Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The incomparability of Hinduism

Re: The incomparability of Hinduism

I'm not sure I support your "bashing" of Advaita and Buddhism. The Oneness of nature and the fluid nature of the universe is what people(philosophers, sages, modern scientists) have pointed to since time immemorial.

It's not exclusively a Hindu, Buddhist, Daoist, Neoplatonist, Sufi, Gnostic, etc. concept because once one implies "ownership" over the philosophy that introduces a level of false duality in our minds.
    I will be honest, I have not read the opening post. But just to make something clear, similar terminology can be used in different traditions, but the meaning is not always similar. Non-duality in Buddhist philosophy and in Advaita Vedanta have different meanings. This article explains it nicely, it is written by someone who has formally studied vedanta first before converting to Buddhism. He was also the first non tibetan to get the title rimpoche. http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2009/02/madhyamika-buddhism-vis-vis-hindu.html
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 07 May 2011 at 08:41 AM.

I know on the outside the terms used are different and there are different dare I say "myths" surrounding the core philosophy of Advaita, Zen, and Taoism but the message of Oneness. Oneness with nature, oneness with the universe, and the oneness of consciousness are rec curing themes in these philosophical systems. One can spend all day arguing the differences or one can revel in a lifetime of similarities present in each school of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    I know on the outside the terms used are different and there are different dare I say "myths" surrounding the core philosophy of Advaita, Zen, and Taoism but the message of Oneness. Oneness with nature, oneness with the universe, and the oneness of consciousness are rec curing themes in these philosophical systems. One can spend all day arguing the differences or one can revel in a lifetime of similarities present in each school of thought.
    This is an interesting subject, but I think it would require a deeper study to better understand similarities and differences. Acharyas like Shankara and Gaudapada have clearly stated that what they teach is not Buddhism, while other acharyas have made fun of them saying that they were crypto-Buddhists. The article I have posted above is just one point of view for further investigation from a learned scholar in both vedanta and Madhyamika Buddhism (with obviously a clear bias towards Buddhism). If the traditions themselves have understood their ideas to be different from each other, it would be arrogant of us to assume they were just talking about the same thing with different words, without further investigation in these matters.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 07 May 2011 at 10:04 PM.

What buddhism says: This world is an illusion. Ultimately everything is 'shoonya'(void)
    What vedanta says: This world is an illusion. Ultimately everything is 'one'(the inexplicable atma)

There is also a theory by some scholars that Gaudapada was influenced by nagarjuna, a mahayana buddhist. I don't buy this though. It is also possible that nagarjuna might have been influenced by Gaudapada. This vedantic teaching surely does not start from gaudapada. If one has to study vedanta, one would come to agree that any seeming resemblance or 'influence' is nothing but silly criticisms which are not worthy of explaining.

Does not the void exist only in relation to the one? Does not the one exist only in relation to the void?

The form(which we percieve) only exists in relation to non-existance. And the non-existance which we do not see, non-exists only in relation to existance. To put it simpler, the cup exists only in relation to the emptiness that it contains.

Zen Buddhists(in my opinion) saw this the most clearly.

Edit: I think you stated an oversimplification in when you said the "world is an illusion". I certainly don't see it as an illusion, I see the attempt at seperating objects into 'this' and 'that' an illusion that has no scientific, or philosophical backing. Hindu mystics such as Sri Ramanamarishi have said things along the lines of 'The world is only an illusion if you see it as separate entities' the same is with Zen thinkers, Daoist sages, and even a few Western mystics and teachers.

There is gross difference between vedanta and budhism in the simple fact that the very nature of absolute in buddhism is sunya/empty,qualitiless and meaning less dead state.
    Budhism taught how to achieve a state completely devoid of sorrow.given me a chance of nirvana,i will straightaway reject it(evident from my user name).

But Vedanta teaches that the state of absolute is not only completely devoid of sorrow,but as well filled with absolute bliss.
    Vedanta says that" the "I" inside me is present in everything in and out.everything pain,sorrows,happiness,bliss is off mine.he reached in that state after removing ignorance.

Ultimately the quality of mokhsa is different in both.Buddhism teaches to eat castor oil,vedanta teaches to eat Ghee.

jayaguru
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Quote Originally Posted by anirvan View Post
    There is gross difference between vedanta and budhism in the simple fact that the very nature of absolute in buddhism is sunya/empty,qualitiless and meaning less dead state.
    Budhism taught how to achieve a state completely devoid of sorrow.given me a chance of nirvana,i will straightaway reject it(evident from my user name).
    I agree with your assessment, only want to add that the word (brahma)nirvana was also used by Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita(5.26), but as mentioned earlier, words can have different meaning in different traditions. It is also used in many other Hindu works like the Bhagavatam, so maybe you want to change your username?
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 10 May 2011 at 02:49 AM.

Does not the void exist only in relation to the one? Does not the one exist only in relation to the void?
    No. what is void and what is 'the one' is the question. Void is simply ignorance. It has no existance. The one, as you call it, is pure existence- in relation to nothing.
    AHAM, which means A heyam- That which cannot be ignored-english I- is the one.

The form(which we percieve) only exists in relation to non-existance. And the non-existance which we do not see, non-exists only in relation to existance. To put it simpler, the cup exists only in relation to the emptiness that it contains.

Zen Buddhists(in my opinion) saw this the most clearly.

Edit: I think you stated an oversimplification in when you said the "world is an illusion". I certainly don't see it as an illusion, I see the attempt at seperating objects into 'this' and 'that' an illusion that has no scientific, or philosophical backing. Hindu mystics such as Sri Ramanamarishi have said things along the lines of 'The world is only an illusion if you see it as separate entities' the same is with Zen thinkers, Daoist sages, and even a few Western mystics and teachers.
    The subject-object thing. The mind is both seer and the seen. When the mind is withdrawn, there is no seer and seen. In deep sleep state, when the mind is withdrawn, there is no subject-object difference. This proves that the subect and obect, the seer and the seen is only in the mind, like a dream-illusion mate.

Very interesting and many thanks to you all for exploring the subject.

Having been exposed to Buddhism, Sankhya and Advaita Vedanta (in that order exactly) I find myself fumbling on parallels that aren't really there.

Existence cannot "exist" without non-existence both of which are inherent properties of reality. Just like you cannot have up without down, you cannot have sound without no-sound. The inseparability of the two are beyond comprehension of the mind, that's why many spiritual teachers teach that in order to realize the truth, one must stop trying to realize, because attempting to, in and of itself defeats the purpose.

Thread Information