Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I do not class myself as Vegetarian!

Hi, I do not class myself as Vegetarian!

Nor do I wish to, lol,

However I did stop eating meat, then drinking beer last year, I dont know why,

I still smoke (tobacco) and recently not sure how things are where you live but I make rolling tobacco and I started using filters in them, which make it less stronger, also Im not smoking like before.

I started doing Puja last year also, I have always believed in God but it never felt like God was there much regarding myself and my long hard life, as it hasnt been nice.

But recently it has felt like God came into mylife and everything changed, Im a very spiritual person, however I am not as spiritual in the same way as I use to be. It seem I have changed in many ways, but I still have a far way to go.

Regarding being "vegetarian" I dont know if it is for me, although ive nearly not had meat for a year. But I guess with beer and meat I thought itd be nice to have a detox and I did this at Navratri time last year so im nearly there.

Health wise it felt really bad to begin with, I was most confused at restraunts where I had NO Idea what to order as I didnt "know" Vegetarian food, lol. Not in the restraunt way where I would order the food I loved eg meat which I couldnt get at home.

I still am confused to what a vegetarian could order which would be a blessing to go out and eat, lol. I never got to eat meat at home much specially indian style so I guess was always nice to eat out.

How does Being Vegetarian effect you and your life? does it make much of a difference to God? Does it affect our spiritual journey as Im on one, although now it is in relation to God?

Re: Hi, I do not class myself as Vegetarian!

Namaste,

I am sorry to read that you have had a difficult life. Hope things are better now.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeopen View Post
    I still am confused to what a vegetarian could order which would be a blessing to go out and eat
    We can all use a hearty laugh once in a while and what could be more amusing than an Indian Hindu asking about vegetarian food served in Indian restaurants. Are you for real? Your profile says you are in India, where most restaurants serve ample vegetarian food. And your intro says you live in UK, where there are tons of Indian restaurants, and if you want to venture into other ethnic foods, there is the vegetarian pizza, pasta with vegetarian sauce, vegetarian lasgna, vegetarian middle eastern dishes, vegetarian Russian dishes and much more. What exactly is your question, if any?

How does Being Vegetarian.........make much of a difference to God?
    Does one become a vegetarian for God's benefit? What is the real question here?

It does not take long for trolls to expose themselves for what they are.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 03 October 2013 at 04:10 PM.

namaste,

I still am confused to what a vegetarian could order which would be a blessing to go out and eat, lol.
    That's easy. When at a restaurant, tell them to give you something to eat that didn't have parents.

I once was at a 'Stakehouse' (long story) yet they gave me vegetarian food even after the Waitress reminded me when I was hard time finding something on their menu by saying, "sir, you are at a stakehouse."
    satay

Lol, I never expected this kind of reply, you just dont get my sense of Humour.

Ok so to verify Im in the UK, born n bread, which means all my life basically.

I do not live in India and also profile says Im Sanatana Dharma, so does every one elses so maybe site error? But No I am a indian Hindu. Explained all what I believe in my Intro thread. Also my posts are governed by the Moderators they saw my sense of humour and truthfulness in my posts and threads, so you should too.

We, are mayeb different to you in India? Although I have been there 4 times, I love it there, I use to go to Gujarat Vijapur, and recently Ahemdabad.

I was and have always been into meat, I gave up Beef Last year in the name of God, I wont change my mind regarding this.

As for being Vegetarian, I dont want to be, I dont know why I cant eat meat at the moment, only God can answer this.

As for how it make a difference to God, its an honest question. I wish to have opinions of Knoledgeable people, regarding meat and Karma, spirituality, shakti, etc. How eating Meat effects ones spirituality etc.

Im closer to God than alot fo people so please dont insult me by calling me a Troll. I do Puja, I go to the Mandir, spend longer preying than others, I use to go Swadhya and dont now but still know and say the Trikhal Sandhya every day. I also read the Prarthna Priti to those who know what it is.

Jai Shree Radha Krishna.

Also Its Laxshmi Puja day, so shes probably watching me, lol.
    Last edited by eyeopen; 04 October 2013 at 02:09 PM.

Luckily for me, the whole vegetarian thing never took root with me. My family is non-veg by tradition, they used to do buffalo sacrifice in our ancestral home 5 generations ago. So while I'm aware of the schools of thought that emphasize vegetarianism, it never was a part of me.

BTW, much like anything else in Sanatan Dharm, you use vegetarianism as a technique for self-growth and development, you're not "doing it for God." You do things for your own growth, and yes, in the process of becoming a human being of higher consciousness, you are doing good things for community, humanity and nature, which in essence is doing good by God.

Refraining from meat is recommended in the schools of thought where they believe that meat is a testosterone-boosting commodity that disturbs the mental balance. There is some truth to that, but my own belief system is more in line with kaulachari thoughts of seeking moksha through bhoga, so there is nothing wrong in it. In fact recently I was talking to a Ramakrishna Mission monk about this very topic and he was telling me why they are okay with eating eggs but still not okay with beef, and he was very explicit about how beef will make you lust after women by raising your libido and thus disturb your inner peace. I was very respectful of swami of course, but I found it funny because I have eaten beef all my life and I and other people find me very peaceful and centered person. When I eat vegetable like beet, then I'm a different person Also I see my wife in devi-rup (it helps her eyes look like Maa Durga), so there is no question of deliberately subsidizing my masculinity, but instead I focus on emphasizing the male energy within...

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by redifflal View Post
    .........my own belief system is more in line with kaulachari thoughts of seeking moksha through bhoga, ....
    Excuse the digression, but curiosity got the better of me and this is a learning opportunity for me.

What exactly is Kaulachari thought? How do you practice Hinduism in this line of thought? What are the pujas performed, rituals conducted, and which deities are revered? I would appreciate if you could explain in detail about your daily religious observances, activities and sadhana in pursuit of higher consciousness through this line of thought. Do you celebrate the mainstream Hindu festivals like Janamashtami, Diwali, Ramnavami etc.? Thank you.

Pranam.

As for how it make a difference to God, its an honest question. I wish to have opinions of Knoledgeable people, regarding meat and Karma, spirituality, shakti, etc. How eating Meat effects ones spirituality etc.
    For starters try with this one:

"Having well considered the (disgusting) origin of flesh and the (cruelty of) fettering and slaying corporeal beings, let him entirely abstain from eating flesh." (Manu-smriti 5.49)

Although according to dharma shastras to eat meat that has been properly offered in sacrifice according to injunctions of the scriptures is not prohibited, nevertheless people are encouraged to entirely abstain from eating flesh.
    Manu continues "abstention brings great rewards" (Manu-smriti 5.56), and provides a practical example of such rewards:

"By subsisting on pure fruit and roots, and by eating food fit for ascetics (in the forest), one does not gain (so great) a reward as by entirely avoiding (the use of) flesh." (Manu-smriti 5.54)

Offering of non-vegetarian food to Lord Vishnu is totally out of the question. Only offering of sattvic vegetarian food is allowed in this case.

regards

Vannakkam ... and the chapter from the classic Tirukkural :

Abstaining from Eating Meat

How can he practice true compassion
    Who eats the flesh of an animal to fatten his own flesh?
    Riches cannot be found in the hands of the thriftless,
    Nor can compassion be found in the hearts of those who eat meat.
    Goodness is never one with the minds of these two:
    One who wields a weapon and one who feasts on a creatures' flesh.
    If you ask, "What is kindness and what is unkind?"
    It is not killing and killing. Thus, eating flesh is never virtuous.
    Life is perpetuated by not eating meat.
    The clenched jaws of hell hold those who do.
    If the world did not purchase and consume meat,
    There would be none to slaughter and offer meat for sale.
    When a man realizes that meat is the butchered flesh
    Of another creature, he must abstain from eating it.
    Perceptive souls who have abandoned passion
    Will not feed on flesh abandoned by life.
    Greater then a thousand ghee offerings consumed in sacrificial fires
    Do not do sacrifice and consume any living creature.
    All that lives will press palms together in prayerful adoration
    Of those who refuse to slaughter and savor meat.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam ... and the chapter from the classic Tirukkural :
    Pranams, EM:

Because my ignorance of Sangam Literature and Tamil Books of Law is appalling, I have always wanted to ask the following:

Is the Tirukkural a Hindu text?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Pranams, EM:

Because my ignorance of Sangam Literature and Tamil Books of Law is appalling, I have always wanted to ask the following:

Is the Tirukkural a Hindu text?
    Vannakkam: You're kidding, right? (Just in case you're not, yes it is. It's Tamil Saivism's greatest ethical scripture, penned some 2200 years ago.)

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information