Thread: Relentless attacks on Hinduism

Relentless attacks on Hinduism

I know this topic has been discussed before, and I'm sorry if I'm breaking any rules by posting this. Please delete this post if it's inappropriate in any way. I'm personally not interested in politics and I don't believe in caste discrimination; I love Hinduism for its spiritual values and the way it enriches our lives. Therefore it is absolutely heartbreaking for me to see it being relentlessly targeted due to caste based politics in India, especially the place I am from. From the past month, I'm reading non-stop articles of Dalits leaving Hinduism by immersing idols and pictures of the gods in the river, defiling them publicly and other similar acts. Books like Ambedkar's "Riddles in Hinduism" which openly target and attack Hinduism in the most vicious way imaginable, are actively encouraged and propagated everywhere including prominent literary festivals, which claim that Hinduism is nothing but a quagmire of casteism, misogyny and superstition. Apparently just yesterday, an FIR was lodged against a person in my area for making some comments against Ambedkar in a private messaging app. So, that act is a crime against humanity but it is perfectly fine to humiliate Hindu deities publicly, and Hindus are expected to bear it all quietly?

I don't know what's worse, this behaviour or the fact that Hindus don't say a word against it (other than some misguided oddballs who counter it with violence). I don't deny there has been a lot of ugliness due to casteism and still is, I respect Ambedkar for what he did for the oppressed, but the continuous and relentless targeting of Hinduism, the open insults and abusive humiliation of deities really is painful to see. I happen to belong to a so-called "upper" caste, but I've never been concerned about anyone's caste and have always believed in equality. Even in our scriptures, there are several verses supporting this, which has already been discussed in detail in the past. If someone wants to leave Hinduism, they're free to do so in a respectable manner. I don't think the deities did anything regarding their current issues; why take their anger out on them! Isn't giving up hatred one of the core teachings of Buddhism, which they convert to? Yet, there's abundant hatred there. There is a limit to everything, and I feel Hindus need to stop being submissive and offer a respectful but firm and appropriate response to such attacks.

I'm sorry again if I offended anyone; it was not my intention. I just am hurt by all this and apparently since a Hindu being offended is not allowed in this country, I wanted to post my feelings.
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Re: Relentless attacks on Hinduism

Namaste,

Thank you for posting your feelings; no need to apologize for that. It is indeed sad to see people following some 'hot-heads' and feeling that desecrating the deities would somehow compensate for their misery. I guess everyone is looking for others to take the lead to do something - be it to file a FIR or to start a dialog with the disenchanted. Who will that someone be?

Pranam.

I don't want to get involved in dispute that isn't mine,
    but I would like to offer you my perspective as a bystander which maybe you find useful...or maybe you correct me if I'm wrong.
    The caste system, which is inherent to Hinduism, is a public thing.
    This system stepped on these people and their rights for aeons (metaphorically and probably physically).
    Why are you surprised then, that they have hatred towards this system, and that they want publicly express it while renouncing that same system?

...yes well, they could have done in differently. But I think it is at least understandable that some choose to do it in that manner...

Namaste

So, that act is a crime against humanity but it is perfectly fine to humiliate Hindu deities publicly, and Hindus are expected to bear it all quietly?
    That's a small price Hindus are paying for having followed महात्मन् like herds . I do not wish to go in lengths

I just am hurt by all this and apparently since a Hindu being offended is not allowed in this country, I wanted to post my feelings.
    The last time I checked, we had lost our right to feel bad / offended long back because we followed the guidance rendered to us by a महात्मन् who felt exercising our right will hurt under privileged souls

I'm sorry again if I offended anyone; it was not my intention.
    You are not alone
    Anirudh...

Thanks for the replies and views, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by maa View Post
    I don't want to get involved in dispute that isn't mine,
    but I would like to offer you my perspective as a bystander which maybe you find useful...or maybe you correct me if I'm wrong.
    The caste system, which is inherent to Hinduism, is a public thing.
    This system stepped on these people and their rights for aeons (metaphorically and probably physically).
    Why are you surprised then, that they have hatred towards this system, and that they want publicly express it while renouncing that same system?

...yes well, they could have done in differently. But I think it is at least understandable that some choose to do it in that manner...
    See, I don't deny this. And I won't say I amsurprised. But there's a huge difference between addressing these particular aspects (and particularly the people responsible for violating those rights) and painting with a broad stroke every bit of Hinduism being casteist, superstitious, inhuman and branding all Hindus as zealots who care about nothing but caste. There are texts and scripture against this notion of caste as well, discussed in previous threads. Sometime ago I came across a rare article that showed the truth on both sides fairly, including the wretched condition quite a lot of the so-called elite abusive upper-caste Hindus are living in, and other similar points that other reports conveniently didn't feel worth mentioning. Not to mention some folks seem to find a way to drag Hinduism into everything to blame. I at least cannot accept public defacing of Hindu deities, when they don't even have anything to do with this. That's just what I was referring to.

The fact that publicly humiliating Hindu deities to vent one's anger is largely considered acceptable behaviour (while Dr. Ambedkar's cartoon in a schoolbook is enough to nearly start riots across the country), books and films like PK which openly ridicule and denigrate Hinduism are doing swell business in the country with relatively minor opposition, is also what makes me seriously question the "saffronisation" and claims of legendary Hindu intolerance and tyrrany which people (particularly on media) are propagating.

Thanks for your views.
    Last edited by Obelisk; 11 June 2017 at 02:19 PM.
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

And what is your feeling about the reasons for this process -
    is it a spontaneous trend of on going growing wave of globalization/liberal ideas that began penetrating the Indian minds,
    or is it the result of deliberate political decision of forcing progress and progressive views on the population, that normally would stay immune to this world's trend

...I know that it is tricky and probably (surely) there is no a clear-cut black-and-white answer...but still, I'd like to hear your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by maa View Post
    And what is your feeling about the reasons for this process -
    is it a spontaneous trend of on going growing wave of globalization/liberal ideas that began penetrating the Indian minds,
    or is it the result of deliberate political decision of forcing progress and progressive views on the population, that normally would stay immune to this world's trend

...I know that it is tricky and probably (surely) there is no a clear-cut black-and-white answer...but still, I'd like to hear your opinion
    Probably both, to some extent. For me personally, its sad to see everything spiritual slowly getting pushed back in favour of this political stuff. Hinduism always seems to be in the news for these reasons, and politicians use it to achieve their ends. A startling number of Hindus I've interacted with seem to not be familiar with their own texts and philosophy. They don't know what to answer when faced with critics and are easy to be made to feel ashamed of their own dharma. Not to mention, the outlook of people seems to have become largely cynical and determinedly negative. For example whenever I see discussion about the Ramayana, 90% of the time its about the handful of controversial topics (Sita's banishment, the Shambuka story, etc) repeatedly. Rarely do I see people discussing the plethora of valuable life lessons to be learned there. Obviously change cannot occur overnight, but I hope it does.

Sorry for the late reply, have been busy with studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk View Post
    Books like Ambedkar's "Riddles in Hinduism" which openly target and attack Hinduism in the most vicious way imaginable, are actively encouraged and propagated everywhere including prominent literary festivals, which claim that Hinduism is nothing but a quagmire of casteism, misogyny and superstition. Apparently just yesterday, an FIR was lodged against a person in my area for making some comments against Ambedkar in a private messaging app. So, that act is a crime against humanity but it is perfectly fine to humiliate Hindu deities publicly, and Hindus are expected to bear it all quietly?

I don't know what's worse, this behaviour or the fact that Hindus don't say a word against it (other than some misguided oddballs who counter it with violence). I don't deny there has been a lot of ugliness due to casteism and still is, I respect Ambedkar for what he did for the oppressed, but the continuous and relentless targeting of Hinduism, the open insults and abusive humiliation of deities really is painful to see. I happen to belong to a so-called "upper" caste, but I've never been concerned about anyone's caste and have always believed in equality. Even in our scriptures, there are several verses supporting this, which has already been discussed in detail in the past. If someone wants to leave Hinduism, they're free to do so in a respectable manner. I don't think the deities did anything regarding their current issues; why take their anger out on them! Isn't giving up hatred one of the core teachings of Buddhism, which they convert to? Yet, there's abundant hatred there. There is a limit to everything, and I feel Hindus need to stop being submissive and offer a respectful but firm and appropriate response to such attacks.
    Ambdker's buddhism has nothing to do with teachings of great shakya muni Buddha or Neo buddhist schools like ZEN. Ambedkar reduced great shunya vada to a rabid political insanity like abrahamic religion. Even by the standards of Buddhist critics of Dharma , Ambedkar is not a buddhist out of love for Buddha or for Buddhist philosophy. He EMBRACED BUDDHISM to harm hinduism. He reduced philosophy and ritualistic debates to debates of casteism and politics.

Hare Krsna

Ambdker's buddhism has nothing to do with teachings of great shakya muni Buddha or Neo buddhist schools like ZEN. Ambedkar reduced great shunya vada to a rabid political insanity like abrahamic religion. Even by the standards of Buddhist critics of Dharma , Ambedkar is not a buddhist out of love for Buddha or for Buddhist philosophy. He EMBRACED BUDDHISM to harm hinduism. He reduced philosophy and ritualistic debates to debates of casteism and politics.
    This is totally true, the division of original Buddha Dharma from Veda and Vedanta is man made construct, Buddhism was actually created in 18th centurry, and original Buddha Dharma, Abhidharma was really only based on citta bhavana or training the citta in ways of enlightenment via shila, Samadhi and Panna~prajna, they taught ways to purifying and enlighten the citta, not intellectual systems, philosophy or beliefs systems, in Ancient China and still to do this day Temples were known as way centres that taught Buddha~ who awakens the citta, Dharma~ into reality as it is without modifications and Sangha strength in community

Ambdker's was a protagonist, causing further division to the people in India, picking up on sentiments and further brainwashing people with divisive means, causing greater false division's in the Dharma and Samadhi traditions that Buddha was anti Vedic and making people fight and argue, Buddha did no such thing, the ramifications are still going on to this day fuelled by the Intellectuals and media brainwashed, an old divide and conquer technique.

Anveshana Ji,

i highly recommend to do some deeper research if you want to on what is real Zen and some of the Chinese and other eastern forms of Buddha Dharma, maybe today's Zen is not that great but original zen of Northern and southern traditions are the same as the Vedic traditions in essence, although the outer forms of practice may vary . Zen simple means Dhyana, they are samadhi traditions and like many have been forced into silence because it doesn't fit with global materialism.

Namaste Anveshana JI

HE EMBRACED BUDDHISM TO HARM HINDUISM
    Lets us try to see that there are no isms in sanatana dharma, be it Hinduism or Buddhism or any other ism created by ink and mundane words powered by avidya, although for conventions sake we can still use them to teach those caught up in linguistic illusions but not to divide, but as method, the heart of sanatana dharma is one, only believers in mundane man made ideas and imprinted on the western hemisphere of the brain which are paurusheya to make distinctions in DharmaVada's, such as us and them, me and you, insiders and outsiders to further cement the man made ideas which only cause problems and arise purely from bodily idenfication, veda is apaurusheya beyond all this, combination of light and sound, nada and joyti, chandra and surya, Mogallana and Sariputra, the attendents of Buddha~Tathāgata Sugata~Brahman.

THE NOBLE EIGHTFOLD PATH (PALI: ARIYA AṬṬHAṄGIKA MAGGA; SANSKRIT: ĀRYĀṢṬĀṄGAMĀRGA

Right understanding (Samma ditthi)
    Right thought (Samma sankappa)
    Right speech (Samma vaca)
    Right action (Samma kammanta)
    Right livelihood (Samma ajiva
    Right effort (Samma vayama)
    Right mindfulness (Samma sati)
    Right concentration (Samma samadhi)

You can do some links with Sanskrit if needed, my time is short, or I may come back and add them if needed later, its a worthy synthesis.

samma, Sam is equanimity in samkhya, ma is Devi, she links one with Buddha the awakened Self luminous Bhagavan, please check some Pali suttas and Chanting where Buddha is Bhagavan illuminating the citta. ( YO SO) bhagava araham sammasambuddho

citta in ancient langue of , VAN, VAC, Vad, vak or divine inner speech sound, was known as the follower, if the citta becomes conditioned by outside phenomena it creates greed, hatred and ignorance klesha, if the citta follows the inner direction then it removes greed, hatred and ignorance and is woken up by buddha. Its very simple, hard to overcome and subtle but simple. When that internal sound is heard, all Vad's which have been turned into isms unify and all divisions are removed. This is the power of dharmachakra, turned by buddha and the root s aryastangamarga, realized in samkhya in the citta, illuminated by buddha.

If you need any further evidence from the suttas that Buddha Dharma, and Abhidharma is none different to Vedic margs I can add some links to suttas, but the translations in English are not very good and rather blunt and translated mostly by blind people, its best to learn these langues/speeches vaks as forms of meditation within one sadhana, read little, recite with devotion ,meditate more, support meditation through samkhya and sattvic living. Sila , samadhi, prajna

om tare tuttare Soha
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 21 April 2019 at 07:24 AM.

Thread Information