judeo-Christian mysticism may have more similarities to East Asian philosophy than Western philosophy (though the Essenes trained some Westerners and studied later ones) and ancient European religions. Of course European religious mythology has more similarities to that of India. Overall Yeshua is an Eastern Master despite that most of his followers are further West. Theosophy or its offshoots had ideas that there is/was an Eastern fellowship of spiritual Masters from the Far to Near East (India & China to Egypt--though Egypt is West of Asia,) but who knows... maybe there was just some cultural contact.

"I have a question for you HK, how do you find so much information? I'm just curious."
    "Yes, I am also curious about this. You ask a question and you get a colour coded encyclopedia (is that how you spell it?)! "
    My mind is overheated with rajo gunas and my fingers are in everybody's pies. In one more week I'm visiting my Guru who may put a stop to the drama, so until then I'm posting like no tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lailaphetes View Post
    If you want to, you can read my first thread in the Introductions part of the forum. I'd rather not throw another personal introduction into a thread which, really won't contribute anything. And on top of that, I don't feel like typing out a long essay discussing whether I am Hindu or not(let alone who can be "Hindu").

But if that's not good enough, I am stuck in a transition stage so to speak. I am a Roman Catholic(returning to the church as of a few months ago) that has, oddly, been learning about Hinduism for at least 2 years. I am strongly drawn to the Vaisnava(Sri Krsna) sect, but I'm not sure if I consider myself RC or Vaisnava, or even both.
    I've read your introduction thread; you are indeed in an interesting position here. The question of whether non-Indians can convert to Hinduism is an issue that I honestly don't understand myself. But as for your interest in Hinduism, I'm glad to hear that you're interested in learning more about the Dharmic way of life. I don't think any Hindu would ever have a problem with incorporating the teachings of Jesus into your life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    TWestern Asia, that is: one really must study Hebrew/Aramaic to understand his figurative language. Judeo-Christian mysticism may have more similarities to East Asian philosophy than Western philosophy (though the Essenes trained some Westerners and studied later ones) and ancient European religions. Of course European religious mythology has more similarities to that of India. Overall Yeshua is an Eastern Master despite that most of his followers are further West. Theosophy or its offshoots had ideas that there is/was an Eastern fellowship of spiritual Masters from the Far to Near East (India & China to Egypt--though Egypt is West of Asia,) but who knows... maybe there was just some cultural contact.
    I've read a bit about Judaism. I suppose I can see some similarities between the first century Jewish mystics and Hinduism. Of course, even the mystics (as per my understanding) placed a pretty stron emphasis on God's wrath and vengeance on Gentiles. Not sure that this is compatible with Hindu beliefs, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the Jewish mystics.

Of course, I am aware that Judaism is a very different religion than Christianity, and doesn't have many of the bad traits that are found in the Christian religion. As you seem to be alluding, I would also say that Jesus' teachings have likely been significantly altered by his Christian followers.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    [...] I suppose I can see some similarities between the first century Jewish mystics and Hinduism.[...]
    Anytime anyone is curious about deep Kabbalah or Sufi equivalence to esoteric Dharma I am willing to point it out in the appropriate forum section.

[...]Of course, even the mystics (as per my understanding) placed a pretty strong emphasis on God's wrath and vengeance on Gentiles.[...]
    Which? Essenes/Nazareans/Therapeutae? Zealots? Pharisees or Sadducees?

Not sure that this is compatible with Hindu beliefs, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the Jewish mystics.

Of course, I am aware that Judaism is a very different religion than Christianity, and doesn't have many of the bad traits that are found in the Christian religion. As you seem to be alluding, I would also say that Jesus' teachings have likely been significantly altered by his Christian followers.
    Again, which 'Judaism' and 'Christianity?' Even if I was not directly alluding I am glad to have been suspected of it (I have stated/alluded in other threads.)

Another interesting thing is though there may have been two Yeshuas that the story is together based on, people have brought up the point he maybe did not exist as described and that he is based on Old Testament miracles and 'death-rebirth gods.' The idea of the latter type of gods is considered inaccurate lately. However, does India have any? Or, is incarnation - reincarnation - self-sacrifice - liberation understood so well that India did not even need any 'death-rebirth' god? Also do you think this influenced West Asia and Europe? It is in Greek mythology, which some people think mostly influenced the New Testament, but independently of that, some people also think Yeshua's story symbolizes an Eastern idea of the complete cycle of human spiritual development. Of course Dharma does not really need this specific story. The Sikh part of Sanatana Dharma already has the Golden Rule stated in a positive way: something like 'if you think of something for yourself, think of it for your brother.'

"Of course, even the mystics (as per my understanding) placed a pretty stron emphasis on God's wrath and vengeance on Gentiles. Not sure that this is compatible with Hindu beliefs, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the Jewish mystics."
    "Which? Essenes/Nazareans/Therapeutae? Zealots? Pharisees or Sadducees?"
    I think he is talking about the Jewish mystics in the Bible and not any particular sect. The problem with these scriptural descriptions of God literally punishing the world for it's idol worship and false gods and false prophets is of course realized in Christian history. Passages like these justified uncountable pogroms, crusades, wars and massacres. And yes, it's incompatible with Hindu belief to attack other religions because you think they're wrong or you disagree with them.
    38 Then the fire of the LORD fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood,
    the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench.

39 When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried,
    "The LORD -he is God! The LORD -he is God!"

40 Then Elijah commanded them, "Seize the prophets of Baal. Don't let anyone get away!"
    They seized them, and Elijah had them brought down to the Kishon Valley and slaughtered there.
    ~1 Kings chap 18 Bible
    1 This is the word the LORD spoke through Jeremiah the prophet concerning
    Babylon and the land of the Babylonians
    2 "Announce and proclaim among
    the nations, lift up a banner and proclaim it; keep nothing back, but say,
    'Babylon will be captured;
    Bel will be put to shame,
    Marduk filled with terror.
    Her images will be put to shame
    and her idols filled with terror.'

3 A nation from the north will attack her and lay waste her land.
    No one will live in it; both men and animals will flee away.

~Jeremiah Chap.50 Bible

sat sri akal,

Quote Originally Posted by Harjas Kaur View Post
    My mind is overheated with rajo gunas and my fingers are in everybody's pies. In one more week I'm visiting my Guru who may put a stop to the drama, so until then I'm posting like no tomorrow.
    To be honest, I hardly ever read your posts as I find them to be too long. You must consider the fact that most people have only a few minutes a day to spend on this type of forum. Most members I suppose spent much less time than even I do here. The logs show about 3 minutes per logged on session on average.

I think that short, to the point, on topic posts are more enjoyable (at least for me). Sometimes, people make short posts but they are off topic and these are pointless as well. So...

Thanks,
    satay

Yes, I'm stuck in book-writing mode. Perhaps this can be improved on, haha. <--my posts!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Which? Essenes/Nazareans/Therapeutae? Zealots? Pharisees or Sadducees?
    Well the Pharisees promulgated the hell doctrine, which is probably whyit appears in the New Testament. They also were expecting a messiah who would destroy all of the pagan Romas. But they weren't mystics by most standards. The Saducees did not believe in any sort of afterlife and largely were in league with the Romans (that's how they got control of their temple). I don't know too much about the Nazareans or anything at all about the Therapeutae, but I do know that the Essenes had expectations of a messiah who would rid the world of other religions and establish Jewish monotheism as the one true faith. So I don't know how their beliefs could be reconciled with Hinduism. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Harjas Kaur View Post
    I think he is talking about the Jewish mystics in the Bible and not any particular sect. The problem with these scriptural descriptions of God literally punishing the world for it's idol worship and false gods and false prophets is of course realized in Christian history. Passages like these justified uncountable pogroms, crusades, wars and massacres. And yes, it's incompatible with Hindu belief to attack other religions because you think they're wrong or you disagree with them.
    That's really the problem I'm running into here. Modern Jews (actually all Jews through the last two thousand years) have found funny ways to get around these passages, and Judaism today is a very peaceful religion. However, Christians have always had an overly literal lens through which they read the Bible. And as Harjas said, you can see the effects by looking at Christian history. Today, modern evangelicals have tempered their response to the Bible to some extent, and no longer run around burning dissenters. But they've used the same passages to support their political and social agendas, not to mention the missionary campaigns in India.

But we seem to be talking about Jewish mystics at the moment. My point is that many of the Jewish sects in the first century interpreted the Bible with the same literal lens as Christians have. Indeed, Christianity is heavily influenced by some of these sects. It seems to me that many forms of first century Judaism were rather militant. Hinduism, on the other hand, has always been peaceful. India has never invaded other countries, nor did we even expell our Muslim or Christian colonizers by force. Not trying to gain some moral high ground here. But I do think that Hinduism has some important spiritual elements that these Middle Eastern religions are missing.

Hinduism, on the other hand, has always been peaceful. India has never invaded other countries, nor did we even expell our Muslim or Christian colonizers by force. Not trying to gain some moral high ground here. But I do think that Hinduism has some important spiritual elements that these Middle Eastern religions are missing.
    Namaste Sanjaya.

The funny thing is I don't feel you are in any way setting up a moral plinth for Hinduism to somehow "rise" above other religions. The word religion does not even do justice to what it encompasses, anyway. I much prefer its proper term Sanatana Dharma, the Eternal Law, Truth and Way. What need for the title "religion", which in these days connote so many negative qualities in the Western world? I find that is the true beauty of Sanatana Dharma - because it is simply the universal truth, it is found in every religion, which explains its tolerance for other faiths.

A true Hindu recognises God's presence everywhere, even in the religions that insults or attacks his own beliefs. It recognises the unity that exists in diversity, and some of the scriptures even seem to revel in it as being an essential part of our existence (e.g., Shvetashvatara Upanishad)! It has a spiritual equanimity that allows it to recognise not just the eternal law, Dharma, but also Svadharma, the individual's own duty or personal way. The Bhagavad Gita even says in one of the early chapters "competition in another's dharma breeds fear and insecurity" (B.G. 3:35), and that it is far better for a person to discover his own personal way and to let that spiritual practice flourish than for him to tie himself to one that feels alien to him. Can you imagine that? The Gita is probably one of the truly unique holy scriptures in the world that it would actually tell its readers who are not Hindu "go your own path, and go with all your heart". Such beneficence and consideration for the welfare of people from different faiths! Few other spiritual teachings can show the same nobility of mind to know that there is One in Many, and not worry about what his Christian or Muslim neighbour is worshipping, and whether he is doing it properly!

The Western religions like Christianity and Islam seem to rely on having to persuade you to listen to them. But for a few, rare denominations, many of them have an "all or nothing" approach to their faith, in that their scriptures are unidirectional, rigid and infallible. The former two characteristics are more likely due to the original, ritualistic aspects of its creed, but the former creates a problem in that it assumes nothing else can be true, and it cannot be challenged. To challenge it is to be a heathen, an idolater, an infidel. These people cannot be tolerated by these religions, who seem bent on having their followers as unquestionably loyal to their God. Whereas questions, hesitations and qualms are all encouraged to be shared in the East, quest for knowledge is frowned upon in the West. This must be the reason Hinduism has survived for so many thousands of years and is still in practice today. I find it, along with other Eastern traditions like Buddhism and so on, have the capacity to endure not because they rely on an external force (missionaries and evangelists) to spread its message, but because it relies on an internal one (the individual). Eastern religions, to me, seem put the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of its followers. You have to make the discoveries yourself. You have to pursue the Truth. No one else will (or can) do it for you. It is your personal journey to God or discovering your Real Nature that can ultimately instil a far greater sense of devotion, fulfilment and joy in your heart.
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Thread Information