Thread: Ganesh Bhajan with Mahamantra

Ganesh Bhajan with Mahamantra

Gretings,

i have many times hear Ganesh bhajan , in end of bhajan have sing a Mahamantra Hare Ram Hare Ram Ram Ram Hare Hare Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare.

in a view of Ganesh devotes, why devotes put mahamantra in end of Ganesh Bhajan ?

thank you
    i love Ganapati Bappa

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Re: Ganesh Bhajan with Mahamantra

Vannakkam Shian:

In all honesty, I have never heard of this. Maybe I don't get around very much. Either that or it is just common where you are.

Aum Namasivaya

not from here
    yes not all of Ganesh bajhan is have mahamantra in the end

i only know, the bhakta of Ganesh Bappa is believe all of Vishnu avatar is from Ganesh, so they make Ganesh statue who look like Krsna, Visnu, etc...

and i also know , ISKCON has respect to Ganesh, but off course not see Him as God.

i dont know the other theory

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |

Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post
    Gretings,

i have many times hear Ganesh bhajan , in end of bhajan have sing a Mahamantra Hare Ram Hare Ram Ram Ram Hare Hare Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare.

in a view of Ganesh devotes, why devotes put mahamantra in end of Ganesh Bhajan ?

thank you
    i love Ganapati Bappa
    Namaste Shian

What a cute GaNpati Bappa in that picture.

This could be a misunderstanding (of many people actually).
    My understanding is , that this is not ONE GaNesh Bhajan, but a series of Aaratis to several devas , starting with Shri GaNesh (always), and ending with Supreme Brahman - Shri Hari, kRshNa, VishNu (always).

Just because we see only the Murti (archa vigraha) of Lord GaNEsh, does not mean the other devas are not present and honored. They are always present.

The Mahamantra is the ending of the LAST of all the Aaratis, this is Arati to the Supreme Lord : achyutam keshavam rAm nArAyaNam , kRshNa, dAmodaram, vAsudevam, Harim, shridharam mAdhavam GopikA-vallabham jAnaki-nAyakam rAmchandram bhaje.....

Arati is a gesture , expression of welcoming with honor. GAnesh is the VighnahartA , His Arati is first - as a blessing-boon He received from Shri VishNu - that GaNEsh puja will be first, which will remove all vighna - obstacles and difficulties in worship.

On Ganesh Chaturthi, Lord Ganesh comes to visit us, and is the Guest of Honor in homes, neighborhoods and towns. The other devas and the Supreme Lord Shri Hari are also present, to honor GaNesh as well as participate in the celebration, hence a series of Aaratis for them - with modak, laddoos , durvA (kusha) grass , red flowers - preferably hibiscus (favorite things of GaNapati Bappa )

1. Starting with Lord Ganesh (always at the beginning)
followed by :

2. Durga,
    3. Shankar(Shiva),
then

4. Vitthala , then Dattatreya, then any other avataar/form - may vary with region and tradition (paramparA)

5. In the very end is this aarati of the Supreme Lord VishNu which ends with mahAmantra and includes a prayer based on a verse from Shrimad BhAgavatam 11.2.36 .

~*~*~*~*~
    The last Arati is a beautiful prayer of surrender to the Supreme Lord :
    ~*~*~*~*~

Tvam eva mAtA ca pitA Tvam eva
    Tvam eva bandushca sakhA Tvam eva
    Tvam eva vidya , dravinam Tvam eva
    Tvam eva sarvam mama Deva Deva

You alone are the mother, You alone are the father
    You alone are my brother/sister, You alone are my [Dearest] friend
    You alone are my knowledge and my wealth
    You are everything to me, You are the Supreme God of all gods to me.

kAyena vAchA manas-endriyair vaa (based on SB 11.2.36 )
    budhi Atmanava prakriteh svabhAvaat
    karomi yadyat sakalam parasmai
    NArAyanAyeti samarpayAmi

I dedicate everything to that Supreme Lord Narayana,
    whatever I perform with my body, speech, mind, limbs,
    intellect or my inner self, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Achyutam, Keshavam, RAma, NArAyaNam,
    KRshNa, DAmodaram, VAsudevam, Harim,
    Shridharam, Madhavam, GopikAh-Vallabham,
    JAnaki-NAyakam, Ramchandram bhaje
    ( verse : Adi Shankaracharya's composition )

bhaje - I worship and serve
    A-chyuta : the indestructible
    Keshav : the one who killed demon Kesi, One who has most beautiful hair
    RAm : one who sports/lives blissfully in His own Self
    NArayaN : one who lies in the cosmic waters (nara)
    Krshna : the all-attractive one
    Damodara : one who was tied around the stomach by a rope (by mother Yashoda)
    VAsudeva : the Lord who is omniscient and everywhere
    Hari : one who takes away all misery
    Shri-dhara: shelter and maintainer of the Goddess of Fortune (Sri)
    Madhava : the Master of all energies, Lord of Lakshmi
    GopikAh-Vallabh : Lord of the Gopikas
    JAnaki-NAyaka : JAnaki's Lord (JAnaki = SitA )

Hare RAm Hare RAm RAm RAm Hare Hare
    Hare KRshNa Hare KRshNa KRshNa Hare Hare

|| Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namste shian ji,

No it is nothing like that, in my personal life I haven't heard of any ganesha bhajan ending with mahamantra, You might have heard ganesha bhajans as promoted by isckon.

Also lord ganesha himself is para brahman, the supreme lord, Ganesha Upanishad confirms it.

6. You create this world. You maintain this world. All this world is seen in you. You are Earth, water, Fire, Air, Aethyr. You are beyond the four measures of speech. You are beyond the Three Gunas. You are beyond the three bodies. You are beyond the three times. (Ganesha upanishad)

so there is no difference in lord ganesha and his father lord shiva and his mother, the mother of whole universe maa jagad amba.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Shian:

In all honesty, I have never heard of this. Maybe I don't get around very much. Either that or it is just common where you are.

Aum Namasivaya

namaste EM ji,

Even for me I am hearing it first time in my entire life, it is definitely an uncommon thing, I have never heard of ganesha bhajan ending with mahamantra which is definitely not a vedic mantra and not even common mantra among traditional hindus. In fact ganesha arti ends with praise of lord ganesha only or some times with rudra gayatri.(praise of Lord shiva)
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Quote Originally Posted by isavasya View Post
    No it is nothing like that, in my personal life I haven't heard of any ganesha bhajan ending with mahamantra, You might have heard ganesha bhajans as promoted by isckon.
    Namaste Ishavasya

Please read post #4 . I have written what i am quite sure has happened many times. It is NOT GaNesh bhajan ending in mahamantra, nor is it something "promoted by ISKCON".

It is a SERIES of aaratis to all devas ending in Arati to Narayan, which finishes with mahamantra. This is common practice in the state of Maharashtra at least. I believe it is Smarta practice, to say aaratis of all devas. This is also done in front of large gigantic murti of Shri GaNesh during GaNesh Chaturthi and Ganapati Utsav - festival.

Because the other devas are present but unseen, some people wonder what's going on, which is understandable.
    Last edited by smaranam; 04 June 2010 at 01:04 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste smaranam ji,

Well I can't tell about maharashtra, but in north india it is not so, suppose arti is done to lord shiva, then from very beginning to end the arti speaks about Lord shiva only, and there is absolutely no concept of completing it with mahamanntra, the artis of Lord vishnu/ krishna/Rama may have following verses at end 'sriman narayan narayan narayan" or sitaram sitaram radhey shyam radhey shyam".

Even for artis on lord surya etc, there is no concept of ending it with mahamnatra. If a very very devoted vasinava conducts it then only it can be possible , on the same if a shaiva conducts the arti, it will end with Rudra gayatri. Though most of puja begins by invocation of lord ganesha only.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Thank you all

maybe the song i hear is composed by modern people.

But the songs i hear is like Smaranam explained, maybe that is put Narayana bhajan for the end. (composed by peoples)

Yes, i see Ganesh is not different with Parvati and Siva
    and then Ganesh is very dear with Mahashakti (who create Ganesh by Herself)

Om Ganapatiye Svaha

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |

Thread Information