Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: message of peace or cheapness?

message of peace or cheapness?

hi friends i found this article. what you think about this?

http://www.intervarsity.org/ism/article/7624

Re: message of peace or cheapness?

More deception ... its always this sneaky deception stuff. Get your foot in the door.. I am not impressed. Why can't they just come right out front, state their intentions, and then go away. lol

Aum Namasivaya

One of the most effective students I have seen in befriending Hindus takes a genuine interest in Hindu culture. She watches a lot of Bollywood films -----
    The above is a portion of strategy outlined in the cited article. Bollywood is american mentality peppered with indian curry masala. They are targetting those who are already christians.

So, we must continually put everything into God’s hands throughout the process of relating. Prayer keeps us in a solid relationship with Christ and allows us to acknowledge that God is the one at work through our relationships and that God is the only one capable of changing our friends hearts and minds.
    That is good. But Let us see, whose hearts get changed? The hunter may become the hunted.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

When an evangelical Christian forms a 'genuine rather than shallow friendship' with discerning Hindus (of them there are many), there is always a danger of the tables getting turned on the Christian!
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    When an evangelical Christian forms a 'genuine rather than shallow friendship' with discerning Hindus (of them there are many), there is always a danger of the tables getting turned on the Christian!
    Namaste,

So true! I went to a christian school pretty much all the way from KG-12. The high school was a haven for real fundamentalists. Many a christian tried to convert me and at the end of the senior year, these students were so vexed with christianity that they gave up their beliefs and trying to convert others!

Through conversation, back when I was not as aggressive in speech (), I got many of these fundies to question their own beliefs and then they came back to me and stated things like, "You're right! Man, I never thought about it that way!"

Although if a fundie came to me now and tried this conversion nonsense, I'd box his ears in. Dead-jew worshipers are torrid; as described in that article above. Using subterfuge and cunning to convert others is despicable. At least the muslims will never "pretend" to be friends or try to adopt Hindu ideals to convert you.

STOP ALL CONVERSION in INDIA!

Namaskar.

Exactly ! They are happy with Christianity because they never are exposed to what true spirituality is. The exchange will be from both sides. Bible from one side & Vedanta from the other. Who will win ... it is anyone's guess.

However, those who are not well aware of the richness of Sanatan Dharma can get trapped. I have a friend who married a Muslim girl & became Muslim himself believing in his "modernity & openness". However, being his close friend, I know how much he repents the day he took this decision. Today he is neither a Muslim ( because he doesn't follow anything that the Muslims follow) nor he is a Hindu (because he got converted) ... he is emotionally cut off from his world which he loved most but took it too much for granted. He is always worried about the future of his daughter.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by TatTvamAsi View Post
    Namaste,

So true! I went to a christian school pretty much all the way from KG-12. The high school was a haven for real fundamentalists. Many a christian tried to convert me

Namaskar.

do such things happen in states?

Exactly. That has happened many times, not only with the xians but muslims too. Kabir, though a born muslim was more of a Hindu. Raskhan was a muslim in nane only. Example of Yesudas is there. Recall the actor who played Arjuna? He was a muslim, but before Mahabharata was over he was a Hindu.

I will advise Hindus not to go out, but wait for the xians to come.

Namaste saidevo, TatTvamAsi, rcscwc and devotee,

when I read the above remark, I immediately thought this:

Quote Originally Posted by rcscwc View Post
    I will advise Hindus not to go out, but wait for the xians to come.
    I think you have made a very important observation. Admittedly, I have no experience with dialogues between evangelical Christians and Hindus. When I first read about evangelicals on HDF, I even misinterpreted the term as having the same meaning as the German word "evangelisch", which in Germany means "Lutheran protestant". In my experience, German Lutherans have become quite open-minded and tolerant by now, so I wondered how they could be aggressive in India. Moreover, I have hardly met any Hindus in my life.

So who am I to say that you are right (or wrong)?

My opinion is based on a theoretical consideration.

Christianity as it has come down to us suffers from an enormous contradiction: from the outset and throughout the centuries, it has resulted from genuine religious inspiration with an emphasis on surrender and unity with God on the one hand, and the power struggle of a dominant clergy that have suppressed or misused ("if you can't beat them, join them, or rather: fake joining them") spirituality and free inquiry (in both the mystical and scientific fields) for their own ends on the other hand. In the mainstream churches, the emphasis was not on surrender, but on coercion and submission, on power. At the same time, and except for a few "dissonant" passages in the accepted gospels (believed to be biographies of Jesus), it was difficult to reconcile the churches' intolerance and narrow-mindedness with the example of Jesus that continued to inspire believers.

Many of the most fervent Christians are mainly attracted to their faith, and inspired, by Jesus' example of self-sacrifice and his recommendation/commandment to "love thy neighbour like thyself". This attitude prepares them for understanding and accepting a tradition that has been allowed to develop on the basis of the research, experiences and teachings of its living gurus, rather than resulting from persecution and distortion of everything that threatens orthodoxy. Christians often belong to their church as long as they do not see an alternative.

Here on HDF, someone has quoted Mahatma Gandhi's observation that Christians do not look similar to Jesus. This observation can still be made, and it is still founded because Jesus' example was replaced long ago by the prescriptions of a church (later churches) that pretended to represent him "on earth". When I think of Gandhi's "namaskar"-gesture when he was murdered, I am reminded of Jesus' "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do". That is part of what I understand as surrender, and it is how Christians could have behaved if Christianity had developed differently. Some criticism of Gandhi may be justified, but with the possible exception of the Dalai Lama, no politician may ever have conquered more hearts in the West, and Indians should not forget to be proud of that.

Some of you have commented in HDF on Jesus' last words "why hast thou forsaken me", words that do not seem to express surrender at all, but dvaita. You are right, but at the same time there is a hidden advaita meaning in these words which even few Christians are aware of. The Christians' lack of awareness of the spiritual meaning of their own "example", even of his last words, is symptomatic for the paradoxes that have shaped Christianity, for its appalling betrayal of its own very heart. We Westerners are very lucky that the spirituality that was stifled in the West has been allowed to grow in India.

And that is my answer to your question: who will win? Both will win; by benefiting from Hindu Dharma, Christians will get rid of their contradictions. Their religion may not be "simpler" than Sanatana Dharma after all.

And now I wonder if what is needed in defense of Hindu Dharma is not friendly dialogue in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotam View Post
    [...]Some of you have commented in HDF on Jesus' last words "why hast thou forsaken me", words that do not seem to express surrender at all, but dvaita. You are right, but at the same time there is a hidden advaita meaning in these words which even few Christians are aware of. The Christians' lack of awareness of the spiritual meaning of their own "example", even of his last words, is symptomatic for the paradoxes that have shaped Christianity, for its appalling betrayal of its own very heart. We Westerners are very lucky that the spirituality that was stifled in the West has been allowed to grow in India.[...]
    From the Aramaic New Testament (NT) that the Syrian Orthodox church has always had, Yeshua's (Jesus') final words on the cross are translated 'So this is my destiny.' The scholar George Lamsa of Syria translated the Bible from Aramaic and gives evidence that one or more specific Apostles wrote the NT in Aramaic. No matter what one's religion is if you read the sacred texts in a language that they were not spoken in you get some wrong ideas.

Thread Information