Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bhairava

Re: Bhairava

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    Is Bhairava worshiped by Saivas also as fearful form of Shiva?? ... I have never heard Saivas using the term bhairava which is very much tantric.
    Here you go Singhi, this is a Saivite perspective on Mahakala-Bhairava.

~A.
    -----

Kaala Bhairava - The Lord of the March of Time

Lord Kaala Bhairava is that manifestation of Lord Siva who oversees the march of time.

The inexorable march of time is inexorable only because Lord Kaala Bhairava makes it so.

As the saying goes, time lost is lost forever. There's nothing more precious than time. So intelligent humans should use every moment effectively on the spiritual path. And those want to do this have the divine help of Lord Kaala Bhairava if they request it with sincerity.

Those who tend to fritter away their time on many a trivial pursuit should pray sincerely to Lord Kaala Bhairava if they want to improve their time management skills and if they want to make sure that they use their time intelligently.

Lord Kaala Bhairava is also known as Kshetrapalaka, the Guardian of the temple. In honor of this, keys to the temple are ceremonially submitted to Lord Kaala Bhairava at temple closing time and are received from Him at opening time.

Lord Kaala Bhairava is also the Guardian of travellers. The Siddhas advise us that before embarking on a journey, especially one that involves travel during the night, we should make a garland of cashew nuts and decorate Lord Kaala Bhairava with it. We should light jyothi lamps in His honor and request His protection during our travel.

The vahana (vehicle) of Lord Kaala Bhairava is the dog. Feeding and taking care of dogs is another way of showing our devotion to Lord Kaala Bhairava.

Kaala Bhairava Ashtami, which occurs in December/January is an important day for worshipping the Lord.

There's a shrine for Lord Kaala Bhairava in most Siva temples. The Bhairava shrine in the Arunachala temple is very special. The Kaala Bhairava temple in Kasi (Benares) is a must-see for Bhairava devotees.

The Kaala Bhairava Ashtakam hymn venerates the Lord and is a staple of Bhairava devotees.

May Lord Kaala Bhairava help us use our time effectively on the spiritual path.

Om Salutations to Lord Kaala Bhairava
    Om Salutations to the Lord of the March of Time
    Om Salutations to Maha Guru Sri Agasthiar
    Om Salutations to the Agasthiar Lineage
    Om Salutations to the Siddhas

Source:
    Agasthiar’s Universal Magazine
    Issue 14
    Sri-la-Sri Matha Agasthiar Ashram
    Thiruvannamalai, Tamilnadu, India
    http://www.agasthiar.org/AUMzine/0014-kb.htm

Last edited by Agnideva; 19 April 2007 at 05:45 PM.

Agnideva, can you tell me what the verse of Nilakantha Dharani is have related with Hinduism? (i am very interested to know, but i know a little, in that Dharani have Mahakala , its have related in Hinduism. And have a Krsna name... but now i want to know more... more... hehe..^_^..)

i think, Buddhism and Hinduism have same Nirvana,
    the different of phislosopy about god is not important, coz that is for the begginer. And if we talk about doctrin, an debate about doctrin, somtemies is good, but the most important in Self Realization is our sadhana.
    For example:
    Shian is clever boy, he have read many of Buddhist and Hindu philosopy and doctrin. But he cant controled his emotion, and he never do sadhana.

Agnideva not understand about philosopy and doctrin, but he do the sadhana with heart, and He can attain the samadhi from sadhana, and he can controled his emotion, so he can realize Nirvana.

...^_^...

Agnideva, Vajra-Bhairava is Yamantaka, you can serach in google about Yamantaka, He is manifestasion of Manjusri and Amitabha.
    He very popular in Tibetan Vajrayana and Japan Mantrayana (Shingon).

I chant Kurukulla Mantra, for Vasikarana.

in website i find Hinduism have Kuruklla, that is true?

Agnideva, do you know, why Ganapati called "Ganapati Bappa moriya?" what is the meaning of word "Bappa" and "moriya" ?

Thank you very much

Namaste Shian,

Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post
    Agnideva, can you tell me what the verse of Nilakantha Dharani is have related with Hinduism? (i am very interested to know, but i know a little, in that Dharani have Mahakala , its have related in Hinduism. And have a Krsna name... but now i want to know more... more... hehe..^_^..)
    There are quite a few names actually. I will have to go through the Nilakantha Dharani again and list them for you. I will do this on the Nilakantha thread shortly.

And if we talk about doctrin, an debate about doctrin, somtemies is good, but the most important in Self Realization is our sadhana.
    For example:
    Shian is clever boy, he have read many of Buddhist and Hindu philosopy and doctrin. But he cant controled his emotion, and he never do sadhana.
    Agnideva not understand about philosopy and doctrin, but he do the sadhana with heart, and He can attain the samadhi from sadhana, and he can controled his emotion, so he can realize Nirvana.
    Yes, Shian sadhana is most important. However, I am not sure that I am the best example for someone who has controlled emotions and performed enough sadhana to attain nirvana .

Agnideva, Vajra-Bhairava is Yamantaka, you can serach in google about Yamantaka, He is manifestasion of Manjusri and Amitabha. He very popular in Tibetan Vajrayana and Japan Mantrayana (Shingon).
    Thanks! I will have to look Him up online.

I chant Kurukulla Mantra, for Vasikarana.
    in website i find Hinduism have Kuruklla, that is true?
    Yes. There is a Kurukulla Devi in Hindu Tantra. I think she is also part of the Sri Vidya tradition as one of the Nityakala Devis associated with different phases of the moon. I don’t know too much about Kurukulla, perhaps SM78 knows more. You can see some information on this site: http://www.religiousworlds.com/mandalam/kuru.htm

Agnideva, do you know, why Ganapati called "Ganapati Bappa moriya?" what is the meaning of word "Bappa" and "moriya" ?
    Yes, this one I know . In Maharashtra (state in central India), Ganapati is the most famous and beloved Deity. Every year, there is a Ganapati festival for 10 days beginning with Ganapati’s birthday. So, clay statues of Ganapati are made and worshipped for the festival and then at the end, the statue is ceremoniously submerged in a river or sea. When Ganapati leaves people wish Him goodbye and say, Ganapati Bappa Moraya, Pudhachya Varshi Lavkar Ya meaning “O Lord Ganapati, please come back quickly next year.” Bappa means father or lord. Moraya is actually a name of a saint and devotee of Ganapati who lived ~700 years ago. When the statue of Ganapati is submerged, many people have tears in their eyes because they think Ganapati is leaving them till next year, but the truth is Ganapati is always close to the devotee. Moraya’s name said along with Ganapati’s is meant to remind us that Ganapati never leaves our side, ever!

Jai Ganesha.
    A.

so, Ganapati Bappa moraya is mean “O Ganapati my Father, please don’t leave me” ??
    thank you..^^

Namaste Shian,
    Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post
    so, Ganapati Bappa moraya is mean “O Ganapati my Father, please don’t leave me” ?? thank you..^^
    Yes, you can think of it that way .

Regards,
    A.

who said Shiva and Brahma is lower Deity in Buddhism?
    Shiva is the one of 12 Devas Guardian in Buddhism, He is called Isana or Mahamahesvara.

in:
    # Taisho Tripitaka Vol. 21, No. 1297 The page of make offering to 12 Devas

Buddha said: The 12 Devas is manifestasion of ancient Buddha!

Shiva in Buddhism :

Namaste Agnideva,

there is not a whole lot of public information, concerning Bhairava as he is a very powerful Deity! within himself he contains supreme conciousness and supreme power. in other words all power or Sakti is Bhairava! all conciousness is Bhairava! he is deffinatly a deity to which there is no apposeing force! he is in and of himself Supreme! Bhairava can be very dangerous both to the devotee and to those around the devotee this is why public Information is limited. and why Bhairava Sadhana should be approached carefully and with strictness and absolute self controle. Initiation into Saddhana of Lord Bhairava is a must! The Bhairava of Nepal is Many the one in kathmandu in darbar square I believe is Maha Kal Bhairava he is the protector of the people of Nepal! and the country itself! kings take oaths before him. and are sworn into office in his pressence. He is very important to the people of Nepal! like Siva is to shaivites or Vishnu to Vaishanavites. or Sakti to sakta's so is Bhairava to Nepal!

Post Re: Bhairava

Namaste,

bhairava (from bhIru) means “frightful, terrible, horrible, or formidable”.

bhIru (from bhI) means “fearful, timid, cowardly, or afraid”, and it indicates “a shadow” ~ and the plural is bhIravaH.

So that bhairava is “one of the fearful ones” (the frightful or formidable one) or “one who is of the timid ones” (fleeting or hidden, or protecting those who are afraid) or “one who is of the shadows”.

bhI is “to fear” or “to be afraid or anxious”.

And ru is “to roar, bellow, howl, yelp, or cry aloud”, “to make any noise or sound”, “to sing” or “to praise”; and ru means “to break, shatter or dash to pieces”, “to kill or to be angry”, “to speak”, or simply “to go”; and ru indicates “sound or noise”, “fear or alarm”, “battle or war”, and “cutting or dividing”.

So that bhIru is “to roar, howl, cry out, etc. fearfully” (either out of fear or invoking fear); or “to praise anxiously”.

rava (from ru) is “a roar, yell, cry, howl, song, hum, clamour, or outcry”, “thunder” or “talk” or “any noise or sound (e.g. the ringing of a bell, etc.)”.

So that bhIrava is “a frightful sound” or “formidable thunder” (etc.), and bhairava is the one connected with such shattering or piercing noises.

bhA means “to shine” or “to be bright or luminous”, “to shine forth or appear”, “to be splendid or beautiful or eminent”, “to show, exhibit, or manifest”, or “to be or exist”.

And bhai is the first person singular present case of bhA ~ “I am shining or luminous”, “I am eminent”, “I am appearing or manifesting”, “I am being or existing”, or simply “I am”.

So that bhairava is the “formidable ‘I am’ roar”, the “fearful cry of being”, the very “sound of existence”.

And bhairava, through the root ru is intimately related with the howling rudrAH (plural of rudra).

In essence, bhairava is an avatAra of rudra.
    Last edited by sarabhanga; 19 July 2007 at 01:12 AM.

Smile Re: Bhairava

श्री कालभैरवाष्टकं
    || śrī kālabhairavāṣṭakaṁ ||

देवराजसेव्यमानपावनांघ्रिपङ्कजं व्यालयज्ञसूत्रमिन्दुशेखरं कृपाकरम् ।
    नारदादियोगिवृन्दवन्दितं दिगंबरं काशिकापुराधिनाथकालभैरवं भजे ॥ १ ॥
    भानुकोटिभास्वरं भवाब्धितारकं परं नीलकण्ठमीप्सितार्थदायकं त्रिलोचनम् ।
    कालकालमंबुजाक्शमक्शशूलमक्शरं काशिकापुराधिनाथकालभैरवं भजे ॥ २ ॥
    शूलटंकपाशदण्डपाणिमादिकारणं श्यामकायमादिदेवमक्शरं निरामयम् ।
    भीमविक्रमं प्रभुं विचित्रताण्डवप्रियं काशिकापुराधिनाथकालभैरवं भजे ॥ ३ ॥
    भुक्तिमुक्तिदायकं प्रशस्तचारुविग्रहं भक्तवत्सलं स्थितं समस्तलोकविग्रहम् ।
    विनिक्वणन्मनोज्ञहेमकिङ्किणीलसत्कटिं काशिकापुराधिनाथकालभैरवं भजे ॥ ४ ॥
    धर्मसेतुपालकं त्वधर्ममार्गनाशनं कर्मपाशमोचकं सुशर्मधायकं विभुम् ।
    स्वर्णवर्णशेषपाशशोभितांगमण्डलं काशिकापुराधिनाथकालभैरवं भजे ॥ ५ ॥
    रत्नपादुकाप्रभाभिरामपादयुग्मकं नित्यमद्वितीयमिष्टदैवतं निरंजनम् ।
    मृत्युदर्पनाशनं करालदंष्ट्रमोक्शणं काशिकापुराधिनाथकालभैरवं भजे ॥ ६ ॥
    अट्टहासभिन्नपद्मजाण्डकोशसंततिं दृष्टिपात्तनष्टपापजालमुग्रशासनम् ।
    अष्टसिद्धिदायकं कपालमालिकाधरं काशिकापुराधिनाथकालभैरवं भजे ॥ ७ ॥
    भूतसंघनायकं विशालकीर्तिदायकं काशिवासलोकपुण्यपापशोधकं विभुम् ।
    नीतिमार्गकोविदं पुरातनं जगत्पतिं काशिकापुराधिनाथकालभैरवं भजे ॥ ८ ॥

कालभैरवाष्टकं पठंति ये मनोहरं ज्ञानमुक्तिसाधनं विचित्रपुण्यवर्धनम् ।
    शोकमोहदैन्यलोभकोपतापनाशनं प्रयान्ति कालभैरवांघ्रिसन्निधिं नरा ध्रुवम् ॥

॥ इति श्रीमछंकराचार्यविरचितं श्री कालभैरवाष्टकं संपूर्णम् ॥

devarājasevyamānapāvanāṁghripaṅkajaṁ vyālayajñasūtraminduśekharaṁ kṛpākaram |
    nāradādiyogivṛndavanditaṁ digaṁbaraṁ kāśikāpurādhināthakālabhairavaṁ bhaje || 1 ||

bhānukoṭibhāsvaraṁ bhavābdhitārakaṁ paraṁ nīlakaṇṭhamīpsitārthadāyakaṁ trilocanam |
    kālakālamaṁbujākśamakśaśūlamakśaraṁ kāśikāpurādhināthakālabhairavaṁ bhaje || 2 ||

śūlaṭaṁkapāśadaṇḍapāṇimādikāraṇaṁ śyāmakāyamādidevamakśaraṁ nirāmayam |
    bhīmavikramaṁ prabhuṁ vicitratāṇḍavapriyaṁ kāśikāpurādhināthakālabhairavaṁ bhaje || 3 ||

bhuktimuktidāyakaṁ praśastacāruvigrahaṁ bhaktavatsalaṁ sthitaṁ samastalokavigraham |
    vinikvaṇanmanojñahemakiṅkiṇīlasatkaṭiṁ kāśikāpurādhināthakālabhairavaṁ bhaje || 4 ||

dharmasetupālakaṁ tvadharmamārganāśanaṁ karmapāśamocakaṁ suśarmadhāyakaṁ vibhum |
    svarṇavarṇaśeṣapāśaśobhitāṁgamaṇḍalaṁ kāśikāpurādhināthakālabhairavaṁ bhaje || 5 ||

ratnapādukāprabhābhirāmapādayugmakaṁ nityamadvitīyamiṣṭadaivataṁ niraṁjanam |
    mṛtyudarpanāśanaṁ karāladaṁṣṭramokśaṇaṁ kāśikāpurādhināthakālabhairavaṁ bhaje || 6 ||

aṭṭahāsabhinnapadmajāṇḍakośasaṁtatiṁ dṛṣṭipāttanaṣṭapāpajālamugraśāsanam |
    aṣṭasiddhidāyakaṁ kapālamālikādharaṁ kāśikāpurādhināthakālabhairavaṁ bhaje || 7 ||

bhūtasaṁghanāyakaṁ viśālakīrtidāyakaṁ kāśivāsalokapuṇyapāpaśodhakaṁ vibhum |
    nītimārgakovidaṁ purātanaṁ jagatpatiṁ kāśikāpurādhināthakālabhairavaṁ bhaje || 8 ||

kālabhairavāṣṭakaṁ paṭhaṁti ye manoharaṁ jñānamuktisādhanaṁ vicitrapuṇyavardhanam |
    śokamohadainyalobhakopatāpanāśanaṁ prayānti kālabhairavāṁghrisannidhiṁ narā dhruvam ||

|| iti śrīmachaṁkarācāryaviracitaṁ śrī kālabhairavāṣṭakaṁ saṁpūrṇam ||

Namaste Bhairava,

Thanks much for the info. I don’t know much about Bhairava from the Shakta Tantric perspective. Much of what I’ve found out about Bhairava comes from Saivite traditions, which I will share here (some might be redundant with previous posts in this thread).

In the Puranas, we find that Siva is twice insulted. First He is insulted by Brahma and then again by his son, Daksha-Prajapati. In the first instance, Bhairava emanates from Siva and cuts off the fifth head of Brahma. In the second instance, Virabhadra emanates from Siva and cuts off the head of Daksha. Therefore, both Bhairava and Virabhadra can be seen as Siva Himself, but at the same time they are also His fiery emanations.

The same is reflected in Saiva theology. Bhairava is Siva Himself, and at the same He is the guardian of Siva-kshetras (Siva’s lands).

Seen as a guardian of Siva-kshetras, Mahakala-Bhairava guards the nation of Nepal, which is owned by Lord Pashupatinath. The same is true for the Siva-kshetras in India, most notably the city of Kashi (Varanasi), which is owned by Lord Vishwanath and also guarded by Mahakala-Bhairava. The kalabhairavastakam hymn posted by Sarabhangaji praises Bhairava as the Lord of Kashi. That Mahakala-Bhairava is One, but in His eight forms He becomes also the guardian of eight directions. He is both the center and all the directions, both divided and undivided, both many and one.

Seen as Siva Himself, Bhairava reveals the 64 Bhairava Agamas to Shakti (Bhairavi), which are the source of Kashmir Saiva philosophy. In Kashmir Saivism, Bhairava is said to be derived from bha (bharana; maintenance) + ra (ravana; withdrawal) + va (vamana; bring out or create). So, Bhairava is Siva Himself, the supreme, who brings forth, sustains and withdraws creation back into Himself.

In the Vijnanabhairava Tantra, Bhairava teaches most beautifully of Bhairava:

Understand that the spatial reality of Bhairava is present in everything, in every being, and be this reality. (verse 124)

Bhairava is one with your radiant consciousness; singing the name of Bhairava, one becomes Siva. (verse 130)

O beloved, when the mind, intellect, energy and (the notion of) limited self vanish, then appears that wonderful Bhairava. (verse 138)

aum bhairavaye namah.
    A.

Thread Information